Rash from hydration pack straps

Old September 27th 14, 10:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Rash from hydration pack straps

Folks,

Tried in a European NG but no luck so far. I get a nasty-looking red
skin rash on my shoulders and upper chest where the main carrying straps
of by hydration pack run along. I generally cycle in a thin T-shirt
because I can't take anything other than cotton. Gets totally sweaty, of
course. The backpack is a Zefal hydration pack and weighs about 12lbs at
the start of a ride, about 6lbs at the end after most water is consumed.
The rides are usually 3-4h long, sometimes strenuous and on rough
offroad terrain so the backpack jumps a lot.

Thick cotton layers over the straps didn't help much. Does anyone else
have that problem? Any ideas what to do?

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old September 28th 14, 04:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://goo.gl/j2obF3
Old September 28th 14, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 27 Sep 2014 14:15:06 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

Folks,

Tried in a European NG but no luck so far. I get a nasty-looking red
skin rash on my shoulders and upper chest where the main carrying straps
of by hydration pack run along. I generally cycle in a thin T-shirt
because I can't take anything other than cotton. Gets totally sweaty, of
course. The backpack is a Zefal hydration pack and weighs about 12lbs at
the start of a ride, about 6lbs at the end after most water is consumed.
The rides are usually 3-4h long, sometimes strenuous and on rough
offroad terrain so the backpack jumps a lot.

Thick cotton layers over the straps didn't help much. Does anyone else
have that problem? Any ideas what to do?

That is 2.7 Kg of drink in 3 hours? Unless you are riding in the heat
of the day that sounds like a lot although that is also dependent on
how hard you are working.

But why not switch to bottles? You can get those behind the seat racks
and carry two on the frame and two behind the seat and the large
bottles would make up about the approximately 3 liters that you say
you are drinking.
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old September 28th 14, 07:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

wrote:

[...]

Ever tried riding one hand over rough terrain? It's why many people
move away from bottles for mountain biking.

--
JS

Old September 28th 14, 07:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

Tried in a European NG but no luck so far. I get a nasty-looking red
skin rash on my shoulders and upper chest where the main carrying straps
of by hydration pack run along. I generally cycle in a thin T-shirt
because I can't take anything other than cotton. Gets totally sweaty, of
course. The backpack is a Zefal hydration pack and weighs about 12lbs at
the start of a ride, about 6lbs at the end after most water is consumed.
The rides are usually 3-4h long, sometimes strenuous and on rough
offroad terrain so the backpack jumps a lot.

Thick cotton layers over the straps didn't help much. Does anyone else
have that problem? Any ideas what to do?

http://usa.zefal.com/hydrationpacks/
What are the straps and pads made from? Rubber? Latex? Polyester?
Leather? There should be a tag with washing instructions somewhere.

If the thick cotton wrap gets soaked with perspiration, then there
might be something soluble in the straps that is producing an allergic
reaction. To give the pads some liquid isolation, try trapping the
pads in cellophane wrap and then bury them under a layer of thick
cotton.

Replace the padding on the straps with something made from
anti-allergy cotton. The web photos look like they can be removed
without much surgery.

I had some allergy like rashes from my hiking backpack pads because I
used too much laundry detergent for cleaning, and didn't rinse it
sufficiently. The problem went away after a thorough rise in very hot
water.

Perhaps dust mites in the strap padding?

Get an all cotton baby carrier:
http://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Comfort-Backpack-Fashion-Adjustable/dp/B00EY8PV1W
Turn it around backwards, hang it on your back, insert water bag, add
plumbing, and you're done.

If you can run a sewing machine, make your own cotton straps and
padded covers.

Some cheap remedies:
http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/home-remedies-for-saddle-sores-and-chamois-rash

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 28th 14, 12:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

If your, what do they call it? Irrigation system, whatever, causes you
to break out in spots I think that the bottles might be a better
choice.

Or just live with spots :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.
Old September 28th 14, 01:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ever tried riding one hand over rough terrain? It's why many people
move away from bottles for mountain biking.

BBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

when's the plane leave ?

Old September 28th 14, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:
http://goo.gl/j2obF3

Unfortunately that doesn't work on my MTB frame. Not enough volume
available.

