bad commute home last night

Old April 15th 06, 12:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default bad commute home last night

Some MV driver just don't understand bicycles. I was on my way home last
night, it was a nice night, little wind, I was tucked in a semi-aero
position on the hybrid, doing about 15mph or so, and all of a sudden I
saw a car to my left, and then turn right in front of me into a
driveway. I had about 10 feet to stop and or change direction before
hitting the side of the car. I did manage to change direction, to the
right, onto the lawn, and stop. I watched the guy for almost a minute
shuffle papers or whatever in his car, then he opened his door and I
rode by and made a comment about his driving skills, he commente back
"Pardon me", I just continued on my way, althought I wanted to tell him
what he did and how it was wrong, but figured he still wouldn't
understand. All he had to do was wait a few extra seconds while I passed
by his driveway. Which he spent shuffling papers in the car anyway. Oh
and of course I had my lights turned on as it was dark out.

Ken
--
A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin
edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs

Homepage: http://www.bikesandmoreonline.com/
Old April 15th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Ken C. M." wrote in message
[...]

My new favorite technique is just to start taking photos of the driver, car,
and license with my cell camera. They always get very concerned and
paranoid in a hurry and ask what I'm doing. I calmly tell them that I
document all aggressive and/or dangerous drivers and instances and forward
the info to the police. Oh, you should see the looks. The trick is to do
it as calmly and clinically as possible. Works great for drivers trapped at
red lights. The idea is simple; education. Get them thinking "what did I
do wrong?" Hopefully it won't happen again; people dislike confrontation.

brink

Old April 15th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Ken C. M. wrote:
:: Some MV driver just don't understand bicycles. I was on my way home
:: last night, it was a nice night, little wind, I was tucked in a
:: semi-aero position on the hybrid, doing about 15mph or so, and all
:: of a sudden I saw a car to my left, and then turn right in front of
:: me into a driveway. I had about 10 feet to stop and or change
:: direction before hitting the side of the car. I did manage to change
:: direction, to the right, onto the lawn, and stop. I watched the guy
:: for almost a minute shuffle papers or whatever in his car, then he
:: opened his door and I rode by and made a comment about his driving
:: skills, he commente back "Pardon me", I just continued on my way,
:: althought I wanted to tell him what he did and how it was wrong, but
:: figured he still wouldn't understand.

Frankly, I think that since he didn't curse you, that was an opportunity to
inform him of what he could have done differently.

BTW, what does MV mean?

Also, most non cyclist don't understand bicycles.

All he had to do was wait a
:: few extra seconds while I passed by his driveway. Which he spent
:: shuffling papers in the car anyway. Oh and of course I had my lights
:: turned on as it was dark out.
::
:: Ken
:: --

Old April 15th 06, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Roger Zoul wrote:

Frankly, I think that since he didn't curse you, that was an opportunity to
inform him of what he could have done differently.

BTW, what does MV mean?

MV is my abbreviation for motor vehicle.

Also, most non cyclist don't understand bicycles.

You are correct of course. I often forget that cyclist are the minority.
Maybe an oil embargo would force more people to use a bicycle as
transportation.

Ken

Old April 15th 06, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Also, most non cyclist don't understand bicycles.

I doubt that. _Everyone_ has ridden a bicycle at one time or another.
I think it is selective "understanding". What I see from many drivers
is a characteristic of current Society. It is all about them. They
are the center of the universe.
Who are we to inconvenience THEM?
Don't you realize their importance?
They may have worked hard all day fleecing widows, or managing their
hamburger franchise.
FWIW, a lot of them do not treat other vehicles or pedestrians all
that much better, from what I see on my Caged Commute every day.
Old April 15th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Specialized wrote:
::: Also, most non cyclist don't understand bicycles.
:::
:: I doubt that.

Think in broader terms, ie, your comments below. If they understand some of
the thing you mention, they'd understand bicycles. Sure, most have ridden a
bike, but most also think of them as kids toys you get from k-mart to be
ridden on the sidewalks. That's the problem, man.

Old April 15th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

In article ,
"Roger Zoul" writes:
Specialized wrote:
::: Also, most non cyclist don't understand bicycles.
:::
:: I doubt that.

Think in broader terms, ie, your comments below. If they understand some of
the thing you mention, they'd understand bicycles. Sure, most have ridden a
bike, but most also think of them as kids toys you get from k-mart to be
ridden on the sidewalks. That's the problem, man.

I think you're both probably right. I know this much --
being in a moving car affects the mind and perception, and
maybe the personality. Even as a passenger, I notice the
disconnect from the world that the car is rolling over and
skimming through. And the view through the windshield takes
on an unreal quality, like looking at a movie projected on
a screen, while the viewer sits, nestled comfortably on cushie
furniture. Maybe people, other cars, bicycles and seemingly
minor incidents become unreal (and inconsequential) in the
minds of some drivers.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 15th 06, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

brink wrote:
My new favorite technique is just to start taking photos of the driver, car,
and license with my cell camera. They always get very concerned and
paranoid in a hurry and ask what I'm doing.

A photographer tried that on a nutcase who'd attached a cyclist in
Toronto a while ago, and the driver came after the photographer with a
baseball bat. Be ready!

Old April 15th 06, 10:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Brian Huntley" wrote in message
oups.com...
brink wrote:
My new favorite technique is just to start taking photos of the driver,
car,
and license with my cell camera. They always get very concerned and
paranoid in a hurry and ask what I'm doing.

A photographer tried that on a nutcase who'd attached a cyclist in
Toronto a while ago, and the driver came after the photographer with a
baseball bat. Be ready!

Which would be a good time to give the psycho a face full of "Halt!".

My First Cycle Commute Tony B UK 8 January 30th 05 02:14 AM
Why not generator lights? davidd86 Techniques 419 January 7th 05 04:43 PM
SELL this FBI NOC LIST and MAKE MILLIONS like TOM CRUISE did in MISSION IMPOSSIBLE Keith Mountain Biking 3 October 27th 04 09:07 AM
Report: First test ride home from work for the commute Tony Raven UK 16 August 7th 03 03:33 PM