State your opinion on COVID-19

Old May 12th 20, 08:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default State your opinion on COVID-19

On Mon, 11 May 2020 14:30:21 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:38:12 PM UTC-7, Ralph Barone wrote:
wrote:
On Sunday, May 10, 2020 at 8:41:14 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 10 May 2020 09:26:11 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

On Saturday, May 9, 2020 at 5:35:03 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 09 May 2020 13:34:54 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

On Friday, May 8, 2020 at 5:40:31 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 08 May 2020 17:01:39 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

I will ask you again Frank - are you suggesting that ANYONE
could deny American citizens entry into their own country?
Let's hear from you.

Yes. disease control is one acceptable measure.

You are and Aussy and your ideas do not match the American
Constitution.

Country has zip to do with it. The USA has denied their own
citizen entry one many occassions. You're just tool ignorant of
the facts.

You are a twerp. You couldn't even bother to actually look up the
things that I've said and instead yelped your ignorance about a
subject you are totally ignorant of. That appears to be the effects
of social media on people like you - you don't actually need to
know anything to have an opinion.

IME/IEE, it is complete waste of time looking anything up for you as
you repeatedly demonstrate.

I will ask you again - why are you involved in a US group? Are you
afraid that your Aussy friends would kick your ass over the fence if
you dared to attend their bicycle forums and display your ignorance
of everything?

Since when is this a US group?

Since the founder was an Ameican

Irrelevant and are you sure?.
Warning; The chasm in your usenet knowledge is showing.

Old May 12th 20, 08:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 11 May 2020 14:36:13 -0700, cyclintom wrote:

On Monday, May 11, 2020 at 1:57:03 PM UTC-7, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
On Saturday, 28 March 2020 12:01:47 UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
As usual, discussions here have devolved into childish name calling
by some, demeaning published facts and data, quick political jabs,
defensive changes of subjet, and "I know better than anyone"
allusions. Things get obscured.

So I'd like to get a direct answer, especially from Tom and from
Andrew.

Tom: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an ordinary
seasonal flu?

Andrew: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an ordinary
seasonal flu?

Of course, this is a discussion group. Others are very welcome to
give their opinion too.

BTW, our bike club now has its first member in intensive care on a
ventilator. I consider him a really good friend, one of the guys who
(almost) always came on my night rides. He's much younger than me and
has been a hell of a rider, a daily commuter, fast and high mileage.

COVID-19 is real and it is here like a plague. My mother-in-law is 98
and in a long-term, care facility. Eight people on her floor have died
in the last month. Despite the staff taking measure to isolate everyone
and maintain sterile procedures, she has now tested positive and is
facing death, though she does not likely know it, thanks to her
dementia. That's okay for her but not for her daughters. They have
grasped the nettle and made arrangements for her cremation. They will
have her ashes put in her favourite teapot and bury that.

The House of Commons is meeting off and on to the call of the Speaker
as the situation requires. The members have come to grips with the
restraints the public health emergency places on them and have adapted.
It has been interesting to assist in the establishment and testing of
procedures for a "virtual parliament."
--
Andrew Chaplin SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO

Andrew - what do you suppose would happen if a person infected with the
seasonal flu was introduced into the long term health care facility?

In the USA, the poor woukd die because they couldn't afford a flu jab.
In Australia, GovCo provdes free flu jabs to the eldery before the flu
season each year and if the are unlikely to suffer from the flum they
get free high quality medical support.
Old May 12th 20, 02:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/12/2020 2:29 AM, news18 wrote:
[...]

I understand your point but effectiveness of influenza
vaccine is between lackluster and miserable especially for
my age group:

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/2018-2019.html

12%~16% is better than nothing but hardly a binary "die
because they couldn't afford a flu jab."

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old May 12th 20, 04:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2020 12:29 AM, news18 wrote:

snip

In the USA, the poor woukd die because they couldn't afford a flu jab.

Depends on the state and county. Around here, anyone can get a free flu
shot if they have no health insurance or if their insurance doesn't
cover it. The government has a self-interest in preventing flu outbreaks.
Old May 12th 20, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/12/2020 12:22 AM, news18 wrote:

snip

This is not a US newsgroup. No where does US appears in the newsgroup
title.

It is so. It's in English, and everyone knows that the U.S. invented
English. Everyone knows that bicycles were invented in the U.S., even
though they were not.

