Why isn't there 'Sharing the Road with Bicyclists' on DMV Papers?

Old April 15th 05, 09:56 PM
Pat

: it's all in the Texas drivers' handbook. You should not assume that
because
: it isn't done a certain way where you live that it applies to every
place.
:
: apologies. my bad. looked at
: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/ftp/forms/DLhandbook.pdf, on page 9-7, it
: actually explains the cases where a bicycle can take a full lane.... it
: is more comprehensive than CA
:
: again my bad,
: +ravi

I was just getting that lecture this week. We were riding two abreast on a
farm to market road in the country when about 4 trucks came up behind us. I
started to get into single file and my companion gave me an earful! He says
we have every right to ride two abreast--thus taking up the entire lane. I
replied that most drivers expect bicyclists to get into single file. His
reply was a "#$%@ 'em--I know the law!" Still, it seems to me that if we
"flaunt it" by taking up the entire lane, the drivers will just get
irritated and we aren't really "winning" anything.

Pat in TX

Old April 15th 05, 09:59 PM
Pat

:
: FWIW in my neck of the woods I see far more irresponsible cycling than
: driving.
:
: Matthew

I think you would have to break that down into categories. All cyclists? or
juveniles riding on the sidewalk or in the road riding against traffic? Car
drivers are more cautious because a slip up could cause severe injury or
death; bicyclists, especially the kids, seem to think "nothing will happen
to me". When I was in Germany, the kids had to take a course in responsible
bicycle riding when they were 10 years old. They even got a "driver's
license" at the completion of the course. I think we should have something
like that in the States.

Pat in TX
:
:
:

Old April 16th 05, 01:06 PM
Arthur Harris

"Ravi" wrote:
I do not remember any where in the DMV Handbook or driving test, seeing
anything that advocates proper treatment of Bicyclists on the Road. Why
not these Bicycle Advocacy Organizations push for such an inclusion - that
way, atleast it is embedded in the young minds that bicyclists are also
legit road users.

New York State covers bicycles in it's DMV handbook.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/dmanual...r11-manual.htm

New York also puts out a booklet about sharing the road.
http://www.dot.state.ny.us/pubtrans/share.html

Art Harris

Old April 16th 05, 01:21 PM
Arthur Harris

"Pat" wrote:

: FWIW in my neck of the woods I see far more irresponsible cycling than
: driving.
:
: Matthew

I think you would have to break that down into categories. All cyclists?
or
juveniles riding on the sidewalk or in the road riding against traffic?
Car
drivers are more cautious because a slip up could cause severe injury or
death; bicyclists, especially the kids, seem to think "nothing will happen
to me".

It's not just kids. Around here, most of the guys on the $3000+ bikes seem
to think they have the "skills" to run red lights and such. And club riders
think nothing of riding 3 or 4 abreast while climbing at 12 mph as traffic
backs up behind them.

The cagers aren't much better, pushing the envelope on speed while talking
on cell phones, and failing to yield the right of way to cyclists.

Art Harris