Interbike 2018 Report

Old September 27th 18, 12:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Interbike 2018 Report

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 1:05:50 PM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2018-09-26 08:36,
On Monday, September 24, 2018 at 2:12:40 PM UTC-7, Joerg
On 2018-09-21 08:47, sms wrote:
Headed up there yesterday, for the day. It's now in Reno,
so from the Bay Area it's easier to drive than fly. The
show has shrunk considerably from its heyday. But they
had a bike that would probably be Jorge-Approved, and a
light that might be Frank-Approved, though those are very
high bars. Grant Peterson had several Jay-compatible
models on display in the Rivendell booth, but he didn't
have an aluminum model with a carbon-fiber fork, and disc
brakes.

Rather than post the report here, I put it up on Google
Docs, including photos.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wAiw__UK7KkYw1CO2lbSIdy14p0LXdH8RpnVqneDv5k

Thanks. The growler bike looks classic but I don't plan on using E-bikes
until I am 85 or so.

Is the bottom left picture on page 1 depicting a whiskey
flask? The kind that John Wayne would throw his horse
riding buddy before a gun fight? That would make a bike
ride quite interesting. "No free beer" is ok as long as
they sell good microbrew at reasonable prices. Though the
show would probably not be too interesting for me because
all this stuff trends too much in the direction of E-bikes.
I prefer muscle power.

As for the "ultimate new edible" I have yet to see any
bike-specific fare that I wouldn't want to spit out into
the sand. I even gave up on regular nut bars except for
rides under 20mi. Too much sugar. Over 20mi I carry
home-baked bread with generous layers of cheese and
sausage. The real bread, of course, with the starter dough
made from beer fermentation residue (trub), bread dough
kneaded using an electric power drill and baked outdoors
over manzanita fire.

For electrolyte I use simple Emergen-C powder. $10 makes
dozens of bottles. Since it tastes a bit medicinal we add
freshly squished lemon juice. Which is a byproduct in our
household because my wife makes her own Limoncello and the
peeled lemons are sort of left over. Nothing goes to waste
here.

-- Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

You know Joerg, you remind me of a good friend who is so set
in his ways that he won't even bother to investigate anything
new.

I have investigated. Regarding food pretty much all the
cyclist's stuff including "astronaut pouches" that my sister
uses. Bleccchhhh. I've even gone away from the nut bars I used
to like a lot. Tastes too sugary by now and I am just not a fan
of anything sweet. I found that good old bread with cheese and
cold cuts is way better on bike rides.

What is "way better?"

The taste, the taste.

... Way better in tying up your digestive tract with fat and
protein? Taking sandwiches and beer on the Trail of Terror is
perfectly fine, but if you're riding tempo on a road bike over
hill and dell for hours, you'll want carbs.

We do that regularly, either on road bikes or for hours on a
trail. There is only one other rider who favors bread over the
sugary stuff though (but only if it's our trub bread) and he eats
it with nothing but almond butter.

... Bread cannot be digested quickly and is not a good source of
on-bike carbs. It's great for picnic sandwiches, however -- if
you like sandwiches. I'd prefer some fried chicken and watermelon
-- which we know you can strap to your rack. Maybe some corn on
the cob.

Ok, I don't have Tour de France ambitions. I just found it gives me
a feeling of not feeling hungry during the rest of the ride and the
slow release of energy hasn't been an issue. I know that a dextrose
bomb could give me Speedy Gonzales capabilities for a short time,
it's just that I don't like sweet stuff. I carry a couple tablets
through in case I come across a bike rider or hiker who has totally
bonked (which has happened).

[...]

I have found that stopping for a REAL sandwich is FAR FAR better than
pretending to be a Tour rider and eating chemically treated body
waste from a camel.

Especially if the bread is completely home-made, baked over wood fire,
and the sandwiches from it are made by my lovely wife. Subway is also
good but stopping somewhere often isn't in the cards for me because ...
there is nothing to stop at where a sandwich could be bought.

This is where I lose all my health concerns and absolutely can't resist,
at 24th & K in Sacramento:

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...ULliWrgw/o.jpg

Somehow there is a magnetic force which pulls the steel frame of my road
bike into that beer garden.

