15th Annual Cedar Valley Tour (Iowa)

Old June 30th 05, 07:41 PM

Default 15th Annual Cedar Valley Tour (Iowa)

From: Rick Paulos

The 15th Annual Cedar Valley Tour

Saturday & Sunday
July 16 & 17 2005

8:00 AM start

Join the Hawkeye Bicycle Association for an easy 2 day bicycle ride on
the Cedar Valley Nature Trail from Hiawatha, Iowa to Waterloo, Iowa and
back. Its about 55 miles each day on this former rail road line.
Nearly flat all the way. The first 4 miles are paved with a new
underpass under County Home Road, the next section of the trail is cool
crushed limestone and the northern half is smooth asphalt. Many miles
are tree covered to
block the sun and wind. Lots of places along the way to stop for food
or drinks. Lafayette we are here, where did you go, Center Point for
breakfast, Urbana for water and the playground, Brandon for soda and to
view the 'worlds largest frying pan' as listed in Dr. Science's book
Iowa Oddities, La Porte City at the Dairy Queen where they have the
longest menu around and the world famous fried pickles on a stick or
blue frozen squishees and Gilbertville for soda. Despite the excess
asphalt, there is wildlife to be seen by the observant riders.
Turtles, egrets, possoms and more. Sing along with the bull frogs as
you pedal. Braaaapp. Motel at
the Heartland Inn or optional camping at McFarlane Park in Blackhawk
county near LaPorte City. Lots of restaurants within easy walking or
biking distance from the motel. A favorite is Mama Nicks Italian
restaurant. There is a movie theater at the nearby Crossroads shopping
mall. The Heartland Inn has a swimming pool for the kids. This is a
great tune up for Ragbrai and an excellent ride for teens & kids on
tandems too.

The Hiawatha trail head is just 2 blocks east of I380 at exit 25. Lots
of parking. You can leave your car overnight. $2 daily trail pass
required for the Linn & Benton County part of the Cedar Valley Nature
Trail. They are available at nearby convience stores. We leave
Hiawatha at 8:00 am Saturday. The Heartland Inn toll free phone number
is 1-800-334-3277 motel #10 for the Waterloo Crossroads Heartland Inn.
Tell them you are with the
Hawkeye Bicycle Club to get the %12 group discount. There are plenty
of other motels in the immediate neighborhood too. Maps will be
provided at the start. No sign up fee. No baggage hauling service.
But how much do you need for 1 overnight at a motel afterall.

Did I say easy? That might be too tough of a description. We ride
SLOW and stop everywhere. 8 hours to ride a mere 55 miles. And NO
hills. Hey, trains don't go up hill and neither does this trail.
Plenty of saddle time to get your rear ready for Ragbrai.

Rain or shine. Helmet use is requested for all HBA rides.

Please forward this to anybody you think would be interested.

Thanks,
rick
----