actionbent part2

Old April 14th 06, 04:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default actionbent part2

I´m planning to buy one but as I live in Brazil I need to know in how many
boxes
the Actionbent comes and what are the boxes sizes and weight so I can figure
how much it will be to ship to Brazil, I´m planning to delivery in a friend
house in
US an then mail here.
For those who bought it please send me details about their boxes, thanks.

Old April 19th 06, 09:46 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Duram wrote:
I did but no answer until now....

ups.com...

Duram wrote:

I´m planning to buy one but as I live in Brazil I need to know in how many
boxes
the Actionbent comes and what are the boxes sizes and weight so I can

figure

how much it will be to ship to Brazil, I´m planning to delivery in a

friend

house in
US an then mail here.
For those who bought it please send me details about their boxes, thanks.

I just ordered and received my bike from Actionbent. I ordered it on a Friday

and received it on Thursday. It would have been here a day earlier but UPS

routed it wrong. That's not bad for being shipped across country. It
comes in one box.
Old April 19th 06, 09:52 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Mick wrote:
I just ordered and received my bike from Actionbent. I ordered it on a Friday

and received it on Thursday. It would have been here a day earlier but UPS

routed it wrong. That's not bad for being shipped across country. It
comes in one box.

Glad it ain't just me -- my HP Velo SMGTe was somehow "overlooked" by
BAX Global, so it won't arrive until tomorrow afternoon.

Old April 20th 06, 12:22 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

I just got my answers from the dealer, no more doubts.
I think I´ll order mine very soon, I hope your bike is ok and
nice to ride after a long trip.
tell us a review about your new bike, is it good?

"NYC XYZ" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old April 21st 06, 03:05 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Duram wrote:
I just got my answers from the dealer, no more doubts.
I think I´ll order mine very soon, I hope your bike is ok and
nice to ride after a long trip.
tell us a review about your new bike, is it good?

Thanks for the well wishes -- my bike came in very good condition. You
do realize I bought an HP Velo SMGTe, right? There was a small scratch
the size of two commas or periods in an out of the way place, but
otherwise everything looks shiny and new.

Only problem is, it's too big!

I mean, the chain and boom...my x-seam is indeed 42" but I need to lose
another three inches so that I don't lock my knees and "tiptoe" on the
pedals -- and even then, not really!

@#$*%^&!!!!!

There's a guy at work who volunteers as a Ride Marshal every year at
the big Five Borough Bike Tour...I'm gonna ask him if he is any good at
cutting a chain.

I'll be starting a new thread on the bike once I've put in some miles
on flats and hills, in parks and on streets, alone and with traffic, by
day and night! Can't wait.

God this is getting a bit anti-climactic here....

Old April 21st 06, 09:14 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

NYC XYZ wrote:

Only problem is, it's too big!
I mean, the chain and boom...my x-seam is indeed 42" but I need to lose
another three inches so that I don't lock my knees and "tiptoe" on the
pedals -- and even then, not really!

@#$*%^&!!!!!

The boom is secured by a couple of bolts. Undo them and slide the boom
in until it's the right length for you. You'll probably need to take a
bit of slack out of the chain: undo the Powerlink, take off a few links
from the end and then try again until the gears are running smoothly in
all the extreme ratios.

x-seam isn't very relevant to the Streetmachine unless you're very, very
tall or particularly short.

There's a guy at work who volunteers as a Ride Marshal every year at
the big Five Borough Bike Tour...I'm gonna ask him if he is any good at
cutting a chain.

Get a Park Tools mini chain tool. They're designed to be foolproof and
IME of setting up an SMGT chain (I put a new one on last month, made
from about 2.4 standard chains) they've managed their design goal. And
you'll have a good chain tool for the future.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK
Old April 21st 06, 04:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Peter Clinch wrote:

The boom is secured by a couple of bolts. Undo them and slide the boom
in until it's the right length for you. You'll probably need to take a
bit of slack out of the chain: undo the Powerlink, take off a few links
from the end and then try again until the gears are running smoothly in
all the extreme ratios.

Boom adjustment doesn't have me worried -- it's all the issues with
doing the chain...tension, length, and strength...I don't want to not
do something right and have a catastrophic, if not also fatal, failure
some time later....

