36er, handlebars and bike seat??

Old December 10th 08, 06:42 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
JesseG

Default 36er, handlebars and bike seat??

Learned this from Keith Bontrager (not personally, I say this for
cred).

Freaking SLATHER your chamois with vaseline ($4 a tub).

As he put it, in The Tour, everyone uses a LOT of chamois butter,
because the more the better. But average joe's don't do this, cause it's
$25 for a modest amount.

Try it, you'll like it.

(And if you like "euro-style", throw in a little (unless you're VERY
adventurous) Vick's vapor rub, or apply it directly to your skin where
you want it, but expect some migration. FWIW, there is a good functional
argument to be made about why menthol is good--relating to increased
blood flow that is undeniable.)

--
JesseG

Old January 8th 09, 03:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

brycer1968;1144149 wrote:

For the saddle test, I just tried it out by its self on a rail type
seat post on my 29er - with no handlebar, just around the block and it
so completely and fully failed the comfort test in this state that I
didn't even go on to trying to fit it on a proper handlebar set-up.

That would fail the comfort test in much the same way as riding a bike
with no handlebars. If you use a bike seat (whether on a unicycle or
bicycle), I think you need handlebars.

Your bar looks like it's screaming for some support (it's really long)!
Perhaps you could do what I did with the T7 and stick shorter poles
front and back.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 8th 09, 04:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

brycer1968;1137235 wrote:

Those of you with significant, larger handlebars or even aero bars that
effectively hold you into the saddle and reduce the need for the forward
part of the hour-glass shape of a standard unicycle seat, someone here
(I think that Sasquach-Saskatchawanin?) suggested trying out a bike
seat. I think this idea will only work well with a significantly
forward leaning riding position.

As per my thread on Road Unicycle Set-up, I don't think your position
is particularly 'forward leaning' or 'stretched' for a lot of people. I
probably ride with my back at the same angle as you, or even lower.

Many riders ride in that exact posture, but with short stubby handles
on their seat. So their hands are up against their crotch, not
supporting anything with elbows locked in flexion.

Think about it less as body positioning as it is about hand/arm
positioning.

|Filename: Riding Position.jpg |