today's ride

Old Yesterday, 05:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default today's ride

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 07:46:49 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

The Ancients had pockets on both sides of their jerseys:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...rtali--012.jpg

My Effective Cycling instructor had pockets *only* on the front of his
jersey. I've forgotten what his reasons were. Mostly that he found
pockets in the back inconvenient, I suppose.

I've room for only two pockets in front, and put them high on the
shoulders for obvious reasons.

Ever since I started carrying a cell phone, I've had no place to put
my candy. But I'm now so fat and slow that I don't need to refuel
while moving. And in hot weather, there is starch and sugar in my
switchel.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old Today, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-20 17:56, jbeattie wrote:

[...]

I ride through Willamette Park, and it has a gazebo-like thing in
it, but I this drone video misses it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUZxC_3gK_8 Take my word for
it, we have gazebos up the butt here in PDX.

If I go home on the east side, I can stop at an amusement park.
Top that! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoNyeMgVVtI Portland's
own Pismo Beach.

Ours is nicer 8-)

http://access.parks.ca.gov/parkpictu...omBealsPic.jpg

It is, but mine is on the way home from work.

So is Folsom Lake for me. My office is less than 100ft from our living
area so going to work won't require a bicycle for me. Beals Point is a
place I often go to on errand rides or training rides into the valley.
It costs a total of 2mi detour which is a drop in the bucket during a
40mi trip.

... If I want to go to a river destination, I go he
http://crimdom.net/photos/2017/colum...e/#montage.mp4

That is indeed pristine. We have to go up into the mountains or to
Yosemite to see waterfalls like that. Than can be achieved via bicycle
but it'll take a while.

... It definitely has a gazebo -- and a skating rink with a
mighty Wurlitzer! Cameron Park would die to have this kind of
action! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pe3N39p8uSE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYsvZESoAuQ Couples to the
right!

Cool, he is playing while watch the pretty girls, doesn't even need
the sheet music.

Cameron Park also has its attractions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_sd0yoHsM8

No skating rink though but there is an open air one in Folsom
during winter, in the middle of old town where I regularly cycle
through.

And airplanes. What is has is a warm, dry climate and the Sierra up
the road. I'd be riding up there.

I generally don't unless it is singletrack. Most roads are narrow and
once in a while there is some expression censored blowing through at
breakneck speed in a lowered sports car or on a motorcycle. As if
nothing slow could ever be in the road. Like ... a climbing cyclist.
After the last comeuppance where a helmet with attached rider and
motorcycle flew by under my left elbow I had enough of that.

... Actually, riding through the area
years ago coming back from Tahoe, one of the worst climbs was on HWY
49 near Coulterville.
https://i.pinimg.com/600x315/7a/56/6...e3487b6377.jpg
Long and totally exposed -- after lunch, on a fully loaded touring
bike. I wasn't into it.

I never was. Long climbs are something I have always dreaded and just do
them when I have to. I never understood people like one of the guys I
sometimes ride with. He participated in the Death Ride several times and
actually enjoyed it. When we rode together he'd sometimes say "Oh, that
is a nice climb!" while I'd rather turn on some reggae on my MP3 player
and get it over with. The other sound I found helps with climbs is the
chouff-chouff of a steam locomotive which I also have on the player.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Today's ride Tom Crispin UK 7 October 12th 08 03:37 PM
Today's Ride Nigel Randell[_2_] UK 5 October 23rd 07 10:38 AM
today's ride Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 May 14th 06 09:02 AM
Seen on today's ride Brian G UK 31 January 25th 06 11:58 AM
Today's ride Tim Hall UK 6 February 3rd 04 10:45 AM