Chain cleaning solvents

Old April 5th 07, 02:23 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rory Williams[_7_]

Default Chain cleaning solvents

suzyj Wrote:

They are (and I do have a bottle of kero from Bunnings at the moment),
but I get really p**ed off at paying $3 or $4 a litre for something
that was $1 a litre from the bowser.

Bit like bottled water really.

My Local servo in Hughesdale (south east melbourne) still has a kero
Bowser. about $1.50 a litre I think

Bit out of your way I expect. I keep meaning to ask then how much the
sell

RoryW

--
Rory Williams

Old April 5th 07, 12:22 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

suzyj wrote:

They are (and I do have a bottle of kero from Bunnings at the moment),
but I get really p**ed off at paying $3 or $4 a litre for something
that was $1 a litre from the bowser.

Bit like bottled water really.

Like distilled water.
Minto Harware was selling 20L for $27 including nice sturdy 20L
container, or 4L for $5. Minto closed up and now it is $14 for 2L at
Bunnings and the cheap auto places.

Old April 6th 07, 07:44 PM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2007-04-05, Terryc (aka Bruce)
suzyj wrote:

They are (and I do have a bottle of kero from Bunnings at the moment),
but I get really p**ed off at paying $3 or $4 a litre for something
that was $1 a litre from the bowser.

Bit like bottled water really.

Like distilled water.
Minto Harware was selling 20L for $27 including nice sturdy 20L
container, or 4L for $5. Minto closed up and now it is $14 for 2L at
Bunnings and the cheap auto places.

Damn. Demineralised water (can't be bothered researching the
different right now) at Woolies was roughly $3 last time I bought ~2L.

--
TimC
Your fault (core dumped)
Old April 7th 07, 04:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Fractal

"Michael Warner" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:55:31 +1000, suzyj wrote:

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains, but it became shockingly
expensive (nobody had it at the bowser anymore) so I changed to
petrodiesel, which has been pretty good for getting gunk off chains.

I use turps in a plastic container - if you let the gunk settle and pour
off the rest, you only need to top it up a little each time.

OK all, be honest, how do you get rid of old solvent? Kero is not good for
the environment if poured down drains or into soil etc. Turps is probably
the same. Best bet may be to burn it in a controlled fashion. Or take it to
a hazardous waste disposal centre.

Old April 7th 07, 10:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Donga

Home page:http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

OK all, be honest, how do you get rid of old solvent? Kero is not good for
the environment if poured down drains or into soil etc. Turps is probably
the same. Best bet may be to burn it in a controlled fashion. Or take it to
a hazardous waste disposal centre.

I clean my chain on the back lawn. I move around the lawn and it
hasn't killed any bits of lawn yet. I expect the tiny bit of kero I
put into the soil has no measurable effect on the environment, and is
miniscule compared to what a car pumps into the air in a day. Chances
are it is biodegraded.

Donga

Old April 7th 07, 10:31 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

TimC wrote:

Damn. Demineralised water (can't be bothered researching the
different right now) at Woolies was roughly $3 last time I bought ~2L

That is what we are now buying, but today I noticed that ?Super Cheap
Auto sells 5L for similar prices (?).

Old April 7th 07, 10:38 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Terryc

Fractal wrote:
"Michael Warner" wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 4 Apr 2007 09:55:31 +1000, suzyj wrote:

I used to use kerosene to clean my chains, but it became shockingly
expensive (nobody had it at the bowser anymore) so I changed to
petrodiesel, which has been pretty good for getting gunk off chains.

I use turps in a plastic container - if you let the gunk settle and pour
off the rest, you only need to top it up a little each time.

OK all, be honest, how do you get rid of old solvent?

It isn't really solvent by the time I finish with it. Mostly congealed
gunk at the bottom of the container. So every time council has a
hazardous waste collection, I just pour the liquid off the top and give
them the 4L container.

Sometimes I make ???pots; very tight coil of cardboard into tuna tin,
soaked with old kero/turps etc and set a light for trail marker, keep
mossies away (add citronella or old mozzie candle wax).

deerr, brain flsuh, There is something else I do with it from time to
time that just uses it up, but it came and went (shouldn't be thinking
game tactics (warlords II), whilst installing win2k box and apps, whilst
answering usenet).

aaah, model steam train. most of the liquid concoction goes into large
powered milk/milo tim with 1" cube of wood, which are used to light the
char firein my model steam train. So yes, I burn it up.
Old April 10th 07, 03:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers

John Henderson wrote:

If only I could buy it here in Canberra. I need a large vehicle
to take my son's wheelchair, and don't like imposing more
greenhouse load than I need to.

Don't feel guilty John. It appears that cars do very little poluting anyway.
According to the "Earth Hour" blather, everybody in Australia turning off
their lights for 'just one hour' is a saving in greenhouse gases equivalent
to taking 75,000 cars of the road for a year. According to my calculator
that means that turning off the lights for a week a year would be equivalent
to taking all the cars in Oz off the roads. This suggests that all the cars
make less than a 2% contribution to the greenhouse gases problem.

Or maybe it was just all bull**** propaganda....

We do acknowledge that more than 70% of our greenhouse emissions come from
coal-fired power generation.

Theo

Yet another chain cleaning tip Gary Smiley Techniques 11 October 17th 06 09:01 PM
chain cleaning TomCAt General 54 September 16th 05 04:00 AM
CHAIN CLEANING the best way? Polly Techniques 55 May 18th 05 10:38 PM
Chain Cleaning kwa_zulu Australia 4 January 5th 05 12:36 AM
Chain cleaning Alan Walker Australia 1 December 2nd 04 10:47 AM