Ambushed !

Old May 11th 20, 09:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

Default Ambushed !

On 5/10/2020 2:20 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
One reason for the roof rack is that it's by far best for carrying the
tandem. And I have it set up so it hangs above the car in the garage. I
lower it directly onto the roof, take about two minutes to fasten it
down and it's ready to go.

I do that too, with a pulley system I rigged up. While I'm lowering the
rack onto the car, I always hum the "Thunderbirds" [1] theme song.
"Thunderbirds are go!"

Truth is, I junked the car that the roof rack fit some years after we
bought the minivan (aka bike-and-dog shuttle). The car was old enough
to drink legally in the US. The rack still hangs there. I need to get
the tower feet that fit to my current non-van car.

[1] You know, Gerry Anderson, Supermarionation, and all that?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thunderbirds_(TV_series)
Gawd, I'm showing my age.

Mark J.
Old May 11th 20, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:37:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 10:29:41 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 9:52:56 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/11/2020 11:31 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 11:10:01 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/10/2020 5:40 PM, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2020 09:14:13 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:43:51 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 3:40:41 AM UTC-5, John B. wrote:

But, on the other hand, you never need to fill the tank with, what is
it now? $2.00 a gallon gasoline?
--
cheers,

John B.

$1.50 a gallon in the middle of Iowa. Within the past month its been around $1 gallon.

No kidding! Gads, it's still expensive in the PNW. We have no local refining and high taxes, so a big chunk of the price would remain even if oil were zero, which it was. I haven't put gas in my car for a month, but I only use it for trips or going skiing -- rarely commuting. I think my wife has put gas in her car maybe three weeks ago. With the plague, demand has plummeted, and the price crash isn't stimulating demand. I'm sure it will skyrocket when everyone goes back to work.

-- Jay Beattie.

Well crude futures reached a negative value the other day so I assume
that shortly the pumps will be paying you to take the gasoline off
their hands :-)

Not quite yet. But seriously, when crude oil futures were $75 the
refineries were not paying anything close to that for crude and when
futures were negative they were not paying anything close to that either.

What in the hell would you know what refineries are paying for oil? Do you understand what the word "future" means?

You may have conflated various prices.

The first oil price to go negative was Alberta wellhead
because it's a relatively undesirable crude and it's a very
long (expensive to transport) distance form any refinery.

You can carp about railroad price fixing or political
impediments to pipelines or whatever but the fact remains
that it has low value to a refiner and it's not anywhere
near a refinery.

Those principles apply to some greater or lesser extent to
other wells now, exacerbated by a regulatory impediment to
demand.

The cost of extraction for shale oil already exceeded the per-barrel price before the pandemic. It's just worse now.

There is refining capacity in Alberta. I wrote the stevedoring contracts for the movement of the unitized refineries assembled in Alberta -- for the transhipment of the giant units from barges to trucks at the Port of Vancouver.
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ment_crea.html
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ment_crea.html

Massive loads moved using multiple cranes probably at their limits. A truly incredible feat -- or folly, depending on how you look at it.

-- Jay Beattie.

What you sound like you're saying is that they are all owned by tiny companies and not large companies that can simply turn off the pumps and wait for the prices to be sufficient to get oil that way.

Fracking has made natural gas about as low as it has ever been.

What I'm saying is clear. The per-barrel price of oil is less than the cost of extracting it from oil shales/sands. But yes, storage capacity is limited. https://www.worldoil.com/news/2020/4...l-storage-firm Production is being cut. https://www.worldoil.com/news/2020/5...may-production Some wells are being shut-in, particularly in the shale patch. https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...Oil-Wells.html

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 11th 20, 10:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 10:25:43 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:37:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Fracking has made natural gas about as low as it has ever been.

What I'm saying is clear. The per-barrel price of oil is less than the cost of extracting it from oil shales/sands. But yes, storage capacity is limited.

I've been saying for over over 50 years, since I was a student, that there is no oil shortage, there is merely a cartel latterly called OPEC artificially restricting oil output to keep prices high, on some totally untenable theory that oil is a limited commodity and the price should be artificially high to preserve the wealth of a few barbarian nations, and for the self-satisfaction of the deliberate economy-wreckers who call themselves environmentalists, who ae marxists by any other name. I have been proved right again.
Old May 11th 20, 11:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:38:09 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 6:20:43 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2020 12:57:10 -0400, Frank Krygowski wrote:

Bike Friday's hitch is a repurposed quick connect used for air hoses.
The left dropout has a threaded boss that accepts the male end of the
quick connect. The trailer tongue has a short length of air hose plus
the female connector. This gives the necessary flexibility in all
directions.

