Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour failure

Old August 6th 13, 11:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

Default Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour failure

We had been using Schwalbe Marathon Plus's on our tandem with great
results. The are good for about 3 years a set.

Earlier this year we got the Marathon Plus Tour, the store was out of
the plain Marathon Plus. I came out today to a flat tire. The side
casing separated and the inner tube blew when some of it tried to
escape through the hole.

Anybody run into this? I have been using Marathon+ on the tandem and
the commuter with good luck. This is the first time anything like
this has happened.
Old August 7th 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

sloppy installation
Old August 8th 13, 10:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Tue, 6 Aug 2013 17:09:10 -0700 (PDT), datakoll
wrote:

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:19:38 PM UTC-4, somebody wrote:

sloppy installation

How so? I don't understand how that can cause tire layers to
separate.
Old August 8th 13, 12:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

well, I can't see the tire so I guess. New tire probs are usually mounter inflicted to the level of believing the manufacturer made tires doahn fit the intended rim .

if the bead is badly mounted, the sidewall may ripple each revo causing movement tranfer thru friction into heat and a significant supply like stick rubbed fire making.

Liability ensures consideable attention to quality control both at the factory and with the seller you bought the tire from. Watching your tire is a hand on inspection, in moist casings.

Schwalbe in the last 7 years or so upgraded and built new facilities expanding the German tire maker into China with a different consumer oriented hehehe design approach.

if the tire was badly made, that would be seen as unusual.
Old August 8th 13, 01:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

check the tube size and condition.
Old August 8th 13, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

wrote:

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:19:38 PM UTC-4, somebody wrote:

sloppy installation

How so? I don't understand how that can cause tire layers to
separate.

I guess one could damage the sidewall if one were too ham-handed with
the spoons; I've never seen it happen personally but possible.

nate
Old August 9th 13, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

if the mounter layed tube in incautiously leaving a bend when pumped, a crease with two bulged sides then friction may overstress the sidewall.

brake pad rubbing or other device possibly disappearing after damaging sidewall...undiagnosed....tire rubbing against frame tube ?

OTOH, Local Noise extremely unreliable 24/7 tells us as does PL of other known Schwalbe sidewall probs so ?

loosing a front is unusual. fronts are unstressed as fronts are rears too.

maybe yawl be fortunate n experience the prob again !
Old August 9th 13, 10:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

wrote:

On Tuesday, August 6, 2013 6:19:38 PM UTC-4, somebody wrote:

sloppy installation

How so? I don't understand how that can cause tire layers to
separate.

I guess one could damage the sidewall if one were too ham-handed with
the spoons; I've never seen it happen personally but possible.

nate

In this case I replaced a worn Marathon+ with a new Marathon+ Tour.
Both were 26x1.75 and the inner tube was reused.

No spoons needed to install; the Marathon+ Tour was much easier to
install (and remove) than the Marathon+.

Anybody try the Marathon Durene? They list it as having extra load
capacity, just for tandem riders.
Old August 11th 13, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

wooden...lacks feel or response...a clog...gppd for hauling wood..

WHO NEEDS A REVIEW ?

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Failure Matt[_5_] UK 40 November 21st 17 05:59 AM
Schwalbe Marathon Plus Trevor A Panther UK 67 November 26th 09 10:52 AM
Schwalbe Marathon 700x32c - Failure/tear?? HELP! Colin UK 5 June 1st 08 11:03 PM
Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR sothach UK 6 October 29th 05 07:15 PM
Schwalbe Marathon XR: Yay or Nay? Brian UK 8 November 22nd 04 07:05 PM