Another woman mown down by a cyclist

Old September 14th 17, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Another woman mown down by a cyclist

On 14/09/2017 12:02, Nick wrote:
On 14/09/2017 07:08, MrCheerful wrote:
On 14/09/2017 00:47, JNugent wrote:
On 13/09/2017 21:20, Simon Jester wrote:
On Wednesday, September 13, 2017 at 8:58:58 PM UTC+1, MrCheerful wrote:

Happily a woman has the incident on camera, and there must be
plenty of
cameras in that area in any case, so the cyclist may be vindicated
yet,
but not on the other charges he faces.

So you agree the cyclist is innocent until proven guilty and the
pedestrian could have mitigated her head injury by wearing a helmet.

Mr C had failed to take account of a highly significant part of the
news report. The lady victim was crossing a road into which the turd
on a bike was turning.

I'm sure I don't need to tell you what that means.

I was giving the benefit of doubt to the planet saving cyclist, the
old lady might have sprinted into the road or, or been barged into his
path or he might have shouted 'get out of the way' twice, he might
have been in an important race, or strava event, delivering a pizza,
jumping a red light for safety, or something else important cyclists
do in London.

The old ones are normally much easier to avoid. But if you are 1 meter
from the pavement and a pedestrian steps out, without looking or giving
any warning there is little that can be done.

That is not what is reported as having happened, which was:

"Witnesses described seeing two cyclists turning on to Oxford Street,
with one striking the woman as she crossed the road."

Perhaps we should wait for some evidence before we execute the cyclist?

There's the evidence of at least two witnesses. Maybe more.

It may be enough to get a conviction of the cyclist (I am being
circumspect there, for obvious reasons). It's certainly enough to
deflect all the usual victim-blaming which happens whenever a pedestrian
is injured or killed by a cyclist.

Although the site of Tyburn Tree was just up the road.

Old September 14th 17, 12:37 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 14/09/2017 12:25, JNugent wrote:

The old ones are normally much easier to avoid. But if you are 1 meter
from the pavement and a pedestrian steps out, without looking or
giving any warning there is little that can be done.

That is not what is reported as having happened, which was:

"Witnesses described seeing two cyclists turning on to Oxford Street,
with one striking the woman as she crossed the road."

In what way is that different from the scenario I suggest?

Old September 14th 17, 12:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

Default Another woman mown down by a cyclist (her death announced14/09/17)

On 14/09/2017 12:37, Nick wrote:

On 14/09/2017 12:25, JNugent wrote:

The old ones are normally much easier to avoid. But if you are 1
meter from the pavement and a pedestrian steps out, without looking
or giving any warning there is little that can be done.

That is not what is reported as having happened, which was:

"Witnesses described seeing two cyclists turning on to Oxford Street,
with one striking the woman as she crossed the road."

In what way is that different from the scenario I suggest?

Are you seriously trying to say that you don't know and cannot see the
difference?

BTW: the case becomes even more depressing. The lady has now died:

Old September 14th 17, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick[_4_]

On 14/09/2017 12:47, JNugent wrote:
On 14/09/2017 12:37, Nick wrote:

On 14/09/2017 12:25, JNugent wrote:

The old ones are normally much easier to avoid. But if you are 1
meter from the pavement and a pedestrian steps out, without looking
or giving any warning there is little that can be done.

That is not what is reported as having happened, which was:

"Witnesses described seeing two cyclists turning on to Oxford Street,
with one striking the woman as she crossed the road."

In what way is that different from the scenario I suggest?

Are you seriously trying to say that you don't know and cannot see the
difference?

Yes that is why I asked the question.

The scenario I outline appears to be not inconsistent with the witness
evidence you quote.

We will have to wait for a more precise description to know what
actually happened.

Old September 14th 17, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Peter Keller[_3_]

On 14.09.2017 07:43, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
All of the shoppers on the footpath should be looking out for ******s riding
bicycles and mowing down old people?

I sometimes have to go onto the footpath for safety. better to ride

slowly and carefully on the footpath and give pedestrians right of way
than be mown down by a lorry.
When I come to Mr Pounder I will no doubt stop to let him pass. He,
dripping with slimy bile and venom from his green fangs and bloodshot
eyes, will no doubt see a stationary target and commit murder on it,
usong his specially sharpened battleaxe which he always carries in his
faeces-encrusted back pocket especially for the purpose.
Old September 14th 17, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 14/09/2017 12:37, Nick wrote:

On 14/09/2017 12:25, JNugent wrote:

The old ones are normally much easier to avoid. But if you are 1
meter from the pavement and a pedestrian steps out, without looking
or giving any warning there is little that can be done.

That is not what is reported as having happened, which was:

"Witnesses described seeing two cyclists turning on to Oxford
Street, with one striking the woman as she crossed the road."

In what way is that different from the scenario I suggest?

Are you seriously trying to say that you don't know and cannot see the
difference?

Yes that is why I asked the question.
The scenario I outline appears to be not inconsistent with the witness
evidence you quote.

It is totally inconsistent.

When you are turning from thoroughfare A into thoroughfare B, you are
obliged to wait whilst any pedestrian crossing thoroughfare B has
crossed. The reports of what witnesses (at least two) said show that
this was the correct scenario here.

The scenario "She just stepped out into the road" (what we might call
"the Alliston defence") is therefore not relevant.

We will have to wait for a more precise description to know what
actually happened.

Indeed. But it isn't likely that the witnesses are lying or mistaken as
to what happened.