Work stand - on the cheap

Old January 14th 06, 09:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Default Work stand - on the cheap

Jaywoo's rig gave me some ideas.. I had to move one of the legs to give
enough clearance for the pedals.. chopped the end where the BB sits and
wrapped around some rag and gaf....

Stand/horse thingy - $18 Bunnings
Front Hub - $10 Bicycle Recycle
Clamps/screws - $2

$30 all up.. and it folds away for easy storage!

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2889/image0116en.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3285/image0121cw.jpg
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/1776/image0135fd.jpg
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/3418/image0152gg.jpg
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1223/image0144wk.jpg

cheers,
GPL

--
gplama

Old January 15th 06, 11:59 PM posted to aus.bicycle

gplama wrote:
Jaywoo's rig gave me some ideas.. I had to move one of the legs to give
enough clearance for the pedals.. chopped the end where the BB sits and
wrapped around some rag and gaf....

Interesting. Are you using any sort of cradle or bracing for the BB
shell for if/when you have to swing sideways on things?

At the LBS we hang bikes off a pair of parallel bars most of the time,
and rarely use a clamp on them. With funny geometries, we hang the
bike off the nose of the seat. I'll take some photos & show you this
week.

Old January 16th 06, 12:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle

Bleve Wrote:

Interesting. Are you using any sort of cradle or bracing for the BB
shell for if/when you have to swing sideways on things?

Nop, it just sits on there... only plan to use this for basic cleaning
and gear indexing.. I'm not a fan of sticking bikes on their head and
scuffing everything up..

cheers,
GPL

--
gplama

Old January 16th 06, 01:46 AM posted to aus.bicycle

gplama Wrote:
Jaywoo's rig gave me some ideas.. I had to move one of the legs to give
enough clearance for the pedals.. chopped the end where the BB sits and
wrapped around some rag and gaf....

Stand/horse thingy - $18 Bunnings
Front Hub - $10 Bicycle Recycle
Clamps/screws - $2

$30 all up.. and it folds away for easy storage!

http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/2889/image0116en.jpg
http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/3285/image0121cw.jpg
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/1776/image0135fd.jpg
http://img68.imageshack.us/img68/3418/image0152gg.jpg
http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/1223/image0144wk.jpg

cheers,
GPL

what do you use it for..... you work on the bike with that..... or is
it used for some sort of weird fetish !?

--
MikeyOz

Old January 16th 06, 02:29 AM posted to aus.bicycle

gplama wrote:
Bleve Wrote:

Interesting. Are you using any sort of cradle or bracing for the BB
shell for if/when you have to swing sideways on things?

Nop, it just sits on there... only plan to use this for basic cleaning
and gear indexing.. I'm not a fan of sticking bikes on their head and
scuffing everything up..

Fair enough. Nifty

I have an el cheapo commercial stand for that, which cost $99 from
Cecil Walker, not all that sturdy, but it has a BB cradle and a
downtube support of sorts that means I can do a bit of sideways stuff
on the bike, but nothing with much torque. Just enough to work on
brake calipers etc.

Old January 16th 06, 05:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, gplama (aka Bruce)

Bleve Wrote:

Interesting. Are you using any sort of cradle or bracing for the BB
shell for if/when you have to swing sideways on things?

Nop, it just sits on there... only plan to use this for basic cleaning
and gear indexing.. I'm not a fan of sticking bikes on their head and
scuffing everything up..

My bike stand for cleaning chainline etc is a peice of string looped
around the clothesline. Just wind up the clothesline until the wheel
is off the ground. Much fun is had when the wind blowss the line
around.

It works.

--
TimC
Examples of valid code in PL/1 (courtesy many people)
Old January 16th 06, 05:28 AM posted to aus.bicycle

TimC Wrote:

My bike stand for cleaning chainline etc is a peice of string looped
around the clothesline. Just wind up the clothesline until the wheel
is off the ground. Much fun is had when the wind blowss the line
around.

and it doubles as a trainer?

cheers,
GPL

--
gplama

Old January 16th 06, 06:52 AM posted to aus.bicycle

I've gotta make me one of those..

Jono 'Frenchy' L

--
Jono L

Old January 16th 06, 07:06 AM posted to aus.bicycle

On 2006-01-16, gplama (aka Bruce)

TimC Wrote:

My bike stand for cleaning chainline etc is a peice of string looped
around the clothesline. Just wind up the clothesline until the wheel
is off the ground. Much fun is had when the wind blowss the line
around.

and it doubles as a trainer?

Since the string holds up the seat, that would be... difficult.
Perhaps not impossible though

--
TimC
Whip me. Beat me. Make me maintain AIX.