Reckless, Aggressive Drivers: Homegrown Terrorists

Old February 23rd 08, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default Reckless, Aggressive Drivers: Homegrown Terrorists

Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
"Tom Sherman" wrote in message
Jack May wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

All that is needed is adding microphones and cameras to the transponders -
then the government can achieve the long awaited goal of regulating
behavior of people in their homes behind closed doors.

You mean like with present cell phones and WiFi which is much more powerful
than is being planned for car to car communication over a short range of
hundreds of feet.

You have to come to grips with the fact that you are probably far too
ordinary for the Government to care about anything you do.

The fundies are drooling over a chance to enforce their sexual mores on
everyone else.

Old February 23rd 08, 03:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Bolwerk

Default when 70% of drivers are banned from the road

On Feb 21, 7:37 am, Bolwerk wrote:
Martin Edwards wrote:
Jack May wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

Sorry, but we are trying to develop alternatives (bikes, public

transportation) for the moment when 70% of drivers are banned from the
road...

Wow what are really stupid goal. The public wants nothing to do with
using bikes, public transportation, or any other alternative. All of
those alternative are total failures with zero chance of replacing
cars. Cars will be here long after you are dead. They will just
being using alternative fuels instead of oil.[...]

Too bad we are stuck with inferior people that prefer motor vehicles to
bicycles.

Heh. Tom Sherman = Bizzaro Jack May?
Old February 23rd 08, 04:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pat

Default What is gross negligence?

On Feb 22, 5:51*pm, donquijote1954
wrote:
On Feb 22, 12:10*pm, Pat wrote:

- talking on a hand-held or hands-free phone, watching TV, reading a
newspaper, or operating a laptop computer while driving [!]

Cell phones often make it safer to drive. *Except for hands-free cell
phones, all of the list is currently illegal. *So what's you point.

It's not illegal in most of the country. Again, you generalize by
where you live.

- driving more than 14mph over the speed limit

- driving more than 9mph over the speed limit AND engaging in anyone
of the following behaviors: taigating, attempting to pass another
vehicle that is already traveling at the speed limit [?]*, running a
solid red light, or running a stop sign

I have no problem with enforcement. *However, you're going to have to
get the troopers to stop passing people. *Have fun with that one.

Everybody runs red lights where I live, except in the boondocks, of
course, where's no red lights. In the Florida Keys they don't have
much of a problem either. That's also the boondocks.

- hit and run, etc...

* I don't think anyone should play vigilante. Besides we can put speed
cameras that do the job better, with less road rage.

I'd add my own:

- zigzagging around cars

currently illegal. *As is lane-sharing in all states except CA.

They always zigzag where I live. And I guess it's the same for most of
the country. I read So. Carolina is the worst.

- driving too slow (15mph under the limit)

min speed on an expressway is 45mph in most states.

Besides, a law like that is unenforceable: bad weather, turning,
stopping, agricultural, spec-com, scooters, bicycles and others often
mean slower speeds. *"Oh, I can't stop for the bus with the red lights
on because I have to slow down for that".

When you see that happening all the time. You can predict with 90%
accuracy they are on the phone. Or sometimes elder people. Time to
retire, you know.

- installing equipment that imperil other people, such as macho
bumpers

illegal.

Here's the problem that will haunt you and give you ulcers forever.
All of the things you dislike are already illegal. *So you're problem
isn't with the law, its with the cops. *So how is changing the law
going to do anything?- Hide quoted text -

50% is changing the law, and 50% is enforcing it. But if you put
cameras around, the cops (and lawyers) may become redundant.

I think a better solution is to just move to the boondocks. We ain't
got those problems. We once had a school bus drive complain that
someone went past the bus' red lights 2 days in a row. On the third
day, and unmarked cop car tailed the bus. No problems since then.
That's about our level of excitement around here. You should try it
some time. Wonderful way to live. No crowds. No conjestion. Low
prices. Everything I want is nearby. You can't beat that.

Oh, and my son's school has about 640 kids in it. No, not the grade.
No, not the building. That's for the entire school district -- grades
K to 12.
Old February 23rd 08, 04:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default our presidential campaign

Pat ??? wrote:
Since I am on a rant, one more pet peeve. Whoever it is who keeps
saying they ride a scooter and therefore such-and-such. It's a real
problem to consider yourself as riding a scooter. You're riding a
motorcycle. Get it, a motorcycle. It's legal no different than a
Harley or crotch-rocket (at least in the state's I am familiar with).
If it's got a motor and two (or three) wheels and a license plate then
it's a motorcycle....

In Wisconsin, a motorcycle endorsement is not needed for scooters with
less than 50cc displacement and a top speed of less than 30 mph.

In Illinois, there is a Class L endorsement for "Motor Driven Cycles" of
less than 150cc displacement, and Class M for "Motorcycles" with a 150cc
or more displacement.

Old February 23rd 08, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Bolwerk wrote:

Martin Edwards wrote:
Jack May wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message

Sorry, but we are trying to develop alternatives (bikes, public
transportation) for the moment when 70% of drivers are banned from the
road...

Wow what are really stupid goal. The public wants nothing to do
with using bikes, public transportation, or any other alternative.
All of those alternative are total failures with zero chance of
replacing cars. Cars will be here long after you are dead. They
will just being using alternative fuels instead of oil.[...]

Too bad we are stuck with inferior people that prefer motor vehicles
to bicycles.

Heh. Tom Sherman = Bizzaro Jack May?

I Ride Bike, Therefore I Am.

