My New Bike

Old February 20th 04, 08:50 AM
Andrew Swan

Default My New Bike

Hi All,

I can't resist posting some pics of my new bike (named Italian Boy after
the frame's country of origin):

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~andre...rt/italian_boy

Bought the frame (Al), fork (CF), and headset (FSA) new as a set from
eBay (a UK-based shop).
Bought the wheels used from eBay (have about 4000km on them apparently).
Bought the groupset and tyres mail order from Parker UK.
Moved the saddle, computer, and pedals across from my old road bike
(Giant Peloton 7000, CroMoly frame).
Bought the stem and bars new from eBay (different sellers).
Bought the rest (bar tape, computer cable, seat post, tubes, cable
sleeves) from the LBS.

It took me a few evenings to put it all together. I had some drama
setting the rear derailleur angle (had to remove the adjusting screw and
turn it around) and fitting the headset to the fork (which I had to file
down), but in the end I am glad I did it all myself.

It cost me about $2250 all up (inc. shipping, duty, and GST), weighs
about 9.5kg (cf. my last bike = 11.5kg).

Rode it today for the first time, very happy with it once I sorted out a
few clicking and grinding noises from the gears! Ultegra feels so smooth
and positive after RSX (a discontinued range that sits somewhere below
the current 105). People told me an Al frame would feel harsh after
steel, but I didn't notice anything bad. The weirdest part is having
wider bars than before (to match my shoulder width better) - it feels
really open instead of hunched.

The handling feels different as well - I think my old bike was too small
for me, and once I get used to the new bike, I think it's going to feel
a lot more natural and balanced than before.

Can't wait to unleash it on my unsuspecting clubmates on race day...!

&roo

P.S. No more bikes now - the garage wall is full!

Old February 20th 04, 12:33 PM
powinc

Andre

It's look like a really sharp bike for $2250 and I love the color

Cheers and happy ridin

powin

-

Old February 21st 04, 04:05 AM
hippy

"Andrew Swan" wrote in message
I can't resist posting some pics of my new bike (named Italian Boy after
the frame's country of origin):

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~andre...rt/italian_boy

WOW! I LOVE that frame!
The first shot isn't blue.. it's --- !!! BLUE !!!! --- ;-)

Now you just need to get blue pedals, blue bidon and one
of those blue Flite saddles (hopefully not a squeeker! ;-)).
http://www.cycletechinc.com/jpg4/sadblu2.jpg
http://www.cambriabike.com/saddles/i...gel_blu_03.jpg

Oh, you HAVE to cut that fork steerer down man.. thinking
about doing a superman over that and hitting a rather
delicate part of the body on the way over the bars
makes me cringe. ;-)

Looking at the seat height and stem length - are you
pretty tall or is it a smallish frame?

Very sexy wheel/tyre combo and the fact that you built it up
yourself and it's so clean makes me very jealous :-)

hippy

Old February 21st 04, 06:44 AM
Andrew Swan

hippy wrote:
The first shot isn't blue.. it's --- !!! BLUE !!!! --- ;-)

Paradiso Blue, apparently. Although if you look closely you'll see there
are two blues (dark round the outside, light round the inside), so I'm
not sure which one is Paradiso...

Now you just need to get blue pedals, blue bidon and one
of those blue Flite saddles (hopefully not a squeeker! ;-)).
http://www.cycletechinc.com/jpg4/sadblu2.jpg
http://www.cambriabike.com/saddles/i...gel_blu_03.jpg

My club colours are red and blue, so I had to have *some* red in there! ;-)

Oh, you HAVE to cut that fork steerer down man.. thinking
about doing a superman over that and hitting a rather
delicate part of the body on the way over the bars
makes me cringe. ;-)

There's even *more* protruding now that I've lowered the bars! I'll cut
it to size once I've ridden it some more and finalised my bar height. In
the meantime I'll ride like my future kids' lives depend on it.

Looking at the seat height and stem length - are you
pretty tall or is it a smallish frame?

It's a sloping top tube to start with, plus it's a 57cm frame and I
would normally take a 58, but the next size up was a 60 and I figured
better to be 1cm too small and use longer seat post and stem than go 2cm
too big and struggle for a good fit. Yes, I'm reasonably tall at 187.5.
I had to buy a special seat post as most of the road ones I saw were too
short.

Very sexy wheel/tyre combo and the fact that you built it up
yourself and it's so clean makes me very jealous :-)

Ah, your envy has made my day! :-)

&roo

Old February 21st 04, 08:10 AM
hippy

The first shot isn't blue.. it's --- !!! BLUE !!!! --- ;-)

Paradiso Blue, apparently. Although if you look closely you'll see there
are two blues (dark round the outside, light round the inside), so I'm
not sure which one is Paradiso...

Ahh yes.. I didn't even notice. I think I might've assumed it
was just bright sun on the tops of the frame tubes.

