Too many flats... here's one solution.

Old January 12th 09, 09:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phil

Default Too many flats... here's one solution.

My muni has a tubeless tyre; I don't see me ever converting it back,
given the feel of the ride and the puncture resistance is much better. I
haven't converted my 29er yet but it's on the list. I use a "poor man's"
tubeless setup that only uses some sealant and a smaller diameter inner
tube cut in half as a rim strip; it involves very little outlay so would
be good if you want to give it a try without spending loads of money if
it doesn't work.

A half way house you could try would be to get a tube with a removeable
valve core and put some tubeless sealant in it; it's very good at
sealing punctures from thorns and cuts from glass so I see no reason why
it wouldn't work in a tube too.

Phil

--
phil

"Cattle Prods solve most of life's little problems."
Old January 12th 09, 10:27 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jtrops

I really should look into the poor mans tubeless setup, as that pretty
much describes me.

I think that tire savers were available for a long time, but as tires
got knobby they became useless. With smooth road tires they really work
well. I still have one on an old road bike. Maybe I'll dig it out and
take a picture for comparison.

There have been a bunch of really good things for bikes that aren't
available anymore. It seems like a bunch of them were small companies
that just stopped for one reason or another. I'm sure that these didn't
go away because they were not effective.

--
jtrops
Old January 12th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

Nifty concept. Does it catch if you ride backwards?

--
phlegm
Old January 13th 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Danny Colyer

jtrops;1169475 wrote:
I think that tire savers were available for a long time, but as tires
got knobby they became useless. With smooth road tires they really work
well.

I tried them with Marathon Slicks and didn't get good results. They
/were/ rather badly home-made tyre savers, though.

--
Danny Colyer

'http://www.redpedals.co.uk' (http://www.colyer.plus.com/danny/)
"I don't think proofreading is adequate. All posts should be waxed and
buffed. Then they should wear little tuxedos." - Greg Harper on usenet
Old January 13th 09, 02:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
harper

I don't see how going tubeless can prevent the puncture flats discussed.
Is there something else used in the tubeless conversion to prevent
punctures? I thought that it just prevented pinch flats.

--
harper

-Greg Harper

"Natural logs are what you ride on a Mun'e'." - kevinalexandersmith
Old January 13th 09, 03:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
john_childs

harper;1169591 wrote:
I don't see how going tubeless can prevent the puncture flats discussed.
Is there something else used in the tubeless conversion to prevent
punctures? I thought that it just prevented pinch flats.

There is a 'latex sealant'
(http://www.notubes.com/tubeless_system.php?cPath=21_60) added that can
plug thorn holes.

--
john_childs

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Team Never Wash Your Muni
'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/3d57bn) :: 'Unicycling Bookmark List'
(http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) :: 'World Clock'
(http://tinyurl.com/2blym3)

Too many flats... here's one solution. jtrops Unicycling 0 January 12th 09 04:02 AM
Too many flats... here's one solution. skrobo Unicycling 0 January 12th 09 03:57 AM
No more flats Greens Techniques 1 September 15th 07 02:03 PM
30 on the flats! jj General 26 April 4th 05 02:40 PM
Too many Flats...what to do? daino149 Unicycling 19 March 10th 04 07:18 AM