A Cautionary Tale

Old February 5th 04, 05:33 PM
Spencer Bullen

Default A Cautionary Tale

Greetings,

check out this link:

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/ned...BikeMovie.html

I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help but laugh. A the same time, maybe
helmets are a good idea?

T.T.F.N.

SPENNY

Old February 5th 04, 05:43 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"Spencer Bullen" wrote in message

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/ned...BikeMovie.html

One of the more lunatic pro-helmet sites is actually suggesting that helmets
with chin-guards be mandated to prevent the injury that lad probably
sustained.

Me, I think they are fiddling at the edges of the problem and should go
straight to full body armour. Obviously it's not needed indoors, so it
needs to be easy to get in and out. The logical design would be a sort of
box with a seat that you sit in. It would be too heavy to pedal, so you'd
need an engine...

--
Guy
===

http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old February 5th 04, 05:50 PM
David Martin

On 5/2/04 5:43 pm, in article , "Just
zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

"Spencer Bullen" wrote in message

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/ned...BikeMovie.html

One of the more lunatic pro-helmet sites is actually suggesting that helmets
with chin-guards be mandated to prevent the injury that lad probably
sustained.

Chin guards wouldn't help in this case. Heed need ful limpact resistant
goggles to keep the foliage out of his face..

...d

Old February 5th 04, 07:37 PM
Peter B

"Spencer Bullen" wrote in message
Greetings,

check out this link:

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/ned...BikeMovie.html

Bloody 'ell, I
--
Regards,
Pete bet that hurt!

Old February 6th 04, 10:06 AM
W K

"Spencer Bullen" wrote in message
Greetings,

check out this link:

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/ned...BikeMovie.html

I know I shouldn't but I couldn't help but laugh. A the same time, maybe
helmets are a good idea?

I note that the more extreme examples of the BHiT mentality is relying on
this sort of thing.

If kids playing on bikes without helmets should be made illegal - its more
the "playing" than the lack of helmet thats going to get them injured so
bikes that encourage such riding styles should also be made illegal.

Ban all jump bikes, BMX bikes and almost all MTBs!

(I must admit that I had a rather dull girly upright bike, but did do jumps
until the frame was so badly cracked it wobbled).

Old February 6th 04, 10:52 AM
Graeme

"W K" wrote in
:

(I must admit that I had a rather dull girly upright bike, but did do
jumps until the frame was so badly cracked it wobbled).

My first bike was a Triang shopper. Naturally this had zero street cred,
however my status in the eyes of my friends rose considerably as I was the
first person to break their bike jumping over a small ramp. It sheared
between the steering tube and the down tube (no top tube on it at all).
Triang obviously had more gentle shoppers than me in mind when they built
it :-)

I still remember walking home with the two bits in my hand :-(

Cheers,

Graeme
Old February 6th 04, 11:01 AM
W K

"Graeme" wrote in message
4.51...
"W K" wrote in
:

(I must admit that I had a rather dull girly upright bike, but did do
jumps until the frame was so badly cracked it wobbled).

My first bike was a Triang shopper. Naturally this had zero street cred,

Unlike the Raleigh shopper eh?
I saw the times had a picture of George Best on one in the 1970s (for an
article by Lance).
Has anyone ever seen this on the web?

however my status in the eyes of my friends rose considerably as I was the
first person to break their bike jumping over a small ramp. It sheared
between the steering tube and the down tube (no top tube on it at all).

Mine was a second hand, possibly 60's girl's framed bike (and this was the
80s). No cred at all, even in its death - it was ridable when wobbly.

Old February 6th 04, 01:55 PM
Mark Thompson

If kids playing on bikes without helmets should be made illegal - its more
the "playing" than the lack of helmet thats going to get them injured so
bikes that encourage such riding styles should also be made illegal.

Ban all jump bikes, BMX bikes and almost all MTBs!

Don't forget those dangerous roads - ban all road bikes too. My job will not be
finished until we all ride exercise bikes!

---

Old February 6th 04, 02:20 PM
W K

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot)
wrote in message ...

My job will not be
finished until we all ride exercise bikes!

huh.
Those things are dangerous too.

Old February 6th 04, 02:29 PM
Mark Thompson

My job will not be
finished until we all ride exercise bikes!

huh.
Those things are dangerous too.

hmmm, you've given me an idea....

---