26er to 28er--is it worth it while waiting for Coker Heaven?

Old May 18th 05, 05:22 PM
dogbowl

Default 26er to 28er--is it worth it while waiting for Coker Heaven?

Here's a question thats been bouncing around my mind for a day or
two...

Has anyone ever gone from a 26 uni to a 28er or 29er and noticed a big
difference?

I ask because I am FINALLY getting the hang of my 26er, and for the past
few days I've gone for some long rides on the west side bike path,
discovering how much I like distance riding. But, I'm still huffing and
puffing as I build my stanima up in preperation for the LBI Unithon,
whose 19 mile length does seem daunting.
My ultimate goal is to get a proper coker, but, because my finances
don't allow that now, I am thinking of a short-term interim uni to hold
me over till I can afford one.

I was thinking of getting that Sun 28er for that reason, as a temp,
and yet I wonder if the experience won't be much different from riding
my current 26er, which I love dearly, but I'm not sure if she is the uni
for any serious long distance rides.

Is it worth it to get a cheap 28er while waiting for that big giant
Coker in the sky, or is it better to continue huffing and puffing on a
26er while waiting for that same gigantic, goddess-like coker that I am
sure will change my life forever, bringing me eternal happiness as
cokers always seem to do...

I await advice from all you more experienced unicyclers out there (which
means just about everyone....)

--
dogbowl - rides a 26", but dreams of a coker!

All I want out of life is to be able to ride the unicycle while smoking
a cigar at the same time. Is that too much to ask for?
www.dogbowl.com / www.eyeballplanet.com
I USE LINUX--I LIKE LINUX!!!!!!!!

dogbowl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6629

Old May 18th 05, 05:27 PM
tholub

You're probably better off switching to shorter cranks on your 26"
rather than getting a whole new cheapo 28". And maybe upgrading to a
better distance tire, if you don't have a good one on there now; the
Schwalbe Big Apple is nice, and there's a 26" version.

--
tholub - Kinetic Sculptor

Old May 18th 05, 05:51 PM
munipsycho

I've been waiting a couple of months now for all the parts so my
Stockon coker can be built.

Last week I broke down and bought a 28" Sun with 102s from UDC.

I only had a KH 24 MUni, though. Don't know about modifying your 26".

I like the Sun well enough. No tricks, though. The uni isn't
sufficiently well made to allow even small drops.

Good luck whatever you decide.

--
munipsycho - CrashTestDummies are us.

=====================
'Victory belongs now to this small tree.'
(http://munipsycho.com/stories/a_little_tree.jsp)

'The UniSkills Assessment' (http://www.munipsycho.com/uniskills_2.jsp)

I can fly too. But I can only fly down.
-Little Bear

Imagine all the people
Riding on one wheel.
J. Lennon. (paraphrased)
munipsycho's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9589

Old May 18th 05, 06:18 PM
mucRider

dogbowl wrote:
*Here's a question thats been bouncing around my mind for a day or
two...

Has anyone ever gone from a 26 uni to a 28er or 29er and noticed a big
difference?
*

I recently bought a 29" Yuni from UDC. Before that, my biggest wheel was
26".

The new 29" has 125mm cranks and a Big Apple tire. I don't remember what
size cranks my 26" has, probably 150's.

To your question, yes, I noticed a big difference from the 26" to the
29". I think the combination of bigger wheel and shorter cranks makes
the big difference. The 26" was a chore to ride any distance. The 29"
makes distance riding much easier.

--
mucRider - From the Over 50 Group

Life is like a garbage can .... you get out of it what you put into it.
mucRider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6119

Old May 18th 05, 06:28 PM
underdog

Right now I'm riding a 24" and am planning to upgrade to a 29" soon. In
my case it's a calculated step on my way to a Coker. I want to take the
time to develop my riding technique and skills on the 29er before I make
that final, big step to a Coker.

--
underdog - level 1 rider

'I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody
tell you different' - Kurt Vonnegut
underdog's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6197

Old May 18th 05, 06:38 PM
JJuggle

underdog wrote:
*Right now I'm riding a 24" and am planning to upgrade to a 29" soon.
In my case it's a calculated step on my way to a Coker. I want to
take the time to develop my riding technique and skills on the 29er
before I make that final, big step to a Coker. *

Interesting plan. I went from a 24" uni to a Coker. I rode the Coker
without any real problems but never felt in total control of it
particularly with regard to freemounting (could do it but not with
authority) and riding in traffic.

I traded down in size to a 29er which I ride very comfortably and with a
feeling of control. I sometimes miss the speed and momentum of the
Coker, but overall the ability to maneuver, idle, and freemount easily
makes the 29er my unicycle of choice.

--
JJuggle - My Duchess of Prunes

Raphael Lasar
Matawan, NJ

'7th Annual LBI Unithon' (http://jjuggle.unicyclist.com/lbiunithon) -
Saturday, June 11, 2005.
JJuggle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/24

Old May 18th 05, 11:25 PM
mscalisi

If what you REALLY want is a coker, then save up and get a coker. A
cheap Sun 28" is going to run you $90, and there's stuff you might want
to upgrade right from the start.

My advice? Save it and put it toward the coker. The stock one will run
$329, and you can do quite a bit with it. I got one when I was a
relative novice with experience only with a 24. It was challenging but
rewarding ride. I don't think there's any need to move up a little at a
time. You'll learn all the skills you need for the coker on the coker.

dogbowl wrote:
[...]

I await advice from all of you more experienced unicyclers out there
(which means just about everyone except me....) *

--
mscalisi - Not such a newbie anymore
mscalisi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4961

Old May 19th 05, 03:27 AM
bugman

That's a good question... Reid had a 28 and rode it with 127's and was
usually capable of riding with me on a Coker. He was spinning like hell
to keep up, while I rode comfortably. He loved his, but also bought a
Coker last week.

I rode his 28 and it has advantage like Raphael said, it's easier to
mount. But nothing feels quite like the Coker. It's fast, it's tall
and it commands respect. I rarely get clown/circus comments on it. I
think it's kind of intimidating... well as intimidating as you can be on
a uni.

Dogbowl, e-mail or PM me your address. I need to ship you some stuff.

--
bugman - Survivor 2004 Wolfman Duathalon

-* [ F O N T = c e n t u r y g o t h i c ] ' H e l p C u r e D i a
b e t e s b y S u p p o r t i n g M y R i d e ' ( h t t p : /
/ t i n y u r l . c o m / 6 8 m k v ) [ / F O N T ] * -

*Fund Raising Honor Roll*
Kathy Susanka