State your opinion on COVID-19

Old May 14th 20, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default State your opinion on COVID-19

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 2:38:45 PM UTC-5, Sepp Ruf wrote:
wrote:

-snip-

True. My 2cents. My significan other is a vascular surgeon. C-19 ir real.

^^^
The isotope?
Oh no, I looked it up:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C19
Interesting typo, though.

Not a typo. I am also in the healthcare (oral) industry and that's what we call it.

(Hey Frank, see how everyone should just have stuck with the Woo-hen virus
designation that cannot be confused with either a beer or a plane?)

She's had two patients die from C-19.

What did the patients get during early stages:

Azithromycin?
Heparin?
Hydrochloroquine?
Vitamins?
Zinc?
other?

(Unfortunately, Frank and Andrew Ch. never cared to tell us about drugs
administered.)

What did they get? Sick. Then they caught the death.
I don't know what the patients got during the early stages. Perhaps a lollipop if they were good. And a sticker that says "you're a star!"

All her patients have tested
positive. Luckily for us, she's tested negative.

To be positive, she'll just have to try those Chinese test kits the
President of Tanzania reported on.

No. It was an antibody test. Made in Uruguay, and sold via black market under the table through a weapons dealer from Nepal. Then shipped (hidden in chicken crates) in an airplane flown by Rambo, with a potato wearing aviator sunglasses as a copilot.

We ride bicycles.

Marvelous! Ever tried the C1.9?
https://pinion.eu/en/c-line/c1-9xr-gearbox/

Have you?
No, I don't use e-bikes, and I use barcons on my bikes.

--
https://youtu.be/Y_U1Zj0VQac?t=14s
Bill Gates is loving every second of this

Is he loving every second with the device you are using to type your response?

I don't get your Bill Gates reference. Everyone reacts differently.

Old May 14th 20, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 11:01:47 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
As usual, discussions here have devolved into childish name calling by
some, demeaning published facts and data, quick political jabs,
defensive changes of subjet, and "I know better than anyone" allusions.
Things get obscured.

So I'd like to get a direct answer, especially from Tom and from Andrew.

Tom: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an ordinary seasonal flu?

Andrew: Do you really think COVID-19 is no worse than an ordinary
seasonal flu?

Of course, this is a discussion group. Others are very welcome to give
their opinion too.

BTW, our bike club now has its first member in intensive care on a
ventilator. I consider him a really good friend, one of the guys who
(almost) always came on my night rides. He's much younger than me and
has been a hell of a rider, a daily commuter, fast and high mileage.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Single speed bikes are awesome. Many travelers are unhappy. Cruise ships are cesspools of aaaaameobas and germs. Online outrage. Wear a mask, don't be a turd.
Old May 14th 20, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/14/2020 5:43 AM, wrote:
[...]

There are some good things coming out of Covid-19 that may have some
long-term staying power. More people on bicycles. The end of the
mega-cruise ships. The end of the Trump presidency. The end of buffets.

More thought about protecting others when you're sick. The U.S. is doing
very poorly in flattening the curve, thanks to Trump, but that problem
will hopefully be over next January.
https://www.endcoronavirus.org/countries?fbclid=IwAR0013xxTB_7bFcOxI0oTJtx5qBnxP4 _7KXYLXlhOUjSk38SwxV2bvo8VSI

Old May 14th 20, 02:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 7:53:38 AM UTC-5, sms wrote:
On 5/14/2020 5:17 AM, wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 5:23:02 AM UTC+2, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:56:48 PM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/13/2020 8:45 AM,
wrote:

Can we talk about bicycles in rec.bicycles.tech?

Choose from the following topics:

a) Helmet conspiracy
b) Dynamo lights versus battery powered lights
c) Chain cleaning and lubrication

Don't get me going on battery powered helmet lights. Gads, those are blinding on a MUP/cycletrack -- right at eye level. I'd like to whack those people with a waxy chain. And its always the guys with like six lights, and they're always in places where you could get by with no light at all.

-- Jay Beattie.

+1 what a f*cking idiots. Once one of those idiots stopped me and asked for directions. I told him he could get lost. I was lost myself for half a minute.

I never understood the appeal of helmet mounted lights. Supposedly for
mountain biking in the wilderness they have advantages, but for on the
road they seem to be inconvenient and annoying.

For mountain biking, yes. Perfection. 24 hour races up in Wausau, WI - or general trail or gravel riding in the boonies, yes... one on the helmet and one on the handlebar. It's good to see where one is looking.

