Hope minis - leaking from top caps

Old May 27th 05, 04:48 PM
wheeler

Default Hope minis - leaking from top caps

I've had a problem for a while with my minis - they've been leaking from
under the reservoir top caps. I've replaced the diaphragms and the easily
rounded M3 bolts, which seemed to cure the front brake, but not the rear.
By the end of a day's riding I'd lost the rear brake completely, and ended
up having to do a bleed/refill in the Coed y Brenin car park, not fun!

Has anyone else had this problem? One concern I have is that I've tightened
the cap too much and distorted it (they only need to be nipped tight
according to Hope, who didn't have any suggestions apart from 'replace the
diaphragms'). But the caps *look* ok, and the front seems to be alright now.

Any Hope guru advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers
Ben

--
Spam trap: Replace spamisdoomed with ben

Old May 27th 05, 05:32 PM
Treefrog

"wheeler" wrote in message
I've had a problem for a while with my minis - they've been leaking from
under the reservoir top caps. I've replaced the diaphragms and the easily
rounded M3 bolts, which seemed to cure the front brake, but not the rear.
By the end of a day's riding I'd lost the rear brake completely, and ended
up having to do a bleed/refill in the Coed y Brenin car park, not fun!

Has anyone else had this problem? One concern I have is that I've

tightened
the cap too much and distorted it (they only need to be nipped tight
according to Hope, who didn't have any suggestions apart from 'replace the
diaphragms'). But the caps *look* ok, and the front seems to be alright

now.

Any Hope guru advice would be much appreciated!

Check for scratches or scores on the cap, however, it's likely that you've
knackered the diaphram by over tightening... not that I've ever done that of
course ;o(

Old May 27th 05, 05:53 PM
wheeler

Treefrog wrote:
"wheeler" wrote in message
[...]

doh!
Thanks...better get some more diaphragms I suppose. At least they're cheap!

Old May 28th 05, 08:28 AM
Paul - xxx

Treefrog came up with the following;:
"wheeler" wrote in message
[...]

What he said.

They're not a 'pressurised' system, so the diaphragm really is only a seal,
it's not a pressure seal, and as such only needs a light torque on the
screws to clamp it down enough for a seal to be made.

Providing the screws and hole threads aren't nackered, finger tighten until
you can't, then use a screwdriver to tighten each scre in turn another
quarter turn at a time, evenly, until they're tight. It is important to
tighten the tops evenly to stop any potential distortion.

Have fun.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 28th 05, 10:08 AM
LSMike

"wheeler" wrote in message
[...]

"Easily rounded M3" bolts is a key pointer to the problem, IMO.

Old May 28th 05, 10:55 AM
Paul - xxx

LSMike came up with the following;:
"wheeler" wrote in message
[...]

Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way too far,
hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each screw/bolt.

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Old May 31st 05, 09:13 AM
wheeler

"wheeler" wrote in message
[...]

ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a little bit
overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how the thing works.
Still, I quite like the industrial look of the chunky slot head bolts I've
replaced them with :-)

Old May 31st 05, 11:41 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , wheeler
') wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:

Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way
too far, hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each
screw/bolt.

ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a
little bit overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how
the thing works. Still, I quite like the industrial look of the chunky
slot head bolts I've replaced them with :-)

So now you can torque them up until you strip the threads right out of
the casting...

;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
;; anonymous
Old May 31st 05, 12:17 PM
wheeler

Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , wheeler
') wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:

Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way
too far, hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each
screw/bolt.

ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a
little bit overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how
the thing works. Still, I quite like the industrial look of the
chunky slot head bolts I've replaced them with :-)

So now you can torque them up until you strip the threads right out of
the casting...

Cool! Watch out for posts later this week along the lines of
"Recommendations wanted for Hope mini replacements for brute force fan".
:-)

Old May 31st 05, 12:55 PM
Paul - xxx

wheeler came up with the following;:
Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , wheeler
') wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:

Ho yuss. If they've been rounded, then they've been tightened way
too far, hence my suggestion to tighten a little at a time on each
screw/bolt.

ah, thanks. Yup, I guess rounding those bolts off I really was a
little bit overenthusiastic with the allen key, and ignorant of how
the thing works. Still, I quite like the industrial look of the
chunky slot head bolts I've replaced them with :-)

So now you can torque them up until you strip the threads right out of
the casting...

Cool! Watch out for posts later this week along the lines of
"Recommendations wanted for Hope mini replacements for brute force fan".
:-)

Belzona ...

--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!

Hope Mono Minis or Shimano Discs? Rob UK 6 May 20th 05 09:16 PM
Rider Down! slim Social Issues 9 October 19th 04 01:41 PM
lever movement on Hope Minis Phil Squire Mountain Biking 0 September 6th 04 07:26 PM
Tour of Hope Donations Brian E General 0 August 12th 04 12:24 AM
Tour of Hope - Washington DC Ride - LAF fundraising Lance Griffin Social Issues 0 August 9th 04 08:34 PM