Helmets

Old April 21st 04, 11:22 AM
Gawnsoft

Default Helmets

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:11:21 +0100, "Vivian"
wrote (more or less):

This guy? THIS GUY????????????????????????????/ I'M A WOMAN!!!!!!!

Jeeeeesus.....!!

We were fooled by the fact you signed it 'Vivian' in a uk.* newsgroup,
rather than the more usual feminised forms.

Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Old April 21st 04, 11:26 AM
Gawnsoft

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 00:20:33 +0100, "Vivian"
wrote (more or less):

I see the helmets as a protection, really. When wearing seatbelts becase
compulsory, did that deter drivers from buying and driving cars? Don't think
so.

Cars are used often for transport where there are no easily
substitutable alternative forms of transport.

All the contrary by the looks of it!! Did the obligatory use of
helmets for motorcyclist reduce their numbers? Nope.

Actually, it did. Specifically for Sikhs.

Plus, motorcycles regularly travel at skull-smashing impact speeds.

The other key point about motorbikes and cars is that the driver/rider
does not have to provide the effort involved for carrying any extra
weight, e.g. helmets, or storage bins for things like helmets once
parked up.

I think we should trust people a bit more, that's all.

And also ignore teh results observed when helmets have been made
compulsory elsewhere.

Old April 21st 04, 12:20 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Gawnsoft wrote:

Cars are used often for transport where there are no easily
substitutable alternative forms of transport.

The word "no" seems to have slipped into the above by accident ;-)

--
Guy
===

Old April 21st 04, 12:48 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Vivian wrote:
I thought that a troll was somebody who insulted other members of the
newsgroup. Now, I haven't insulted anyone. Not yet at least! ;-)

So, I think you should take it back. Really.

I think you're a troll, and a top-posting troll, which is worse. Really.

Old April 21st 04, 01:02 PM
Peter Clinch

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Gawnsoft wrote:

Cars are used often for transport where there are no easily
substitutable alternative forms of transport.

The word "no" seems to have slipped into the above by accident ;-)

Yes and no ;-)
Tell me how to get to Arisaig with 2x5m sea kayaks in an evening without
using a private motor vehicle and I'll be interested and surprised.
OTOH I know people that drive less than 1 km and don't see it as silly
(although cyclists they don't cycle as they have totally impractical
road racers and only cycle if they're all togged up in All The Gear,
though why they don't just walk is a bit beyond me).

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old April 21st 04, 01:17 PM
Clive George

"Peter Clinch" wrote in message

Yes and no ;-)
Tell me how to get to Arisaig with 2x5m sea kayaks in an evening without
using a private motor vehicle and I'll be interested and surprised.

Start at Mallaig? :-)

cheers,
clive