Tyres- another newbie question

Old April 12th 05, 08:22 PM
Diablo Scott

Matthew wrote:

Art Harris wrote in message
oups.com...

Neil Brooks wrote:

If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping

the

entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
magically reverses with it :-)

No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.

If the tire was installed in the wrong direction wouldn't the label
already be on the wrong side? I would think flipping the wheel would
just put the QR lever on the "wrong" side. As others have said, not a
big deal either way if it is the front tire.

He was talking about the rim label, not the tire label.
Also, the hub label would be upside down... beginner mistake.

--
My bike blog:
http://diabloscott.blogspot.com/
Old April 12th 05, 09:02 PM
Rich

The Wogster wrote:

Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered
this morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing
the wrong way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just

However there is another issue here, what kinda dumbass installs a tyre
in the wrong direction in the first place?

I did that two weeks ago. Tires is complex... Or maybe I just wasn't
paying attention.

Regardless, I decided it probably didn't matter so I left it. Glad to
hear that was in fact true.

Rich
Old April 12th 05, 10:08 PM
WeatherGuy

"WeatherGuy" wrote in message
.. .
Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered this
morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing the wrong
way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just use for
exercise within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real hassle to take
it back to the shop, which is in the next town, and I cannot change it
over myself.

I appreciated all the replies to this post - clearly it is not something I
need to be concerned about.

And the sermoners are right - I should know how to fix a flat and have the
tools on the road to do it. Not something I have ever done and, being sixty,
the saying that you can't teach an old dog new tricks comes to mind. I will
have an expert show this old dog - but I am sure I will be quite nervous
doing it the first time myself.

Thanks everyone.

Old April 13th 05, 12:24 AM
RonSonic

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:19:55 -0400, "WeatherGuy"
wrote:

Yesterday my local bike shop replaced a tyre for me but I discovered this
morning that the directional arrow on the sidewall is pointing the wrong
way. How serious is this? This is a hybrid bike that I just use for exercise
within 10 kilometres of home. It would be a real hassle to take it back to
the shop, which is in the next town, and I cannot change it over myself.

Generally unimportant and often considered beneficial in the case of a front
tire.

Mountain bike guys will talk all about which tire should be pointing which way
on which end of the bike.

Ron

Old April 13th 05, 12:33 AM
maxo

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 11:37:46 -0500, Earl Bollinger wrote:

Anyway, it appears to be a sign
of the times, just like with automobiles, where people just use them, and
don't know anything about repairing them. Hummm, maybe we need a new
bicycle roadside assistance system like AAA for bicycles too.

The difference with cars is that over the years, cars have become
virtually solid state. For the first hundred thou miles, just change the
oil. Might as well seal the hood shut. LOL

Bikes, still have loose bearing, exposed chains, spokes, and other turn of
the [last] century design elements that like to break.

Old April 13th 05, 12:38 AM
Neil Brooks

"Earl Bollinger" wrote:

Hummm, maybe we need a new bicycle roadside assistance system like AAA for
bicycles too. You pay $25-$50 a year and a nearby SAG wagon from a bicycle
shop or something, comes to your rescue.

I found this a year or so ago, when I was eliminating obstacles for my
wife to bike commute. I think the idea is awesome:

http://www.betterworldclub.com/roads...tance/bike.htm
Old April 13th 05, 07:28 AM
Bill Sornson

Art Harris wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote:

If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping
the entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
magically reverses with it :-)

No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.

Never thought about the rim, but I *did* lecture Neil about the HUB
graphics. Backwards there will just not do...

Old April 13th 05, 03:25 PM
John Everett

On Tue, 12 Apr 2005 23:33:27 GMT, maxo wrote:

The difference with cars is that over the years, cars have become
virtually solid state. For the first hundred thou miles, just change the
oil. Might as well seal the hood shut. LOL

Reminds me of an old story which has nothing to do with bicycles but
is/was a bit prophetic. Back when I was driving race cars ('70s) there
was a story making the rounds about one of the owners of a top race
engine shop of the time (it could have been either Travers or Coons of
Traco) who bought a new Chevy Monte Carlo. Seems he had such faith in
the engine technology of the time he just drove it without any
maintenance at all. He finally opened the hood at about 36,000 miles
because he noticed when he started the engine it was taking a little
longer for the oil light to go off. ;-)

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
Old April 13th 05, 03:57 PM
Neil Brooks

"Bill Sornson" wrote:

Art Harris wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote:

If it's the front wheel (and thanks to Bill Sornson for pointing
this out to me!), you can remove, reverse, and reinstall the quick
release (careful not to lose the springs), thereby simply flipping
the entire wheel 180 degrees. IOW, reverse the wheel and the tire
magically reverses with it :-)

No good. Then the rim's label will be facing the wrong direction.
That's worse than have the tread direction backwards.

Never thought about the rim, but I *did* lecture Neil about the HUB
graphics. Backwards there will just not do...

Aw, Jeez. I never thought about those things. And with print
dithering on these labels, there's an additional wind-resistance issue
to factor in....

WeatherGuy is *screwed*.

Get thee to a bike shop, Man!!

(we're kidding, Weather Guy!)
Old April 14th 05, 01:31 PM
Dane Jackson

maxo wrote:

I do stop and fix a flat per month for recreational cyclists around here,
but always with a friendly lecture. People always seem amazed at how
simple it is to fix, and how light and easy to carry the tools are.

I'm reminded of the last time I stopped to help someone with that.
They had an older bike with a bolt-on axle and the blow out in the
tube was far too large to patch. So I was stuck with this whole
bag of tools, and couldn't help her for the lack of a 15mm wrench.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Dungeons and Dragons is just a lot of Saxon Violence.

Newbie Child Seat question Damien Kay UK 4 April 4th 05 09:46 AM
Newbie question about saddles (and sore backsides) Judith UK 9 March 28th 05 12:37 AM
newbie crit question Richard Racing 11 February 21st 05 03:24 AM
Stupid Newbie Question ? Flak Monkey UK 1 January 12th 04 08:07 PM
Stupid newbie question about lightening bike *John* Mountain Biking 14 September 19th 03 03:39 PM