Helmets

Old April 20th 04, 12:27 AM
paul

Default Helmets

In article ,
says...
I'm new to this group so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

I remember when I was, I wondered the same as well..

Wearing a helmet will become compulsory for under 16's in the UK.

Not yet it won't, and in no small part thanks to some contributers on
here
I've
read/heard many people complaining that this will deter people from picking
up cycling,

aparently the evidence supports this view...
as wearing a helmet implies a dangerous activity.

But possibly not for thsi reason

I totally disagree with this.

That's your perojorative. It is simalar to the veiw I held a few shhort
weeks ago. Now, I'm much better read on the subject and have decided
that its a complicated subject, but compulsion IS a bad thing.

What do you guys think?

Lots and lots of conflicting things, on the whole ::~)
Nice to be in a UK based newsgroup!
--
Vivian
-------

--
..paul

If at first you don't succeed...
Skydiving is probably not the sport for you.
Old April 20th 04, 01:55 AM
Mark Thompson

I'm new to this group so I don't know if this has been discussed
before.

Wearing a helmet will become compulsory for under 16's in the UK.
I've read/heard many people complaining that this will deter people
from picking up cycling, as wearing a helmet implies a dangerous
activity.

I totally disagree with this.

What do you guys think?

Due to lots of talking about this, the general consensus of the group is
remarkably similar to what's on the other end of this link:

http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Camp...leafleta_w.pdf

There're a few (and I think it is only a few) who hold substantially
differing views on either side.

It should be noted that a lot of information provided by pro-compulsion
lobby groups (and then repeated by everyone else) is incorrect -I think
there's a section on it in the link- so looking critically at the
information provided by all parties in the debate is important.

Anyway, after you've read what's on the other side of the link you'll
know why we think what we think. What I'm curious about is why you think
what you think.

Old April 20th 04, 07:56 AM
Ian Smith

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:53:26 +0100, Vivian wrote:
I'm new to this group so I don't know if this has been discussed before.

Wearing a helmet will become compulsory for under 16's in the UK. I've
read/heard many people complaining that this will deter people from picking
up cycling, as wearing a helmet implies a dangerous activity.

I totally disagree with this.

What do you guys think?

I think you are a troll, and not a particularaly clever one.

However, it's possible you're sincere but misguided, in which case I
suggest you try a newsgroup archive (google, perhaps) and read up
about it.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

Old April 20th 04, 09:05 AM
Simon Brooke

in message , Peter Connolly
k') wrote:

Simon wrote:
No need to shoot this guy down in flames- it's his first time!

Welcome to the group!

Seconded.

And anyone who wants to have a helmet rant, have a look at
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/3623089.stm

Here's an excellent excerpt from that page:

In Scotland in 2002 there were 14 children killed in road accidents.
12 were pedestrians and two were car passengers. No child cyclists
were killed. It would appear this bill would be more effective if it
required pedestrians or car passengers to wear helmets. This bill will
reduce overall life expectancy by discouraging children from adopting
an active lifestyle. Cycling is not a dangerous activity.
I Cullen, East Dumbartonshire

Well said!

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To murder men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for
murther
-- Roburt Burns, 'Thanksgiving For a National Victory'

Old April 20th 04, 09:07 AM
Peter Clinch

JohnB wrote:
Simon Brooke wrote:

Oh, no, not again.

I think this issue is just so important that it doesn't really matter if
it keeps getting raised.

True, but that doesn't mean it isn't very dull trotting out the same
lines again and again.

This group is intensely weary of discussing helmets.

That's *your* opinion, albeit an understandable guess.

But it *is* very dull trotting out the same lines again and again, even
though I'm prepared to do it. Just because I feel obliged to wash the
dishes doesn't mean I look forwards to it!

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old April 21st 04, 12:11 AM
Vivian

This guy? THIS GUY????????????????????????????/ I'M A WOMAN!!!!!!!

Jeeeeesus.....!!

Vivian
-------

"Simon" wrote in message

No need to shoot this guy down in flames- it's his first time!

Welcome to the group!

Simon

www.simonpaddon.com
www.coast-coast.info