BMX an Olympic sport!

Old July 1st 03, 10:24 AM
Luther Blissett

Default BMX an Olympic sport!

From news.com.au
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0...-23218,00.html

BMX cycling at Beijing Games
From correspondnts in Prague
July 1, 2003

THE International Olympic Committee said today it has approved the
addition of men's and women's BMX cycling for the Beijing Games in 2008.

IOC President Jacques Rogge said that the International Cycling
Federation will drop two of its events to add BMX, or bike moto-cross,
to the competition.

"It (BMX) will not add anything in terms of the number of athletes,"
said Rogge, adding that the Cycling Federation has yet to decide which
two events will be dropped.

Rogge said that the overall number of events for competition at Beijing
will remain at 300.

A number of so-called "extreme sports" have been added to the Olympics
in recent years, including triathlon and mountain biking to the Summer
Games, and snowboarding to the Winter Games.

Agence France-Presse

Old July 2nd 03, 10:33 AM
Andrew Swan

Default Was "BMX an Olympic sport!" now "Is Snowboarding Extreme?" [OT]

A number of so-called "extreme sports" have been added to the Olympics
in recent years, including triathlon and mountain biking to the Summer
Games, and snowboarding to the Winter Games.

I know this is wildly OT (so flame me), but how is snowboarding extreme
and skiing (by implication) is not? Or more on-topic, how is MTBing (in
its Olympic form) extreme, and road/track cycling (again by implication)
is not?

&roo

Old July 3rd 03, 09:10 AM
Twisties

i agree, "extreme" now means anything where you may be more than 50cm of
the ground.

--
SPECIALIZED
BigHit: Because the engine is fearless.

Old July 3rd 03, 11:41 AM
Peter Signorini

"Twisties" wrote in message
i agree, "extreme" now means anything where you may be more than 50cm of
the ground

From the news report
"extreme sports" have been added to the Olympics in recent years,

including triathlon.

Not even 50cm it seems!

I think the extreme tag has been applied to any sport which is new and
unconventional. The established Olympic sports tend to be those which have a
reasonably lengthy tradition of organised sporting activity and are accepted
by those in authority over sport. Things like road cycling or downhill
skiing are part of the establishment and OK to devote time and resources
towards. Any newer sports (post 1980) all get tarred with the brush of high
risk and questionable morality.

We could probably add synchronised swimming and beach volleyball to the list
of 'extreme sports'

Cheers
Peter