I spend a half hour afterwards at a moderate pace and the longer in
the ride it is the better I feel. I'm now returning home feeling
better than when I left.

Exactly! One downside is the nagging, when I know the delicious
sandwiches are right behind me in a pannier but I shouldn't dig into
them before the mid-point of the ride.

Of course there are always those that believe that chemicals are much
better than food.

If riding performance is the key parameter I guess there is no other
choice but the more chemical-tasting food.

Old September 27th 18, 02:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-09-21 08:47, sms wrote:
[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOi4czjB1No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyFjqPoVc84

Seen too many other riders with tubeless who got stranded. Needless
to say they didn't carry a spare tube. Once I even had to cram my
29" spare tube into someones 26" MTB. At least that got him home.

That MTB video tells us nothing about the cause of the flat -- or if
anything would have prevented the flat short of solid tires. The
flat could have been caused by burping. Look how low he inflates the
tire with his hand pump.

Burping is the other problem with tubeless. Doesn't happen with tubes.

OTOH, the video from Cycling Weekly covers about every flat producing
hazard ordinarily encountered by a road cyclist -- nails, glasses,
tacks. I think the tack experiment produced far more punctures than
any roadie will see with goatheads, unless he or she goes overland
through the brambles.

Not quite. Goat's heads have longer thorns and they are also quite
conical, making the hole much wider than a thumbtack can. According to
Murphy's Law they are always positioned with the straight long thorn
pointing up.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...idum_seeds.jpg

I'm not running out to buy tubeless, but you cannot deny that the
demonstration was impressive -- and a demonstration as opposed to
dopes stranded on a trail somewhere who encountered unknown hazards
and flatted a tubeless tire. You can flat any tire, including your
tires with uber thick tubes and tire liners.

It was impressive. Same when I watched similar youtube videos from the
slime tube guys. I was impressed so I went out and bought some. Not
cheap. In the end that was a mistake because it's just a matter of time
until the slime can't handle it anymore. Of course, per Murphy's law my
time was up almost at the farthest end on the trail.

IMO there is nothing better than tire liner plus thick tubes. Except for
even thicker tubes.

Most people can't believe what I have under the MTB tires. Mr.Tuffy
brown tire liners stuffed inside slit second "regular" tubes of good
quality, then tubes with 0.160" or 4mm wall thickness. Flats in all
those years: None. So I did that for the road bike as well which also
dropped its number of flats to zero. Only thing is the chafing between
the tire liner and the thick tube. I'll have to slide the liner into a
thin tube first but it'll be diffiuclt to cram all that in.

The other upside is that I can now ride tires down to their last sliver
of tread.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

I have found that stopping for a REAL sandwich is FAR FAR better than pretending to be a Tour rider and eating chemically treated body waste from a camel.

I don't know what you're thinking of, but I'm eating relatively simple carbs from Cliff Bars, fig bars, fruit, etc. Bread and jam is fine, although I'm not a big bread fan. Cheese and meat are not great sources of carbohydrates and are hard to digest when the body is working.

I spend a half hour afterwards at a moderate pace and the longer in the ride it is the better I feel. I'm now returning home feeling better than when I left.

Of course there are always those that believe that chemicals are much better than food.

If by "chemicals" you mean electrolytes and minerals, then yes. Hammer Heed is a great beverage. I'll use a GU pack or Cliff Shot on occasion to clear my head. I also eat regular food -- just not meat and cheese sandwiches.

I hate stopping in the middle of a ride, sitting for a long time, eating heavy food and then getting back on my bike for a long ride home. I have to ride for miles before my stomach settles and my legs start working again. I also like moving better than sitting. Even on long rides, I take short-ish stops, eat carbs, often drink coffee (because of my cohort) and save the meat sandwiches, beer, etc. for when I get near home. YMMV.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 27th 18, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:17:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped
I spend a half hour afterwards at a moderate pace and the longer in the ride it is the better I feel. I'm now returning home feeling better than when I left.