For Chicago / city riding - there are plenty of street lights. A handlebar mounted light is more than enough.
Old May 14th 20, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 9:26:42 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 10:57:24 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 8:45:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
[...]

Ernest, this is, after all, a labeled discussion. But you're quite correct. We should be talking about bicycles.tech but no one appears to be interested in that.

I write a piece about something related to bicycles and technical aspects and they immediately use that as a jumping off point for political discussions.

True. My 2cents. My significan other is a vascular surgeon. C-19 ir real. She's had two patients die from C-19. All her patients have tested positive. Luckily for us, she's tested negative.

We ride bicycles.

The grandmother of one of my wife's "church ladies" is 101, tests positive and has no symptoms. This implies that the disease isn't the problem but the immune system response. I have been looking at prospective studies and I cannot see any that are looking at human response rather than covid-19 as some sort of boogeyman.

One of the medical Universities just released a study saying that hydroxychloroquine and zinc plus an antibiotic to prevent secondary lung infections significantly reduced the severity and length of illness. This was also the case with the French study.

I do not believe that using an anti-viral drug is a good practice except in extreme cases.
Old May 14th 20, 03:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 11:24:39 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.05.2020 um 17:13 schrieb :
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 7:34:57 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.05.2020 um 16:01 schrieb
:

And yet today the figures for covid-19 deaths are so overblown
that they are meaningless. Most of the people that have died have
had such serious preexisting conditions that they were not
expected to live out the year.

I have repeatedly linked the paper that determined the average
"lifetime lost" on Italian COVID fatalities was 10 years, not
"significantly less than one year".

The statistics appear to have changed a little since we were using
European data. Now, in the USA, the average age of death from
covid-19 is 75. The average age of death for all other reasons is 80.
So while your European figures may be different here it is 5 years
lost on the average.

That you completely fail to understand is the difference between
"Average life expectancy at birth" and "expected remaining lifetime at a
certain age".

Even if the average life expectance at birth is 80 years, this does not
mean that anybody who is over 80 today is expected to die immediately.
By surviving their 80th birthday, these people have already proven that
they are healthier than average, so even somebody of age 80 has an
expected remaining lifetime of around 10 years.

Wait a second. Are you seriously proposing that the group of Lombardy
80-y.o.'s dying with the Wuhan flu in 2020, had, the same expected remaining
lifetime last year as the group of their 80-y.o.'s peers not dying now?

Sepp, average is average and not specific. Moreover, the statistics from the CDC are now completely and totally useless. Just last night the CDC admitted to marking people killed in a gunfight as covid-19 deaths. It is likely that the real deaths from covid-19 are half of the CDC number. Apparently hospitals can get financial aid if they are treating covid-19 patients so they are marking literally anything as a covid-19 death. This is pretty scary. The CDC should be closed down completely and the statistics should be subcontracted out to universities that are less likely to be carrying out some sort of political garbage.

I expect the death rates in Europe to look a lot lower than in the US due to this sort of power grabbing. Or do you have the same sorts of problems there?
Old May 14th 20, 03:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 2:20:32 AM UTC-7, Sepp Ruf wrote:
Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 13.05.2020 um 16:01 schrieb :

And yet today the figures for covid-19 deaths are so overblown that
they are meaningless. Most of the people that have died have had such
serious preexisting conditions that they were not expected to live
out the year.

I have repeatedly linked the paper that determined the average "lifetime
lost" on Italian COVID fatalities was 10 years, not "significantly less
than one year".

No, Ralf, according two two different newsservers, you did not. Maybe
somewhere else, maybe in your head, but apparently not on rbt. There is a
85 percent chance you get your news from the commie-usurped Telepolis
magazine, though, so might be refering to Roetzer's article linking to these:

https://wellcomeopenresearch.org/articles/5-75/v1
https://avalonecon.com/wp-content/up...9-QALYs-v3.pdf

Next time, Rolf, bring your own tea leaves, will you?

You do realize that mechanical ventilation used as anything other than a last resort is essentially a death sentence don't you? Rather than ventilate hospitals are now simply rolling patients over on their sides or stomachs which eases the ability to breath without the weight of the body organs on the diaphragm.

Who or what can beat COVID-19? Move into your sauna! Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 19 March 22nd 20 10:06 PM
Riding in the Age of COVID-19. jbeattie Techniques 26 March 18th 20 10:20 PM
your opinion birkes Mountain Biking 3 June 9th 06 11:50 PM
Your opinion silverfridge Unicycling 7 January 21st 06 02:57 AM
Your opinion on this Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 3 August 29th 04 10:08 PM