There's a bike shop nearby but the guy on the phone sounded like a
drone and very bored (another LBS with an attitude problem).
Interestingly, he said cutting a chain is only $5. I would have
thought it'd be a bit more, seeing how it's probably as annoying as
fixing flats.

Still, I'm intrigued...it seems simple enough...find the Powerlink,
undo, remove another few links, redo Powerlink, and voilà, ç'est ca!

x-seam isn't very relevant to the Streetmachine unless you're very, very
tall or particularly short.

Huh???? How's that possible????

X-seam determines how much to telescope the boom, which in turn
determines chain length, etc.

Get a Park Tools mini chain tool. They're designed to be foolproof and
IME of setting up an SMGT chain (I put a new one on last month, made
from about 2.4 standard chains) they've managed their design goal. And
you'll have a good chain tool for the future.

I'll get one, then, for the future.

But in the here and now, I've got the chain tool on the Topeak Alien II
Folding Multi-Tool ("Swiss Army Knife"). Is that adequate?

My real problem is expertise. Haven't ever done this, and don't want
to make a bigger mess of things.

I wanna ride already, damn it!

But sure enough, it's rain and threat of rain this weekend.

Pete.

Old April 21st 06, 04:43 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

NYC XYZ wrote:

Boom adjustment doesn't have me worried -- it's all the issues with
doing the chain...tension, length, and strength...I don't want to not
do something right and have a catastrophic, if not also fatal, failure
some time later....

Shorten the boom first and see how your gears do. If they're skipping a
bit on the small chainwheel you need more tension, so a shorter chain.
According to how much the boom shortened, take out almost as much chain
and try again. Continue tweaking until the gears work smoothly at top
and bottom ends.

Strength is a non-issue. As long as you use a decent chain tool like
the Park one you can't appreciably weaken anything and the rivets will
be set in at the right place automagically.

So no reason for a failure later, and you'll know how to do it next time
and have the tool for the job if you /do/ have a failure.

There's a bike shop nearby but the guy on the phone sounded like a
drone and very bored (another LBS with an attitude problem).
Interestingly, he said cutting a chain is only $5. I would have
thought it'd be a bit more, seeing how it's probably as annoying as
fixing flats.

It takes, oooh, several whole seconds to break it in the first place
(whether using the Powerlink you have or in any link with a chain tool),
and a few more to knock out the surplus bit, and a few more to connect
the ends back together. No parts needed, just a few seconds doing up
the tool. You can have the foolproof tool for not a huge amount more
than it'll cost to have it done for you.

Still, I'm intrigued...it seems simple enough...find the Powerlink,
undo, remove another few links, redo Powerlink, and voilà, ç'est ca!

Yes, it really is that easy. And since the chain's new finding the
Powerlink will be very easy as well... The key to undoing the
Powerlink, btw, is to squeeze the opposite plates together at the same
time you push the ends towards one another.

x-seam isn't very relevant to the Streetmachine unless you're very, very
tall or particularly short.

Huh???? How's that possible????
X-seam determines how much to telescope the boom, which in turn
determines chain length, etc.

But you don't need to measure anything, just leave it loose after
pushing it in, sit on it, push it out to where you want it with your
feet on the pedals, make sure the crank is vertical, do up the bolts.
One perfectly set boom, no need to have any idea what your x-seam is.

But in the here and now, I've got the chain tool on the Topeak Alien II
Folding Multi-Tool ("Swiss Army Knife"). Is that adequate?

Yes, but it probably doesn't automatically limit the end-point so
without a bit of practice re-insertions of the pins can be slightly off
and result in a stiff chain. Just a case of fiddling with it back and
forth until it's right, but without the practice a real mechanic gets
it's easier to have one that sets things right like the Park one.
That's why I got the Park one.

Pete.

actionbent Duram Recumbent Biking 16 April 20th 06 08:57 PM
Actionbent Recumbents Tony Recumbent Biking 1 July 15th 04 01:49 AM
$750 SWB Recumbent at Chuck's Bikes (same as ActionBent Tidal Wave) B. Sanders Recumbent Biking 1 November 10th 03 05:12 PM