ping ... ping ping ...

Old October 9th 04, 07:20 AM
DaveB

Default ping ... ping ping ...

.... ping DOH! ... ping ping ping CRAP ... ping ping AAAGH ... ping SON
OF A ... ping.

Ah the joys of bicycle maintenance. This was the sweet sound in my
workshop this afternoon as I removed the bottom bracket on my MTB
without an old towel underneath to catch any stray ball bearings, as the
majority of the ball bearings fell out and onto a tiled floor. It's
amazing how many different directions they could go. After 20 mins on my
hands and knees I gave up and wandered up to the LBS for two sets in
cages for the grand total of $6, never to worry about bouncing bearings
again (well, until I do the wheel hubs next).

DaveB "with a tale of the LBS to warm mfhor's heart"

Old October 9th 04, 08:16 AM
Peter Signorini

"DaveB" wrote in message
... ping DOH! ... ping ping ping CRAP ... ping ping AAAGH ... ping SON
OF A ... ping.

Ah the joys of bicycle maintenance. This was the sweet sound in my
workshop this afternoon as I removed the bottom bracket on my MTB
without an old towel underneath to catch any stray ball bearings, as the
majority of the ball bearings fell out and onto a tiled floor. It's
amazing how many different directions they could go. After 20 mins on my
hands and knees I gave up and wandered up to the LBS for two sets in
cages for the grand total of $6, never to worry about bouncing bearings
again (well, until I do the wheel hubs next).

Sounds like you need more grease in those cups. That'll hold the loose balls
in place. Balls in cages are poor value for money ;-)

Cheers
Peter

Old October 9th 04, 08:33 AM
hippy

"DaveB" wrote in message
... ping DOH! ... ping ping ping CRAP ... ping ping AAAGH ... ping SON
OF A ... ping.

Hey this is a bike group! No car pos.. oh you were
dropping BB bearings.. well in that case.. yeah been
there done that :-)

I never owned a freewheel remover 'back in the day'
so I'd have to use a funky pair of needle nose pliers
to fit into the little Ultraglide dimples and unscrew the
lock ring. Along with removing the freewheel, this
would free up 4.5billion* small ball bearings most of
which would inevitably end up in one of the many
small piles of sawdust and cobwebs in Dad's shed..
ahh memories...

*may not be accurate estimate

hippy
Motivational Thought: If comparing your own Av. Spd.
with that of the pro ranks.. remember.. they don't see
stop lights!

Old October 9th 04, 08:41 AM
hippy

"Peter Signorini" wrote in message
Sounds like you need more grease in those cups. That'll hold the loose

balls
in place. Balls in cages are poor value for money ;-)

I usually remove the cage and add a bearing..

hippy

Old October 9th 04, 09:21 AM
flyingdutch

hippy Wrote:
hippy
Motivational Thought: If comparing your own Av. Spd.
with that of the pro ranks.. remember.. they don't see
stop lights!

that's T-shirt material! :

--
flyingdutch

Old October 9th 04, 12:59 PM
aeek

hippy Wrote:

Motivational Thought: If comparing your own Av. Spd.
with that of the pro ranks.. remember.. they don't see stop lights!

so they don't get the rests, which autostop speedos don't count either

--
aeek

Old October 9th 04, 03:05 PM
hippy

"aeek"

hippy Wrote:

Motivational Thought: If comparing your own Av. Spd.
with that of the pro ranks.. remember.. they don't see stop lights!

so they don't get the rests, which autostop speedos don't count either.

Mine isn't set to auto-stop :-P
(only because I can't remember how to!)

We don't have support cars, doctors, feed bags,
cheering fans, sponsors, win bonuses, snogs from
podium girls, or $10k bikes and a year to train for
one race ;-)

hippy

Old October 10th 04, 11:55 PM
mfhor

DaveB Wrote:
.... ping DOH! ... ping ping ping CRAP ... ping ping AAAGH ... ping SON
OF A ... ping.

Ah the joys of bicycle maintenance. This was the sweet sound in my
workshop this afternoon as I removed the bottom bracket on my MTB
without an old towel underneath to catch any stray ball bearings, as
the
majority of the ball bearings fell out and onto a tiled floor. It's
amazing how many different directions they could go. After 20 mins on
my
hands and knees I gave up and wandered up to the LBS for two sets in
cages for the grand total of $6, never to worry about bouncing
bearings
again (well, until I do the wheel hubs next).

DaveB "with a tale of the LBS to warm mfhor's heart"

You have TILES in you WORKSHOP!?! You'd have to be careful where you
threw the shifter when ****ed off, then . . .

Seriously, unless you're a low-friction geek, a sealed unit is worth
it's weight. I think the one in the tourer is just about to go after
about 50000 k's, and I've only tightened the cups up once (9 years,
give or take). it cost $75 in 1995 money, so .15 c/km (is that right?)
Plus labour time not repacking bearings. What are the figures like with
cup and cone B/Bs? I'd be interested to make a comparison. Say, $4 a set
of bearings, repack every 6 months at 1/2 hr, $45/hr; tools, tool
depreciation; grease, no, I couldn't be bothered.

M "not as much a romantic as people make out" H

--
mfhor

Old October 11th 04, 12:13 AM
DaveB

mfhor wrote:

You have TILES in you WORKSHOP!?! You'd have to be careful where you
threw the shifter when ****ed off, then . . .

Not only do I have tiles but it also has ducted heating!!! Very cosy on
cold winter nights and fantastic for drying wet gear. I think it was
originally built as a pool room.

DaveB

Old October 11th 04, 08:17 AM
fred_nieman

DaveB wrote:

DaveB "with a tale of the LBS to warm mfhor's heart"

It could be worse.
"Poolah, poolah, poolah" - the sad music of pitted and black mayonnaised
bb bearings dropping on to newspaper.
"piicth... picth": the two broken bits of bearing race from the
adjustable side, covered in a black mayonnaise of old grease, stainless
steel particles, and sneaking-in water and road dust.
Thank the Deity of Your Choice for cartridge bb-s
xxx
fred aka p

PING: Steve DeKoekkoek forrestunifreak Unicycling 3 June 6th 05 03:31 AM
Strange 'ping'! Paul Davis UK 4 July 8th 04 10:01 AM
Ping Slacker - Idrive tech stuff. Andy Chequer Mountain Biking 3 June 8th 04 01:26 PM
Ping! BB Mountain Biking 4 May 20th 04 04:31 AM