So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

Old June 1st 20, 04:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default So much fr a growth in bicycle riding from the pandemic.

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 5:46:24 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 12:15:56 +0700, John B. wrote:

On Sun, 31 May 2020 03:36:43 -0000 (UTC), news18
wrote:

As I said, it is your attitude that is the problem and your inability is
clearly demonstrated above.

Right, my attitude.That strange belief that what is mine is mine to do
with as I wish.

no problem there, but by the same reasoning,

While you, being the superior individual that you so obviously are,
have the God given right to tell others what they should do with their
property.

Unlike you I didn't tell anyone, but may a suggestion for what I see as
more desireable for the advancement of "bums on bicyce seats"

Your arrogance is positively amazing.

Yes, I have the same rights to my opinion as they do to their decision on
disposal. Given that Uber is just another greedy coporate parasite, I
have no shame in my opinion. You really should get over it.

Of all people to use the term "parasite" you have to be the funniest. You are a tick on the body public. You do not nor have you ever pulled your own weight. And then to called people who actually provide not just a needed service but one that even supplies what the environmentalists have asked for - less personal auto use - makes you just about the lowest layer on the parasite ladder.
Old June 1st 20, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 6:39:27 PM UTC-7, news18 wrote:
On Mon, 01 Jun 2020 08:13:46 +0700, John B. wrote:

Yes, I have the same rights to my opinion as they do to their decision
on disposal. Given that Uber is just another greedy coporate parasite, I
have no shame in my opinion. You really should get over it.

Greedy coporate parasite? You mean sort of like, oh say, Wesfarmers in
Perth, that employ 217,000 Australians? Or maybe Woolworths Group that
employ 201,522 ?

Without all those "greedy coporate parasites" there would't be any jobs.

Lol, another wikipedia moment with a factoid spew?
Perhaps you should dig deeper into these companies and their corporate
actions. hint, they have put more people out of work then they currently
employ. They have done this by repeatedly entering a market, undercutting
the competition until if goes broke. People loose choice ad jobs.

You really should get over your propensity to thuggery as acceptable.

Tell us all about these people put out of business by these larger corporations who supplied equal services. You name calling little punks who are capable of nothing but imagining that the world is against you are laughable.
Old June 1st 20, 04:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:15:48 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 22:19:45 -0700 (PDT), Sir Ridesalot
wrote:

On Monday, 1 June 2020 00:28:47 UTC-4, John B. wrote:
On Sun, 31 May 2020 18:49:33 -0700 (PDT), Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 6:55:57 PM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

Actually Frank, I wasn't advocating anything. I was arguing that an
entity has the right to do what it wishes with it's own property.
Are you arguing that one doesn't?

Nope. As I said, a person generally has the right to do what one likes
with his property, assuming it doesn't harm others. But still, some
things a person might choose to do are, well, stupid. That person
shouldn't be surprised if other people mention that stupidity.

Just as one must certainly be a bit off to spend, oh say, $3,000 on a
bicycle.... and ride it in the rain?

Many would say that's stupid. Others would disagree. That disagreement
could lead to rational discussion, from which various people might
learn a thing or two. If only we could find a discussion group where
such things could be discussed!

- Frank Krygowski

Well, given that it is (still I hope) a democracy we need to take a
vote. Question? Riding a $3,000 bicycle in the rain is just plain
silly.

You care to estimate percentages pro and con if we go to any large
population center and ask the first 100 people that walk down the
street?
--
cheers,

John B.

Back in 1985 or 1986 I bought a brand new Columbus SL racing bicycle with a complete Dura Ace Indexed groupset. At that time the bike cost $1,500,00 CDN That's $3,192.00CDN today. Many times I had to ride that bike home from work in the rain.

For some people (not me) a $3,000.00+ bike is not that expensive and thus they might treat it as we'd treat a beater bike.

For others a $3,000.00+ bike might be the ONLY bike they own and thus will ride it in the rain too.

Cheers

Look at the TREK site. $3,000 is chicken feed when it comes to
bicycles.
How about the "Checkpoint SL" Described as " an adventure-hungry
carbon gravel bike that can help you crush the toughest, longest
rides". Selling for only $5,999.99, a pittance for a bike of this
nature.

You seem to be shocked by the price of bikes. My shock level doesn't start until five figures, and there are a lot of five-figure bikes, believe it or not. My son loves to quote OTC prices on top-end eBikes just to test my shock level. https://tinyurl.com/y7gorhu7

The Checkpoint is actually a good value bike for what you get -- not bargain basement, but Trek has some nice offerings that you can get on annual discounts. I wouldn't buy the high-end 1X because I spend too much time on the pavement getting to gravel, and 1X would drive me nuts.

