So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

Old June 2nd 20, 08:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that needs
to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into slavery
for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Old June 2nd 20, 09:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Tue, 2 Jun 2020 07:50:08 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that needs
to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into slavery
for foreign entities.

Well, the rest of the globe, and obviously your good self, doesn't
know what is happening. Thailand has a duly elected government.

And, although you may find it unbelievable when we had a military
dictatorship nobody seemed to get all excited. It seems that there are
quite a number of things of far greater importance to the proletariat
than who is sitting in the government chair in Bangkok.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

No you don't have to kiss the King's ass. Unless, of course, that is
how you get your jollies.
But why would one want to critize him? Has he done something wrong?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 2nd 20, 11:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 6:12:53 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote to the thief Peter Howard who post here as news18

Gosh, if you really went at it right you might get Holdan back.

Dumbos like the thief Peter Howard thinks thick workers like him know more than than educated and experienced risk-takers in the management of large corporations. He doesn't know what there right way is.

Anyhow, as we used to say when Australia was still the Great Country, getting Holden back is the least of Australia's worries. First they gotta get their coal and gas fired generating stations back so they can power the factories and the fridges in people's houses because government by green fanatics not only shut them down, but arrogantly destroyed them, and now the answer to the first question an engineer on an inspection committee from Fortune 500 company asks is, "How do we power our humongous factory, or do you expect us to work only when the wind blows?"

Australia used to be Nirvana for industry looking for a place to invest, and their executives (and wives and children -- important decision-makers) just loved to serve a tour there. Now it is nothing but trouble.

The flip side of what the thief Peter Howard (who posts here as new18) says is that no management consultant can advise any but financial service industries -- who have no problem repatriating their profits perfectly legally -- to start up an Australian subsidiary. In my time in Australia already BHP, an investment and financial services company, was the largest corporation in the country.

Australia used to be a place where a lively British emigrant could make a few million in ten years. It was the Golden Country. Now worthless clowns like the thief Peter Howard have ruined it with their politics of envy and self-inflicted crap like barely existent wind power -- but he whines that the bosses are doing it to him. Nope. The bosses didn't do it to you, Howard, you and your kind did it to them, but rather than whine fruitlessly about it, they just took their money and invested it in jobs (and profits) elsewhere.

Another increasingly important consideration: China looming aggressively to the North isn't at all comforting.

Andre Jute
Sad what a few pommie wreckers and commie criminals can do to a great country
Old June 2nd 20, 11:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

See, in his very next post the thief Peter Howard admits everything I accuse him of, and doubles down on his stupidities. He doesn't grasp that it is people like him, and the politicians he elects, who drive out capital and with it jobs. He can see the result of these policies but he wants more of the same... This is a textbook case of cutting off your nose to spite your face, on a huge scale:

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 7:24:35 AM UTC+1, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 12:12:49 +0700, John B. wrote:

Gosh, if you really went at it right you might get Holdan back.

Wow, you really are stuck in the old manufacturing age. Global mass
production has basically destroyed local manufacture. Even Thailand
manufacturing is product based. Your GovCo gives a Tranational company
land to build a factory, to make a product and when the life of that
product is over, derelict factory and unemployed populace. Perhaps you
and Trumpy could go to evening class to bring your knowledge upto date.

As a bicycle rider, I couldn't care less abot motor car manufacturers. If
our GovCo woke up and smelled the roses, Australia could roll out
electric car manufacure over night. Interestingly, the long distance
travel boggie is a furphy because there are now plenty of PV solar farms
around the countryside for rechareging points.

Old June 2nd 20, 11:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 5:20:26 AM UTC+1, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 08:08:20 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

Of all people to use the term "parasite" you have to be the funniest.
You are a tick on the body public. You do not nor have you ever pulled
your own weight. And then to called people who actually provide not just
a needed service but one that even supplies what the environmentalists
have asked for - less personal auto use - makes you just about the
lowest layer on the parasite ladder.

The richest(? second) richest man in australia said; onl a fools pay more
tax in australia that he has to. Hmm, the advice of poor Tommy, or Kezza?
I think i'll stick with Kezza's advice.

And here the thief Peter Howard aka news18 admits that he's an anti-social tax criminal as well. Now, who here would be surprised to discover that he spent his early "retirement" on unemployment handouts by the government, a parasite on the working men and women of Australia -- and the corporations he condemns so ineffectually.

Andre Jute
The last surfer to trade in his Volvo Estate for a steady job
Old June 2nd 20, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/1/2020 9:40 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/1/2020 9:26 PM, jbeattie wrote:

Another fascinating thing is that Campy 12 cassettes all
come 11/29, 11/32 and 11/34! Gads, what happened to the
corn-cob days of yore when 13/21 was your freewheel for
climbing, and you had a 42t inner chain ring and not 34t.
We have become weak!

I remember doing one century ride long ago when a young guy
looked at the 34 tooth cog on my touring bike and said "I've
never _seen_ a cog that big!" His tone was far from respectful.

I'd like to track him down and say "Hey little kid, look
what's on the market now. I was ahead of the curve."