Of course there are always those that believe that chemicals are much better than food.

That "feeling better" is most likely caused by the chemical endorphin that the body creates.

I often feel a lot better on the way home from a ride than I did when starting out. And I feel better even though I have NOT eaten anything during that ride. That's endorphins at work.

Cheers
Old September 27th 18, 07:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 18:54:26 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Wednesday, September 26, 2018 at 6:17:49 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Snipped
I spend a half hour afterwards at a moderate pace and the longer in the ride it is the better I feel. I'm now returning home feeling better than when I left.

Of course there are always those that believe that chemicals are much better than food.

That "feeling better" is most likely caused by the chemical endorphin that the body creates.

Endorphins (contracted from "endogenous morphine") "a morphine-like
substance originating from within the body".

I often feel a lot better on the way home from a ride than I did when starting out. And I feel better even though I have NOT eaten anything during that ride. That's endorphins at work.

"The principal function of endorphins is to inhibit the communication
of pain signals; they may also produce a feeling of euphoria very
similar to that produced by other opioids."

Of course you feel good, you are stoned :-)
--
Cheers

John B.
Old September 27th 18, 11:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

On 2018-09-21 08:47, sms wrote:
[...]

I was using Hammer Heed but started using these Nuun electrolyte tablets.
Same idea but easier to carry spares. I use Cliff shots as well on longer
or tougher rides.

I hate stopping in the middle of a ride, sitting for a long time, eating
heavy food and then getting back on my bike for a long ride home. I have
to ride for miles before my stomach settles and my legs start working
again. I also like moving better than sitting. Even on long rides, I take
short-ish stops, eat carbs, often drink coffee (because of my cohort) and
save the meat sandwiches, beer, etc. for when I get near home. YMMV.

Same here. A cliff bar during a break and maybe a nice lunch after the
ride. We do a Champlain Island ride and there’s the North Hero sandwich
shop. Great stuff but on a 110km ride the sandwich shop is 30km from the
finish. My preference is to finish the ride and drive back there for
lunch.

I can’t imagine beer, bread and cheese in the middle of a ride.

-- Jay Beattie.

-- Jay Beattie.

--
duane
Old September 27th 18, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

New sport food chewables in Oregon: https://weedmaps.com/brands/wyld/edi...te-1-1-gummies

With low THC, it's probably not much different from Joerg's on-bike growler, minus the calories and beer bloat (and weight). Plus CBD magically cures everything. https://floydsofleadville.com/

-- Jay Beattie.

Old September 27th 18, 09:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

Yep, no more "I'm just getting stoned, dude." Now it's "No really,
nothing else helps me! My doctor says so!"

Will cocaine be the next trendy "Gee, it cures everything!" wonder drug?

Sherlock Holmes was fond of it, and retro is cool. Maybe it should be
passed out on tweed rides?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 28th 18, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018 10:52:11 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

I can’t imagine beer, bread and cheese in the middle of a ride.

A Panda Express "Kid's Meal" goes very well. But I always take the
cookie home and share it.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

---
https://www.avg.com

Old September 28th 18, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-09-21 08:47, sms wrote:
[...]

Yesterday I did 47 miles with 2200 feet of climbing, stopping right in the middle of it for a half hour breakfast sandwich and coffee break and got home 4 1/2 hours after I left. The return climb is steeper and being later in the day had a 15 mph headwind. Now my fitness is returning but I normally do this climb at 5 mph. Yesterday I did almost the entire climb at 7 mph and when I returned home I was hungry. So I don't think that energy bars would improve a thing.

Interbike 2011 Report SMS Techniques 2 September 18th 11 03:43 AM
Sheldon Brown's 2007 Interbike Report Sheldon Brown General 104 October 9th 07 03:09 AM
Sheldon Brown's 2007 Interbike Report Sheldon Brown Techniques 107 October 9th 07 03:09 AM
Sheldon Brown's Interbike Report and Podcasts Sheldon Brown General 11 October 5th 05 08:47 PM
Interbike trade show report online now! bikemecca.com Techniques 0 September 28th 05 05:31 AM