State your opinion on COVID-19

Old May 15th 20, 02:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Gravel bikes

On Thu, 14 May 2020 21:25:57 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 5/14/2020 8:43 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 14 May 2020 16:44:15 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

Whatever would you and Frank do for entertainment if you didn't have poor Tom to reply to or lead on?

LOL and cheers

Probably have to take on those Canadian's that ride around on unpaved
paths out there in the woods :-)

Don't you people realize that back in prehistoric times, the late
1890's and early 1900's bicyclists were frothing at the mouth, jumping
down and screaming that they just had to have smooth roads.... and now
they've got them why do y'all run about out there in the bushes?

I've wondered about that when thinking about the popularity of mountain
bikes and now, gravel bikes.

I'm not sure. All, or at least 99% of the bikes I see in the Super
Market are "Mountain Bikes" and I see a lot of them on the roads. Not,
of course, ridden be those with bright jerseys, special shoes and
tight black shorts. Just regular folks. Getting to work, going to the
market, and other normal pastimes.

I've never been quite sure what a "gravel bike" is/was. I envision it
as a 26" - 27" wheel bicycle with fat tires... sort of like we used to
ride. You know, like https://tinyurl.com/ycpdxmss

To each his own, I guess. I'm not shy about riding gravel or dirt when
it looks interesting or convenient, like a short cut. But I find it _so_
much more pleasant to ride on decent paved surfaces. In particular,
mountain biking just beats me up.

Admittedly, I'm blessed by a dense network of fairly quiet country
roads. I suppose if a person's in a place where most paved roads are
very busy _and_ there's a network of quiet gravel roads, they might
prefer to avoid asphalt.

But I do think many "no asphalt" people are just afraid of all motor
vehicle traffic.

(Not Sir, of course. He's described his mid-city commuting.)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 15th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

Where I live now there are lots of dirt/gravel roads as well as paved roads.. With my converted MTB (with dropbar and aero brake levers and bar-end shifters) with 26" x 2.125" or 2.5" knobby tires I can do a lot of exploring and am able to turn off onto a dirt road or a gravel road or a very narrow trail through the woods, whenever the whim strikes me. I've found some wonderful scenery being able to do that. Plus the traffic on those dirt roads is often next to non-existent. Many times I've ridden on a dirt or gravel road for over an hour and not seen a vehicle.

Cheers
Old May 15th 20, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default State your opinion on COVID-19

On Thu, 14 May 2020 18:45:43 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 6:27:59 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 5/14/2020 9:12 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 2:00:14 PM UTC-7, wrote:
snip

Picked up my Trek Emonda from the shop. Since it was sprinkling I have had a chance to test ride it.

What bearings did they install? 37mm? 37.1mm? Retaining compound?

Sprinkling. Pfff. You can always wipe it off.

I haven't ridden in the rain since... let's see, about 11 AM.

Not that I prefer it, mind you.

--
- Frank Krygowski

I did a lunch ride yesterday with my neighbor/best biking buddy who is positively crushing me this year, so bicycle selection is important. If he brings his Pinarello, I'm totally doomed on my somewhat tubby fendered Cannondale Synapse. I stood there in my garage, looking out at gray skies wondering if it was going to rain -- Emonda . . . Synapse, Emonda . . . Synapse. I took the Emonda and wore shorts and a Castelli Gabba short sleeve jersey and no shoe covers. It's like being optimistic, but not overly optimistic hedging with the Gabba jersey. He took his Pinarello. I still got throttled, but less so -- and the skies opened up just as I was getting home. Woo hoo. I totally understand not wanting to get the nice bike too wet.

-- Jay Beattie.

Two bicycles? Only two? Whatever will the neighbors think?
(But perhaps if you keep the garage doors closed they won't notice.)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 15th 20, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

The last few years, the majority of my cycling vacations have been on
gravel (not that I was trying to be trendy - it just happened that way),
and while I saw some lovely scenery and got to ride beside my friend so
that we could converse better without fear of being taken out from behind,
I was thinking that we could have covered more ground if the damn trail had
been paved.

PS: My “gravel bike” was my touring bike, with wider tires fitted.

Old May 15th 20, 07:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

I think that it has nothing to do with fear off motor vehicle traffic. Gravel roads are most of the time more quiet and the scenery is more pleasant. Some people like that. Strange huh.

Lou
Old May 15th 20, 12:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 4:00:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 9:16:24 AM UTC-7, wrote:
On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 11:02:31 AM UTC-5, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 14.05.2020 um 17:35 schrieb AMuzi:
On 5/14/2020 9:22 AM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 9:26:42 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 10:57:24 AM UTC-5,
wrote:
On Wednesday, May 13, 2020 at 8:45:35 AM UTC-7,
wrote:
On Saturday, March 28, 2020 at 11:01:47 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

The grandmother of one of my wife's "church ladies" is 101, tests
positive and has no symptoms. This implies that the disease isn't the
problem but the immune system response. I have been looking at
prospective studies and I cannot see any that are looking at human
response rather than covid-19 as some sort of boogeyman.

One of the medical Universities just released a study saying that
hydroxychloroquine and zinc plus an antibiotic to prevent secondary
lung infections significantly reduced the severity and length of
illness. This was also the case with the French study.