Tomorrow's headline NYT: "Frank Krygowski is finally au
courant with cycling fashion"

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 2nd 20, 02:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/1/2020 11:20 PM, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 08:08:20 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

Of all people to use the term "parasite" you have to be the funniest.
You are a tick on the body public. You do not nor have you ever pulled
your own weight. And then to called people who actually provide not just
a needed service but one that even supplies what the environmentalists
have asked for - less personal auto use - makes you just about the
lowest layer on the parasite ladder.

The richest(? second) richest man in australia said; onl a fools pay more
tax in australia that he has to. Hmm, the advice of poor Tommy, or Kezza?
I think i'll stick with Kezza's advice.

"only a fools pay more tax... that he has to"

I'm sorry I can't find anything untrue or objectionable in
that simple statement.

Old June 2nd 20, 02:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that needs
to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into slavery
for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

Old June 2nd 20, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 8:21:35 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/2/2020 2:50 AM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 02 Jun 2020 14:25:39 +0700, John B. wrote:

In short, your theories don't hold water. Perhaps it is you that needs
to go to school to get his knowledge up to date.

Err, the rest of the globe thinks you live under a military dictatorship.
Shrug, it wouldn't be the first country to sell its citizen into slavery
for foreign entities.

Don't forget to kiss the Kings butt and definitely don't critises him.

Your Head of State is Her Majesty.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Surely there is a alt.arguing group?

A alt.grow.up would be nice too.

:-)

Andy
Old June 2nd 20, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 6/1/2020 9:19 AM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, 1 June 2020 11:13:01 UTC-4, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:15:48 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 22:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, 1 June 2020 00:28:47 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 18:49:33 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 6:55:57 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Actually Frank, I wasn't advocating anything. I was arguing that an
entity has the right to do what it wishes with it's own property.
Are you arguing that one doesn't?

Nope. As I said, a person generally has the right to do what one likes
with his property, assuming it doesn't harm others. But still, some
things a person might choose to do are, well, stupid. That person
shouldn't be surprised if other people mention that stupidity.

Just as one must certainly be a bit off to spend, oh say, $3,000 on a
bicycle.... and ride it in the rain?

Many would say that's stupid. Others would disagree. That disagreement
could lead to rational discussion, from which various people might
learn a thing or two. If only we could find a discussion group where
such things could be discussed!

- Frank Krygowski

Well, given that it is (still I hope) a democracy we need to take a
vote. Question? Riding a $3,000 bicycle in the rain is just plain
silly.

You care to estimate percentages pro and con if we go to any large
population center and ask the first 100 people that walk down the
street?
--
cheers,

John B.

Back in 1985 or 1986 I bought a brand new Columbus SL racing bicycle with a complete Dura Ace Indexed groupset. At that time the bike cost $1,500,00 CDN That's $3,192.00CDN today. Many times I had to ride that bike home from work in the rain.

For some people (not me) a $3,000.00+ bike is not that expensive and thus they might treat it as we'd treat a beater bike.

For others a $3,000.00+ bike might be the ONLY bike they own and thus will ride it in the rain too.

Cheers

Look at the TREK site. $3,000 is chicken feed when it comes to
bicycles.
How about the "Checkpoint SL" Described as " an adventure-hungry
carbon gravel bike that can help you crush the toughest, longest
rides". Selling for only $5,999.99, a pittance for a bike of this
nature.

You seem to be shocked by the price of bikes. My shock level doesn't start until five figures, and there are a lot of five-figure bikes, believe it or not. My son loves to quote OTC prices on top-end eBikes just to test my shock level. https://tinyurl.com/y7gorhu7

The Checkpoint is actually a good value bike for what you get -- not bargain basement, but Trek has some nice offerings that you can get on annual discounts. I wouldn't buy the high-end 1X because I spend too much time on the pavement getting to gravel, and 1X would drive me nuts.

I got my gravel bike for almost half-price from Western Bikeworks -- which has closed its showroom and gone entirely on line. That was a shame, although it thankfully dodged the whole COVID-19 debacle which might put it in a position to reopen another bricks and mortar store.

Speaking of COVID-19 and bikes, my best biking buddy just bought a new component group for his 12 year old CF Pinarello (pro deal direct from Campagnolo) and needed some new HS and BB bearings to finish the build. He didn't want to internet order, so he went down and stood in line outside of River City bikes. All the shops have you wait outside. He says it takes a half an hour to buy a tube because of the lines.

-- Jay Beattie.

I've often wondered what happens with an E-bike when it needs a new battery. Are the batteries proprietary like so many bicycle stuff seems to be these days?

Or is the battery so expensive you might as well buy a new E-bike?

Batteries seem to be semi-proprietary. For example, my wife's Trek
E-bike has a Bosch drive system; it appears that only a Bosch battery
will do (unless I wanted to cut the casing open and transplant
individual cells.)

Cost of batteries is indeed high, but don't rival the cost of a new
E-bike; her bike was around $2500, replacement batteries seemed around
$750-900 when I looked. Haven't needed one, I was just looking.

Mark J.