A few months waxing chain

Old December 4th 18, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default A few months waxing chain

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 7:39:27 PM UTC-5, John B. slocomb wrote:
Snipped
Tom, apparently you don't read well as the three people on this site
who have been using wax for some period of time all have said, at one
time or another, how clean the sprockets and cassette are.

James, for example, just wrote that:
"Meanwhile, I installed a new cassette about 1 year ago, and have used
3 chains so far, each one worn to about 0.25% over the past 8000km.
I haven't cleaned the cassette once, yet there is no build up of crud
to speak of. The spacers appear relatively clean, and there is just a
little wax lubricant around each sprocket where the chain runs."

Think of it, 8,000 km - about 5,000 miles - and "no build up of crud".

Now you come along and say just the opposite...

It makes one wonder whether you know what you are talking about

fantasy ~ noun ~ Imagination unrestricted by reality.

cheers,

John B.

Or perhaps he's either simply trolling or arguing for the sake of arguing?

Cheers
Old December 4th 18, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, December 3, 2018 at 3:31:33 PM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/3/2018 1:45 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, December 2, 2018 at 3:24:38 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 2 Dec 2018 10:02:23 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 3:03:08 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 10:20:29 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

On Friday, November 30, 2018 at 10:38:18 PM UTC-8, John B. slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 16:56:00 +1100, James
wrote:

On 1/12/18 12:28 pm, John B. slocomb wrote:

I've been using a mix of paraffin and a light grease containing
Molybdenum disulfide. I added a bit of bee's wax thinking it might
make the mixture a bit more pliable but I'm not sure that is
necessary.

As paraffin is soluble in benzene I suppose that one could brew up a
liquid batch, with benzene, and squirt it on with an oil can but
dunking the chain in an electrical pot full of paraffin seems so much
easier :-)

The other nice thing is that a pot full lasts for years. One doesn't
have to worry about running short and much cheaper then the
proprietary blends too :-)

I'm beginning to think it is more constructive to point and laugh at
people who spend a lot for a little bottle of mostly solvent and a
fraction of lubricant.

Ah but... they are using the absolute best chain lube available...
just ask them :-)

cheers,

John B.

If you look at a real world test it appears that the cheapest oil possible applied often and the chain cleaned often appears to give the longest chain life.
http://biketestreviews.com/the-last-...n-lubrication/

The longest chain life would, indubitable, be a chain that is run in
a sealed "chain case" filled with oil. Back in the day when
motorcycles had a separate transmission driven by a "Primary Chain" in
a sealed "case" with constant oil lubrication it was common to have to
change the final drive chain from the transmission to the rear wheel
while the Primary Chain lasted practically for ever. In about 1949 I
owned an Indian Scout motorcycle that had been built ten years earlier
with the original primary chain.

However, paraffin waxes give the least friction under use:
https://www.scribd.com/document/2620...ficiency-Tests

This pretty much explains why a waxed chain is so quiet. It is consuming about half the energy as a chain with White Lightning. Notice my Rock and Roll is second best. So this isn't my opinion as you seem to think.

Of course your chain lube is superior to all others. And your wheels
are better, and your bicycle is better, and, and, and. Just like
everyone else.

I do not use paraffin wax because of the great deal of trouble cleaning the chainrings and cogs. I use expensive cassettes and I'd just as soon no have them looking like a pile of dirt, And these expensive cassettes have several cogs attached together that make cleaning them extremely difficult. Not to mention tearing the chain rings off of the crankset to clean them.

I really wonder about you. Everyone who has used paraffin for a chain
lube has commented about how clean everything is while you say exactly
the opposite.

cheers,

John B.

No wonder you're so grouchy all the time - you're a hundred years old..

Not quite yet. But why do you keep changing the subject? You write
that "I do not use paraffin wax because of the great deal of trouble
cleaning the chainrings and cogs" and I comment that "I really wonder
about you. Everyone who has used paraffin for a chain lube has
commented about how clean everything is while you say exactly the
opposite."

Last time you started talking about the U.S. Postal Service, the time
before it was India and now it is age.

One does begin to suspect that you just don't know what you are
talking about and when challenged you are changing the subject in a
frantic effort to avoid admitting the fact.

cheers,

John B.

And I have to wonder about you because I've plainly said in several places that the chain stays very clean but the wax/hevy black residue gets all over the chain rings and cogs. Anyone I know that has ever used wax has had exactly the same problem.

Not me.

After a while, a tiny amount appears on the chainrings. It wipes off
easily, if it gets to bother me. And it bothers me only very rarely.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Frank - how often do you clean your chain and re-wax? How much off-road riding do you do?
Old December 4th 18, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

You're beginning to sound like the global warming hoaxers - if the facts don't fit, fall back on democratic voting - 97% of all scientists. When they picked 100 scientists out of 10,000 and even then made up the opinions of over half of those as "well, it seemed that's what they were leaving unsaid."
Old December 4th 18, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 3:33:15 AM UTC-8, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

Over the years I have spent many hours cleaning that wax residue off cogs and rings. I have disassembled and scrapped and finally used acetone to clean off the remainder until changing to Rock and Roll. Now no residue. But apparently you sat here with me and showed me that there was no such thing.
Old December 5th 18, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 4, 2018 at 5:37:55 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I've plainly said in several places that the chain stays very clean but the wax/hevy black residue gets all over the chain rings and cogs. Anyone I know that has ever used wax has had exactly the same problem.

Not me.

After a while, a tiny amount appears on the chainrings. It wipes off
easily, if it gets to bother me. And it bothers me only very rarely.

Frank - how often do you clean your chain and re-wax? How much off-road riding do you do?

I think I re-wax maybe every 500 miles or so. With my method, there
is no separate "clean your chain" step. I just add wax/oil mix
using a propane torch while the chain is on the bike. The only
cleaning is backpedaling the chain through paper towels once the
entire chain has gotten it's fresh wax.

These days I do only a little off-road riding. Until recently I was
on the board of trustees of our local forest preserve. I would ride
through the trails once in a while to see if there were problems,
and I would cut through on my way to certain destinations. There
are a few other gravel roads I would use on occasion, but most of
my riding is paved.

BTW, I had two hospital stays this year, and associated recovery.
It's been a terrible year for cycling. I don't think I've done the
chains since February.

- Frank Krygowski

Old December 5th 18, 04:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 03:33:13 -0800 (PST), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

[...]

Or perhaps he just doesn't know what he is talking about :-)

cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 18, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

[...]

Gee Tom, you are really desperate not to admit that you are wrong,
aren't you.

After all if every one of the users of hot wax as a chain lube say
that they have no problems with dirty chain, cogs or sprocket, one
might just suspect that they do know what they are talking about.

By the same token if those who don't use the hot wax lube method lay
claim to a dirty chain, cassette or front sprocket it does seem to
indicate they really don't know what they are talking about... or
deliberately lying.

Your frantic effort of bringing global warming into the argument is
even more proof that you simply don't know what you are talking about.
Or should we consider you as just another liar?

cheers,

John B.

Old December 5th 18, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 19:26:50 -0800 (PST), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

Et tu, Brute?

I ended up with a pacemaker installed.

cheers,