TY. I know of the idea and I might look for a more industrial unit to
finally give it a try. My experience with these quick connects in smaller
hoses is a tendancy to disconnect is given the correct "flick' through
the hose.

Judging from your comments I assume that you ride a bike because you
cannot get a job paying enough to buy a car. This forces you to assume
the position that cars are bad. We've seen your kind here. It isn't that
we do not like bicycle activists, it is bicycle hypocrites like you.

Tom, how did you get from what news18 wrote above to the conclusion you
posted? It seems to be a complete non sequitur.

Did you see his comment after I explained about how masks do not work?

"BULL****"

One minute on the search engine would have proven me correct. M95 masks are made to protect you from bacteria not viruses. A virus will slip through practically anything.

If you have a lung ailment you are spraying the cause of that illness everywhere with each breath. In controlled atmospheres such as inside of buildings with relatively light air circulation they simply spread all over the place. So that makes a mockery of "social distancing". There is no distance that is "safe".

Outdoors with wind and sun etc. these viruses are diluted rapidly and it is unlikely you could get a dose high enough before the UV destroyed them to get infected so again this idea of social distancing is a medical farce.

If he's not bright enough to use a search engine I doubt that he is bright enough to pass a driver's test as simple as they are.
Old May 11th 20, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/11/2020 2:25 PM, jbeattie wrote:

snip

What I'm saying is clear. The per-barrel price of oil is less than the cost of extracting it from oil shales/sands. But yes, storage capacity is limited. https://www.worldoil.com/news/2020/4...l-storage-firm Production is being cut. https://www.worldoil.com/news/2020/5...may-production Some wells are being shut-in, particularly in the shale patch. https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-G...Oil-Wells.html

Saudi Arabia, has lowest cost of production per barrel, about $3 per
barrel, plus about capital costs of $3.50 and transportation costs of
about $2.50, for a total of $9. U.S. shale oil costs about $19 per
barrel total to produce and transport. Tar sands oil, which is lower
quality, costs about $50 a barrel to product. When oil was $100 per
barrel tar sands oil made sense.

The Saudi's made it clear several years ago that they would price their
oil at a level that made tar sands a losing proposition.

"Never Get Involved in an Oil War With Saudi Arabia."
Old May 11th 20, 11:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 2:49:06 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 10:25:43 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:37:38 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Fracking has made natural gas about as low as it has ever been.

What I'm saying is clear. The per-barrel price of oil is less than the cost of extracting it from oil shales/sands. But yes, storage capacity is limited.

I've been saying for over over 50 years, since I was a student, that there is no oil shortage, there is merely a cartel latterly called OPEC artificially restricting oil output to keep prices high, on some totally untenable theory that oil is a limited commodity and the price should be artificially high to preserve the wealth of a few barbarian nations, and for the self-satisfaction of the deliberate economy-wreckers who call themselves environmentalists, who ae marxists by any other name. I have been proved right again.

Andre Jute
Hallelujah!

Carbo-hydrates are the most common complex molecules and plant have lived on this planet from very shortly after it was formed. It would be a real surprise to somehow have a shortage of oil and/or coal.
Old May 11th 20, 11:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 3:04:15 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
[...]

At one time the entire Sahara desert was a rain forest so I assume that there is oil for the drilling practically everywhere there is the proper rock formations.
Old May 11th 20, 11:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

On Mon, 11 May 2020 20:38:04 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone

[...]

Tom is a non sequitur :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 11th 20, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

wrote:

[...]

The great "Oil has a negative value" thing was specifically the
futures market and was, I think, specifically oil for delivery in May,
although I admit that I didn't look into it in great deal, and was
the result of low demand and limited storage space.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 12th 20, 01:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/11/2020 3:44 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

The great "Oil has a negative value" thing was specifically the
futures market and was, I think, specifically oil for delivery in May,
although I admit that I didn't look into it in great deal, and was
the result of low demand and limited storage space.

When oil is $100 a barrel on the spot market a BP, Shell, etc. refinery
is not paying anywhere close to that for oil from their own wells. When
BP purchased Arco, they both had extensive production facilities in
Prudhoe Bay Alaska and began to reduce production because they could not
refine and sell the amount of oil they were producing as Arco began
shutting down retail outlets.

We used to have four Arco station in my city. Now we have zero. Arco
didn't want to have low-volume franchises and they didn't want to
continue with company-owned locations. Arco does supply Costco in
southern California with gasoline while Shell supplies the Costco
gasoline in northern California.