Bottom Bracket -4- Record Crankset

Old July 15th 03, 06:55 PM
James Thomson

Default Bottom Bracket -4- Record Crankset

"Giwi" wrote:

*?* How can I ascertain whether it is a new or old Campy Record
crankset?

Campagnolo Record 172.5
Made in Italy
10 Speed
C10 53/39 E
Brev. Campagnolo is stamped on both chainrings.

That's a new (current model) crank. You need a current Record or Chorus
bottom bracket with a 102mm axle.

James Thomson

Old July 16th 03, 01:07 AM
Giwi

Thanks for the info - first person to help me (and I even called Campy USA)...

*How* did you know it was new and not old, though? Might help me in the future.

=

Old July 16th 03, 01:37 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

garen- I have a Campagnolo Record crankset (a double) that I would like to
use on a new bicycle, but I do not have the original bottom bracket.
I have been told that if it's an older Campy crankset it will probably
work with any "standard" spindle/BB from Tange or Shimano, BRBR
but that if
it's "newer" then it might require Campy specific parts. I suppose
this has something to do with spindle taper. BRBR

If the crank says 'Campagnolo' and 'Record ' with the size on the arm outside,
it needs a Campagnolo 102mm BB..If it just has a shield logo, then it needs a
Campagnolo 111mm BB.

Campagnolo Record 172.5
Made in Italy
10 Speed
C10 53/39 BRBR

Ya need a Chorus or Record BB in 102mm length.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old July 16th 03, 05:31 PM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Giwi wrote:
Thanks for the info - first person to help me (and I even called Campy USA)...

*How* did you know it was new and not old, though?

The most obvious -

1. 10-speed is new by definition
2. Old Record cranks can't take a 39 tooth ring.

--Paul

Might help me in the future.

=

Old July 17th 03, 10:31 AM
James Thomson

"Paul Southworth" wrote:

2. Old Record cranks can't take a 39 tooth ring.

A quibble: Corsa-Record cranks used a 135mm bcd (and would therefore accept
a 39t ring) but required a 111mm bottom bracket.

James Thomson