I got my gravel bike for almost half-price from Western Bikeworks -- which has closed its showroom and gone entirely on line. That was a shame, although it thankfully dodged the whole COVID-19 debacle which might put it in a position to reopen another bricks and mortar store.

Speaking of COVID-19 and bikes, my best biking buddy just bought a new component group for his 12 year old CF Pinarello (pro deal direct from Campagnolo) and needed some new HS and BB bearings to finish the build. He didn't want to internet order, so he went down and stood in line outside of River City bikes. All the shops have you wait outside. He says it takes a half an hour to buy a tube because of the lines.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old June 1st 20, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

wrote:

[...]

I've often wondered what happens with an E-bike when it needs a new battery.. Are the batteries proprietary like so many bicycle stuff seems to be these days?

Or is the battery so expensive you might as well buy a new E-bike?

Cheers
Old June 1st 20, 05:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

A bike best suitable to ride in the rain can be expensive so it would be
silly not to ride it in the rain.

Lou

What would make a bike unsuitable to ride in the rain? Someone once told
me after we were caught in a storm that I should get a beater bike to ride
in bad weather. Why? My Tarmac dries off ok. AFAICT it’s only the rider
that is worst for wear under those conditions. Life’s too short for cheap
coffee, bad beer and beater bikes.

Old June 1st 20, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Absolutely and of course.

Now that you understand the concept, you're well on your way
to a career in product management

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old June 1st 20, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, May 31, 2020 at 4:30:30 PM UTC+1, Tosspot wrote:

I'm stepping out here, but...do you actually *own* the money? I thought
it was always the property of the issuing authority.

Exactly. That's also the rationale for punishing you if you deface or destroy the Treasury's money.

Along the same lines of royal prerogative, all the swans in the United Kingdom are Her Majesty's swans and harming one of them can still get you incarcerated in the Tower of London.

Andre Jute
A fount of really useful knowledge
Old June 1st 20, 08:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

Good question. A bad weather bike is certainly not the same as a beater. I never understood that and you are right that life is too short for that. The weather is not that great and then you go ride a ****ty bike on top of that. A bad weather bike is not the same for everyone but for me no parts corrode or rust, brakes well, low maintenance, easy to clean, looks good and rides well. My bad weather bike will be the most expensive one. YMMV.
Old June 1st 20, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, June 1, 2020 at 12:09:50 PM UTC-7, wrote:

Good question. A bad weather bike is certainly not the same as a beater. I never understood that and you are right that life is too short for that. The weather is not that great and then you go ride a ****ty bike on top of that. A bad weather bike is not the same for everyone but for me no parts corrode or rust, brakes well, low maintenance, easy to clean, looks good and rides well. My bad weather bike will be the most expensive one. YMMV.

Every time I've tried to ride in questionable weather reports, it has ended up raining on me and usually I will run over glass invisible under the water on the road. And this invariably lubricates the glass in such a manner that it destroys the tire as well as giving me an unrepairable flat in the middle of nowhere.

So I simply don't ride in those conditions. Of course I'm retired and don't have to put up with that.
Old June 1st 20, 08:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sepp Ruf

jbeattie wrote:

I got my gravel bike for almost half-price from Western Bikeworks --
which has closed its showroom and gone entirely on line. That was a
shame, although it thankfully dodged the whole COVID-19 debacle which
might put it in a position to reopen another bricks and mortar store.

Speaking of COVID-19 and bikes, my best biking buddy just bought a new
component group for his 12 year old CF Pinarello (pro deal direct from
Campagnolo) and needed some new HS and BB bearings to finish the build.
He didn't want to internet order, so he went down and stood in line
outside of River City bikes. All the shops have you wait outside. He
says it takes a half an hour to buy a tube because of the lines.

That's crazy, even an ambulance driver could fix a punctured (bicycle) tube
in under half an hour!

Come on, you know what these people are up to. The "tube" customers will
bicycle to participate in rioting and looting. Riding through the resultant
debris, they know from experience they'll need spare tubes to get away.
https://youtu.be/BRUQQd8_KuA?t=180

While the ball bearings buyers ... probably will just build bombs like your
fellow lawyers:
https://nypost.com/2020/06/01/molotov-cocktail-tossing-lawyers-tried-to-pass-out-explosives-cops/