Old May 12th 20, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 8:51:00 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2020 12:22 AM, news18 wrote:

snip

This is not a US newsgroup. No where does US appears in the newsgroup
title.

It is so. It's in English, and everyone knows that the U.S. invented
English. Everyone knows that bicycles were invented in the U.S., even
though they were not.

It would seem that if you wanted to comment on anything about this group you would know that it was founded by Sheldon Brown at Harris Cyclery in Massachusetts. But then comments around here generally don't come from people that know anything.
Old May 12th 20, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 5/12/2020 10:50 AM, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2020 12:22 AM, news18 wrote:

snip

This is not a US newsgroup. No where does US appears in
the newsgroup
title.

It is so. It's in English, and everyone knows that the U.S.
invented English. Everyone knows that bicycles were invented
in the U.S., even though they were not.

Texas Governor Miriam Amanda "Ma" Ferguson: "If the King's
English was good enough for Jesus Christ, it's good enough
for the children of Texas!"

Old May 12th 20, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:
On Tuesday, May 12, 2020 at 8:51:00 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/12/2020 12:22 AM, news18 wrote:

snip

This is not a US newsgroup. No where does US appears in the newsgroup
title.

It is so. It's in English, and everyone knows that the U.S. invented
English. Everyone knows that bicycles were invented in the U.S., even
though they were not.

It would seem that if you wanted to comment on anything about this group
you would know that it was founded by Sheldon Brown at Harris Cyclery in
Massachusetts. But then comments around here generally don't come from
people that know anything.

Some online digging pulled up the post in news.groups to reorganize the
hierarchy and create rec.bicycles.tech. The post was dated May 19, 1992 and
was written by Les Earnest. Bruce Hildenbrand was also mentioned as being
part of this movement. No mention of Sheldon Brown.

And here is the first post to the new group. Again, no mention of
Sheldon.

================ first post to r.b.tech =================

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
From: (Les Earnest)
Subject: Welcome to rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1992 05:23:49 GMT

I'm pleased to see that this group is alive and well.
In case you don't remember, here is the charter.

rec.bicycles.tech: Techniques of engineering, construction,
maintenance
and repair of bicycles and ancillary equipment. *Not for products or
services offered or wanted -- see rec.bicycles.marketplace.

--
Les Earnest * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Phone: *415 941-3984
Internet: * * * * * * *USMail: 12769 Dianne Drive

From: (Les Earnest)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1992 05:23:49 GMT

I'm pleased to see that this group is alive and well.
In case you don't remember, here is the charter.

rec.bicycles.tech: Techniques of engineering, construction,
maintenance
and repair of bicycles and ancillary equipment. Â*Not for products or
services offered or wanted -- see rec.bicycles.marketplace.

--
Les Earnest Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*Phone: Â*415 941-3984
Internet: Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â* Â*USMail: 12769 Dianne Drive

I'm pretty sure that the bicycle groups were started before that. Perhaps Les who I remember and Bruce Hildenbrand whom I also remember started the .tech group.

My mistake, digging back through everything this was entirely Les Earnest at Stanford University. I seem to remember riding with him and he was an older guy bent on promoting bicycling. I don't know what "older" was since I was 38 and extremely busy at the time.

Sheldon had his own group.

news18 - for the uninitiated, Stanford university is located in the USA. Only idiots want to interfere in the politics of another country from a position big-mouth know-nothing.

From: (Les Earnest)
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1992 05:23:49 GMT

I'm pleased to see that this group is alive and well.
In case you don't remember, here is the charter.

rec.bicycles.tech: Techniques of engineering, construction,
maintenance
and repair of bicycles and ancillary equipment. Not for products or
services offered or wanted -- see rec.bicycles.marketplace.

--
Les Earnest Phone: 415 941-3984
Internet: USMail: 12769 Dianne Drive
UUCP: . . . decwrl!cs.Stanford.edu!Les Los Altos Hills, CA
94022

Now there's a famous guy Bruce Hildebrand, a.k.a. Rok
Climber. Thanks.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Who or what can beat COVID-19? Move into your sauna! Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 19 March 22nd 20 10:06 PM
Riding in the Age of COVID-19. jbeattie Techniques 26 March 18th 20 10:20 PM
your opinion birkes Mountain Biking 3 June 9th 06 11:50 PM
Your opinion silverfridge Unicycling 7 January 21st 06 02:57 AM
Your opinion on this Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 3 August 29th 04 10:08 PM