Now you just need to get blue pedals, blue bidon and one
of those blue Flite saddles (hopefully not a squeeker! ;-)).
http://www.cycletechinc.com/jpg4/sadblu2.jpg

http://www.cambriabike.com/saddles/i...gel_blu_03.jpg
My club colours are red and blue, so I had to have *some* red in there!

;-)

Bah, bike porn-factor should always come before club loyalty! ;-)
Tell you what - blue pedals and saddle and I'll let you have a red
bidon cage - deal? cackles like the sleep deprived fool he is

There's even *more* protruding now that I've lowered the bars! I'll cut
it to size once I've ridden it some more and finalised my bar height. In
the meantime I'll ride like my future kids' lives depend on it.

hehe! To obtain a high BPF (bike porn factor), all unecessary objects
must be removed from the bike. This includes: handlebar baskets,
handlebar tassles, spokey-dokeys, bells, flags and excess steerer tube.

This requirement is null and void for singlespeeders - in this case, tassles
and spokey-dokeys are required by law. ;-)

It's a sloping top tube to start with, plus it's a 57cm frame and I
would normally take a 58, but the next size up was a 60 and I figured
better to be 1cm too small and use longer seat post and stem than go 2cm
too big and struggle for a good fit. Yes, I'm reasonably tall at 187.5.
I had to buy a special seat post as most of the road ones I saw were too
short.

Sounds totally reasonable.. you may pass.
What sort of seatpost is that, btw?
While I'm being all curious.. how do you pronounce Fondriest?
"fondreest", "fond-re-est", "fondrist, etc?

Very sexy wheel/tyre combo and the fact that you built it up
yourself and it's so clean makes me very jealous :-)

Ah, your envy has made my day! :-)

I am genuinely impressed! You should be happy that my
bike has just been forced into early retirement..

For the curiouser:
http://www.fondriestbici.com/
http://www.fondriest-usa.com/index.php

Check out the Carbon DFC or Domino Carbon models
with "Woman Body" paint option! The Tracy Car paint
looks cool too... Fondriest really know their paint!

I'm still keen on a Cervelo frameset hanging in my
LBS that just happens to be my size...
http://www.cervelo.com/images/2003/2003-SLteam-full.jpg

hippy

Old February 21st 04, 09:03 AM
amirm

Andrew Swan wrote:
Hi All,
I can't resist posting some pics of my new bike (named Italian Boy after
the frame's country of origin):
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~andre...yhttp://membe-
rs.ozemail.com.au/~andrewswan/sport/italian_boy
[...]

Andrew:

Wow! That's one kool (cool blue) bike. Nice taste in choosin
component colours

Just a little suggestion, if you don't mind. I hope you're planning t
cut that steerer tube to size. It's look is a turn off. But that's me

Cheers, Amir

-

Old February 21st 04, 11:04 AM
cfsmtb

Andrew Swan wrote:
P.S. No more bikes now - the garage wall is full!

Very nice kit for $2250, well worth the DIY fiddling. Whatdoya mea
about the beloved being stoved in the GARAGE! Should be at least in th
front room or hallway.:

-

Old February 22nd 04, 03:08 AM
Andrew Swan

hippy wrote:
I'm still keen on a Cervelo frameset hanging in my
LBS that just happens to be my size...
http://www.cervelo.com/images/2003/2003-SLteam-full.jpg

hippy

Surely you could source some red wheels and bar tape to go with it? :-)

&roo

Old February 22nd 04, 03:14 AM
Andrew Swan

cfsmtb wrote:
Very nice kit for $2250, well worth the DIY fiddling. Whatdoya mean
about the beloved being stoved in the GARAGE! Should be at least in the
front room or hallway.

I was going to hang it on the living room wall, but:

1. I'd have to get the lounge suite re-upholstered in blue.
2. It'd be the only original artwork in the room.
3. I'd never be able to concentrate on the TV.
4. insert your own reason here, best entry wins absolutely nothing

P.S. "Italian Boy" had his first race today, a 43km ITT. He went
flawlessly (wish I could say the same for me).

&roo

Old February 22nd 04, 07:07 AM
hippy

hippy wrote:
I'm still keen on a Cervelo frameset hanging in my
LBS that just happens to be my size...
http://www.cervelo.com/images/2003/2003-SLteam-full.jpg

Surely you could source some red wheels and bar tape to go with it? :-)

Mick only has the frameset, so everything else would be
my choice. Definately wouldn't be using those Shimano
wheels and I already have a nice red Flite saddle. Red
bar tape for sure - the Peugeot's red tape needs replacing,
while I'm thinking about it. Call me crazy, but I think
pedals would help too ;-) Actually, 'road' pedals are STILL
on the cards for the Peugeot.. one day...

I must say though, after seeing those Fondriest frames,
I'm drooling at the thought of some gnarly graphics like
they offer. I also have a desire for something more
exotic, say Carbon or Ti or even NFS (new fangled steel).

Combined with a new SS, a duallie, the 17-40mm and
the 200mm lenses and general living expenses, which are
not so general when you see what I eat! - the new road
bike could be a LONG way off.

hippy