Old February 23rd 08, 04:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Jack May wrote:
"donquijote1954" wrote in message
On Feb 21, 12:57 am, Miles Bader wrote:
Tom Sherman writes:

In Jack's Utopia new tecknologies won't pollute and big SUVs won't
kill people. Always up in the future. Just like communism. Big dreams
and dreary reality.

Your stupidity is running rampant again. The alternative transportation
modes also pollute and kill people.

Yep, cyclists kill a lot of innocent people. Sheesh!

Old February 23rd 08, 01:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

wrote:

On Feb 22, 12:10*pm, Pat wrote:

[...]

K to 12.- Hide quoted text -

If everybody moved to the boondocks, however, it would become just
another suburban sprawl, which is the cause of our dependency on cars.
Oh, for sure you will get those trying to beat the ligth everyday on
their way to work.
Old February 23rd 08, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Pat

On Feb 22, 11:29*pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat ??? wrote:
Since I am on a rant, one more pet peeve. *Whoever it is who keeps
saying they ride a scooter and therefore such-and-such. *It's a real
problem to consider yourself as riding a scooter. *You're riding a
motorcycle. *Get it, a motorcycle. *It's legal no different than a
Harley or crotch-rocket (at least in the state's I am familiar with).
If it's got a motor and two (or three) wheels and a license plate then
it's a motorcycle....

In Wisconsin, a motorcycle endorsement is not needed for scooters with
less than 50cc displacement and a top speed of less than 30 mph.

In Illinois, there is a Class L endorsement for "Motor Driven Cycles" of
less than 150cc displacement, and Class M for "Motorcycles" with a 150cc
or more displacement.

If you're under 50cc and under 30mph, that would explain why you feel
unsafe. You are. You don't have enough weight for stability. You
don't have enough engine for safety. You don't have enough motor to
accelerate with the traffic (although there are some 2-strokes that
are pretty torquee).

For under 150cc, you're right. That's basically a bicycle with a
motor on the road. Still probably not safe on a road. That's why
they are used mostly for MX and such.

Go get a little 250cc. They are pretty nice little things. Plus they
have enough motor to get you out of trouble. At about 25 mph and
above, if you get into turning trouble, you have to accelerate to get
yourself out of trouble -- so you need to have enough engine to do
that or you will high-bar. That's not a lot of fun.

Better yet, go get yourself a 600cc crotch rocket and have some
fun !!! Sounds to me like a lot of guys in this NG need to let down
their hair and relax every once in a while.

For the record, I have a 50cc Honda that I don't ride, a 550 Honda
that I don't ride too much, and a 1300 Yamaha that's a nice ride.
Old February 23rd 08, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat ? wrote:
On Feb 22, 11:29 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Pat ??? wrote:
[...]

If one is riding only in downtown areas with 20 to 30 mph speed limits,
or low traffic residential areas, the 50cc scooters are fine. However, I
would not want to ride on higher speed urban arterials or rural highways
on one, unless there was a paved shoulder to "bail out" on when faster
traffic was coming from behind.

For under 150cc, you're right. That's basically a bicycle with a
motor on the road. Still probably not safe on a road. That's why
they are used mostly for MX and such.

Go get a little 250cc. They are pretty nice little things. Plus they
have enough motor to get you out of trouble. At about 25 mph and
above, if you get into turning trouble, you have to accelerate to get
yourself out of trouble -- so you need to have enough engine to do
that or you will high-bar. That's not a lot of fun.

Better yet, go get yourself a 600cc crotch rocket and have some
fun !!! Sounds to me like a lot of guys in this NG need to let down
their hair and relax every once in a while.

For the record, I have a 50cc Honda that I don't ride, a 550 Honda
that I don't ride too much, and a 1300 Yamaha that's a nice ride.

I used a have a Honda CB400 that weighed about 390 pounds and had about
43 horsepower, and it was fine to ride on the freeway. It would out
accelerate most cars up to about 70 mph, and fuel mileage would
generally be 50-55 mpg.

Old February 23rd 08, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,rec.bicycles.soc,alt.planning.urban,alt.autos,misc.transport.urban-transit
donquijote1954

Default like trying to convince a dinosaur

On Feb 23, 11:50 am, DennisTheBald wrote:
On Feb 22, 10:52 pm, Tom Sherman
wrote:

Indeed. When I was a child, we walked or rode our bicycles to get places.

It is a sick society that thinks a two ton steel cage is needed to haul
a child around.

--
Tom Sherman -

Roger that, and when I was a kid there weren't a whole lot of fat
kids, maybe theres a connection between being hauled around in MVs and
the percentage of fatties in the grammar schools?

We only played hockey when the ponds froze over, maybe having adults
structure and organize their games is a contributing factor, as well.
I certainly feel more empowered without having to pay daily homage to
the auto/oil complex. Kids ain't any dumber than their parents, just
shorter; I'm sure being hauled around to play games set up by their
parents, destroying their autonomy, weakens their sense of self
esteem. If it doesn't it surely should. So what can they do to
repair their broken sense of self worth - I know, buy a really
expensive car! that'll fix everything.

This sounds to me like trying to convince a dinosaur to evolve...

Here's an actual interview with one:

Q: What's up. How does it feel to be on the verge of extinction?

A: Nah, there will never be one.

Q: All the reports point to a mass extinction.

A: Don't pay attention to that. Those are rumors spread by those
little furry mammals...

Q: But your behavior is obviously stupid. All that voracity and
violence...

A: Only necessary to keep the size that I've got.

Q: And why do you need that size?

A: Because I rule the jungle.

Q: And why do you need to rule the jungle?

A: You ask too many questions... Remember I've got a pea-sized brain.

(And here the interview was terminated. Then the dinosaur killed a few
more mammals, and went to sleep --65 million years ago)