Old September 28th 14, 03:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Folks,

Tried in a European NG but no luck so far. I get a nasty-looking red
skin rash on my shoulders and upper chest where the main carrying straps
of by hydration pack run along. I generally cycle in a thin T-shirt
because I can't take anything other than cotton. Gets totally sweaty, of
course. The backpack is a Zefal hydration pack and weighs about 12lbs at
the start of a ride, about 6lbs at the end after most water is consumed.
The rides are usually 3-4h long, sometimes strenuous and on rough
offroad terrain so the backpack jumps a lot.

Thick cotton layers over the straps didn't help much. Does anyone else
have that problem? Any ideas what to do?

That is 2.7 Kg of drink in 3 hours? Unless you are riding in the heat
of the day that sounds like a lot although that is also dependent on
how hard you are working.

It's 3h of really hard riding and often it's well over 100F or 40C. It
all comes back out in the form of sweat, I never need a nature call stop.

But why not switch to bottles? You can get those behind the seat racks
and carry two on the frame and two behind the seat and the large
bottles would make up about the approximately 3 liters that you say
you are drinking.

Can't. MTB riders often have to hover behind the seat, there isn't much
space to begin with and it would also block the rear light. Plus it
won't likely fit more than a 24oz bottle which is like a drop in the bicket.

My frame space is all used up by suspension gear and so on, the bike
doesn't even have screws for a bottle holder because none would fit. So
I have one on the handlebar and got the biggest bottle I could, 28oz or
almost one liter.

Old September 28th 14, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

Tried in a European NG but no luck so far. I get a nasty-looking red
skin rash on my shoulders and upper chest where the main carrying straps
of by hydration pack run along. I generally cycle in a thin T-shirt
because I can't take anything other than cotton. Gets totally sweaty, of
course. The backpack is a Zefal hydration pack and weighs about 12lbs at
the start of a ride, about 6lbs at the end after most water is consumed.
The rides are usually 3-4h long, sometimes strenuous and on rough
offroad terrain so the backpack jumps a lot.

Thick cotton layers over the straps didn't help much. Does anyone else
have that problem? Any ideas what to do?

http://usa.zefal.com/hydrationpacks/

I have the blue 2L version.

What are the straps and pads made from? Rubber? Latex? Polyester?
Leather? There should be a tag with washing instructions somewhere.

There is no tag but it feels like the material that modern duffel bags
are made from and between the outer material and the mesh there is some
sort of foam to buffer the load.

I kept the glossy cardboard tag that came with it but it doesn't say
either. But ... good point, I could write to them and ask.

If the thick cotton wrap gets soaked with perspiration, then there
might be something soluble in the straps that is producing an allergic
reaction. To give the pads some liquid isolation, try trapping the
pads in cellophane wrap and then bury them under a layer of thick
cotton.

That is a good idea. It should show whether the problem is allergic or
abrasion.

Replace the padding on the straps with something made from
anti-allergy cotton. The web photos look like they can be removed
without much surgery.

The big straps would require serious surgery at the top. They hold the
bag and are impressively sturdy. Like a safety belt. This backpack was
once snagged by a thick Manzanita branch and it pulled me clear off the
bike at around 20mph. Ok, I shouldn't have gone 20mph on that trail section.

I had some allergy like rashes from my hiking backpack pads because I
used too much laundry detergent for cleaning, and didn't rinse it
sufficiently. The problem went away after a thorough rise in very hot
water.

I tried that, didn't help.

Perhaps dust mites in the strap padding?

That I would seriously doubt.

Get an all cotton baby carrier:
http://www.amazon.com/Carrier-Comfort-Backpack-Fashion-Adjustable/dp/B00EY8PV1W
Turn it around backwards, hang it on your back, insert water bag, add
plumbing, and you're done.

This sort of all cotton would shred within very few rides. I often go on
trails that are overgrown. So my backpack, my clothing and unfortunately
my arms and legs get scraped like the sides of well-worn offroad
vehicles. But the straps might work.

If you can run a sewing machine, make your own cotton straps and
padded covers.

I have cotton padding on the straps right now it but doesn't help much.

Some cheap remedies:
http://www.active.com/cycling/articles/home-remedies-for-saddle-sores-and-chamois-rash

Thanks, got it bookmarked. Currently I am using Aloe Vera Cool & Fresh
creme from CVS.