12 ga vs 14 ga stainless coker spokes???

Old April 11th 06, 03:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default 12 ga vs 14 ga stainless coker spokes???

I'm contemplating a wheel upgrade to an Airfoil rim and am wondering
what the thinking is on which spokes to use with the UDC extra wiode
hub.

Are the 14 ga stainless spokes (UDC has them for $2.00 each) worth the
extra expense? I spoke to UDC's wheel builder today and he seems to
think that the stock 12 ga spokes will result in a stiffer (but
slightly heavier) wheel that will stay true longer than with 14 ga
stainless.

Can you actually feel the difference in the way it will ride??
What do you all think??

--
brycer1968
brycer1968's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11311

Old April 11th 06, 04:30 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

brycer1968 wrote:
I'm contemplating a wheel upgrade to an Airfoil rim and am wondering
what the thinking is on which spokes to use with the UDC extra wiode
hub.

Are the 14 ga stainless spokes (UDC has them for $2.00 each) worth the
extra expense? I spoke to UDC's wheel builder today and he seems to
think that the stock 12 ga spokes will result in a stiffer (but
slightly heavier) wheel that will stay true longer than with 14 ga
stainless.

Can you actually feel the difference in the way it will ride??
What do you all think??

I haven't tried the UDC version of the SS spokes, but the Tommy Miller
ones are way better than the standard Coker Spokes. I think it is as
strong if not stronger. It's also a significant weight saving
(probably 250g)- I noticed it accelerated/decelerated better straight
away. When added together with a tubeless kit, it's like going up an
extra gear (ie you'll be using 110mm cranks where you might have used
125mm).

Also, it doesn't corrode in the same way that the standard Coker spokes
do. If you compare it with bicycles- only the very cheapest, nastiest,
K-mart/Walmart/Dept Store Huffy type bikes use those spokes, most bikes
use stainless.

So yeah, worth every penny

--
GizmoDuck