I do not believe that using an anti-viral drug is a good practice
except in extreme cases.

I don't know that either, some research indicates yes, some ineffective.
There are a very wide range of antivirals now so that's not surprising.

Meanwhile:
https://www.barrons.com/news/zinc-hy...147f181987fd93

As I noted here weeks ago when I first read it, some people react
violently to this virus and for some of that subset of infected humans,
hydroxycholroquine can buy time (where death is otherwise minutes or
hours away) while the subject's immune system and/or other therapies may
work against the actual infection.

https://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-pers...evere-covid-19

It looks like hydroxycholroquine gives more harm than benefit, which is
why it is often more meaningful to test a few hundred patients first
before rolling out a tretment to the millions.

Being in the medical industry, hydroxycholroquine is hard to pronounce. Also, hydroxycholroquine is not known to cause gingivitis, but it is known to be boasted as a cure, you know, light, injecting disinfectant on a miracle, that some day we'll have it contained and under control. But it is a hoax from the antivaxxers, and if the earth is flat, where does the Sun go at night? or is it a new Sun every day?

Vaccines only cause ADULTS.

5G is better than dial-up AOL.

I suppose that the media would far prefer dead people than Trump be right, https://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiep...quine-n2566409

You'd think that the Lame Stream Media would just use a gun but apparently they prefer to use lies. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...-patients.html

Trump was speaking about using UV light to disinfect surfaces that could be contaminated with the Wuhan virus. That business about injecting disinfectant was shouted from off camera and Trump repeated it with a question mark. The way it was picked up it was pretty clear that it was a reporter who said that and it was nothing more than a trap.

https://www.dailywire.com/news/fact-...r-drink-bleach

Picked up my Trek Emonda from the shop. Since it was sprinkling I have had a chance to test ride it.

Riiiiiight

https://imgur.com/gallery/YSv4Eb7

He's the King of Fools.

Old May 15th 20, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Axel Reichert

Frank Krygowski writes:

I'm not shy about riding gravel or dirt when it looks interesting or
convenient, like a short cut.

Yes. Having converted from a pure racer to a randonneur bike 5 years
back, I certainly do not ride gravel for gravel's sake. There has to be
a benefit, probably in this order:

1. Better scenery
2. Less traffic
3. More climbing
4. Smaller distance

But I find it _so_ much more pleasant to ride on decent paved
surfaces.

Yes. There is a 130 km ring road around Munich (mostly for tourists,
family rides with kids, ...) which is unpaved for about 1/3 of the
distance. When I rode this once, I found that I needed considerably
longer than for my 150 km tour around Munich on (paved) small roads.
This 130 km version is less beautiful (because it is closer to the city
and more frequently touches the outskirts), much louder (because of the
noise coming from the gravel), slower and results in a dirtier bike.
Pointless, in my opinion.

In particular, mountain biking just beats me up.

Yes. For me, cycling is also meditation in motion. This is severely
hampered by having to push or haul the bike over an Alpine pass. I have
climbed almost all of the big (paved) road passes in the Alps, and guess
what? They are frequently way higher (and thus more beautiful in most
cases) than the unpaved passes THAT CAN BE RIDDEN by MTBs.

Many of the classic Transalp routes have a surprisingly high amount of
pavement (why the MTB?) and pushing to the point that it is more like
hiking with a bike (why the MTB?).

In contrast, on the big road passes you can sometimes with a
gravel/randonneur bike use the old unpaved road uphill and then speed
downhill on pavement. Best of both worlds.

MTB have a reason to exist, though, and that is down-hilling single
track roads, something with too much adrenaline for my meditative taste.

Admittedly, I'm blessed by a dense network of fairly quiet country
roads. I suppose if a person's in a place where most paved roads are
very busy _and_ there's a network of quiet gravel roads, they might
prefer to avoid asphalt.

Yes. Around Munich there is also a dense network of small paved
roads. Closer to the Alps the valleys are busy and the forest roads
agreeable. Hence my gravel fraction is at most 10 % in my surroundings,
but typically 15 % during weekend rides.

Overall, I am extremely happy with the freedom granted by my "universal
weapon". And it shows in numbers, too: My yearly mileage has increased
by 50 %.

Best regards

Axel
--
-X- | in memoriam John Conway
--X | 1937-2020
Old May 15th 20, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

wrote:

[...]

I have four bikes in the garage and my old track bike in the basement. And yes, I'm barely keeping up with some of my neighbors.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old May 15th 20, 03:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Sorry to leave actual bicycle data for the dread Wuhan Virus
[header title] but here's another tragic chinese virus death:

https://www.9news.com/article/news/i...9-7e50cedf2272

The tragedy is the sad demise of scientific method, done in
by political manipulation of statistics. This is but one
of many, such that whatever numbers you've seen are
substantially fiction.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Who or what can beat COVID-19? Move into your sauna! Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 19 March 22nd 20 10:06 PM
Riding in the Age of COVID-19. jbeattie Techniques 26 March 18th 20 10:20 PM
your opinion birkes Mountain Biking 3 June 9th 06 11:50 PM
Your opinion silverfridge Unicycling 7 January 21st 06 02:57 AM
Your opinion on this Micheal Artindale Mountain Biking 3 August 29th 04 10:08 PM