28 mph e-bikes

Old August 31st 19, 04:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

Default 28 mph e-bikes

To me, this seems nuts - 28 miles per hour on park paths?

https://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-c...142615810.html

It's been pointed out that until now, if you could ride 28 mph, you had probably
spent lots of time riding a bike. By trial and error, if nothing else, you knew
a bit about handling the bike at speed.

Now we can get prosperous newbies who can barely balance blasting along at high
speed past hikers and horses. Crazy.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 31st 19, 07:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Frank Krygowski wrote:
To me, this seems nuts - 28 miles per hour on park paths?

(Yahoo site won't work without cookies, so IFTFY
https://www.latimes.com/travel/story/2019-08-30/national-parks-electric-bikes

It's been pointed out that until now, if you could ride 28 mph, you had probably
spent lots of time riding a bike. By trial and error, if nothing else, you knew
a bit about handling the bike at speed.

Now we can get prosperous newbies who can barely balance blasting along at high
speed past hikers and horses. Crazy.

In areas of the European Alps, local bike shops have largely turned into
e-bike (nominally, pedelec) rental stations. Mountain rescue services are
experiencing a new challenge: Flocks of stupid, weak and inexperienced
tourists thought they were fine while e-climbing uphill into remote areas,
as far as the battery charge would carry them, but don't have the riding
skills to make it down again. They need transportation downhill, as do
their beloved, 50-lbs. bikes.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41R2z7FK97L.jpg
SCNR.
Old August 31st 19, 09:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 5:33:17 AM UTC+2, Frank Krygowski wrote:
To me, this seems nuts - 28 miles per hour on park paths?

https://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-c...142615810.html

It's been pointed out that until now, if you could ride 28 mph, you had probably
spent lots of time riding a bike. By trial and error, if nothing else, you knew
a bit about handling the bike at speed.

Now we can get prosperous newbies who can barely balance blasting along at high
speed past hikers and horses. Crazy.

- Frank Krygowski

For those kind of bikes here wearing a helmet is mandatory, you have to have some kind of driver licence and they are not allowed on the bike paths in some areas. I don't see a lot of them in contrast with the normal Ebikes which have taken over normal bikes for people not into sportive cycling.

Lou
Old August 31st 19, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman[_2_]

On Friday, August 30, 2019 at 11:33:17 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
To me, this seems nuts - 28 miles per hour on park paths?

https://news.yahoo.com/apnewsbreak-c...142615810.html

It's been pointed out that until now, if you could ride 28 mph, you had probably
spent lots of time riding a bike. By trial and error, if nothing else, you knew
a bit about handling the bike at speed.

Now we can get prosperous newbies who can barely balance blasting along at high
speed past hikers and horses. Crazy.

- Frank Krygowski

28 mph e-bikes mixing with pedal bikes on bike trails and urban bike lanes is bad policy. The frequency of conflicts between fast and slow moving users depends on the number of users, the width of the facility and the relative speed difference between users. There are already dangerous conditions between cyclists and pedestrians on 3 heavily used bridge MUP's in NYC: Brooklyn; Queensboro; and George Washington. Adding legally sanctioned e bikes going at twice the bicycle speed to this mix would be catastrophic. I'd suggest that e bike speeds be limited to 15 mph, when using pedistrian/pedal cycle MUP's.
Old August 31st 19, 02:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, 31 August 2019 08:51:55 UTC-4, Stephen Bauman wrote:
[...]

They should be banned from MUPs entirely! My experiences seem to show that the riders of those bikes won't slow down for others and the sight-lines on many MUPs are terrible. Ebikes and MUPs are accidents waiting to happen.

Cheers
Old September 1st 19, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

So it is in Massachusetts. Not that I'm suggesting that state be
nominated bellwether.
Old September 1st 19, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 23:15:29 -0400, Radey Shouman
wrote:

Sir Ridesalot writes:

[...]

Singapore, some time ago, enacted laws for e-bikes. For example,

Riding power-assisted bicycle on footpaths $1,000 fine / 3 month
jail term / both

Speeding (10km/h on footpaths or 25km/h on shared paths and cycling
paths) $1,000 fine / 3 months\u2019 jail / both

Using non-compliant devices (20kg weight, 70cm wide, or 25km/h
speed) $5,000 fine / 3 month jail term / both

And as of 1 July 2019, it is an offence to ride an unregistered
e-scooter on public paths. Power-assisted bicycles (PABs) must be
sealed with the LTA approval seal, registered and affixed with a
registration plate.

Apparently e-bikes became very [popular in Singapore and as one guy
wrote: The number of mishaps caused by PMDs has been rising in
Singapore. Can't be that bad, you think. But the numbers are legit
shocking, 3 PMD-related accidents a week occur on public roads and
paths. A friend working in one of the public hospitals complains that
A&E is always filled with e-bike and e-scooter-related cases these
days.

Note that Singapore has always tended toward draconian laws and
punishments but by the same token they do, for example, have the least
narcotic problems of any city in the world.
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old September 1st 19, 12:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman[_2_]

This link may explain the National Park Service's sudden interest in promoting 28 mph mopeds on nature trails.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/30/juice...ic-moped-bike/
Old September 1st 19, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

Stephen Bauman wrote:
This link may explain the National Park Service's sudden interest in promoting 28 mph mopeds on nature trails.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/30/juice...ic-moped-bike/

Useless pedals. Replace with dead-man's switch on handlebar.
Old September 2nd 19, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 7:32:47 AM UTC-4, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Stephen Bauman wrote:
This link may explain the National Park Service's sudden interest in promoting 28 mph mopeds on nature trails.

https://electrek.co/2019/08/30/juice...ic-moped-bike/

Useless pedals. Replace with dead-man's switch on handlebar.

As I recall, the legal specs require that the motor can't be putting out power
unless the person pedals. The bikes that use power without pedaling are limited
to something like 19 miles per hour.

But I imagine there will be plenty of people hot-rodding these bikes. Supposedly
one can buy chips to do that already. Which is not a good development.

- Frank Krygowski