Helmet ID

Old January 10th 07, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Helmet ID

Hi All,

I have been on the lookout for a helmet that fits my head and does not
stick up in the air like a duck posterior. Photos of myself on my bike
reveal that my current approved helmet increases my frontal area
significantly.

For everyday use, I am 100% satisfied with my Carrera Carapacho
hairnet.

The problem is it is not approved, so I need a "real" helmet for
centuries, etc. My current LAS fits well, is light, does not obstruct
my vision, and does not make significant wind-noise, but as mentioned
before it is aerodynamically challenged.

So does anyone know what helmet Theo Bos has been using lately on the
track? It looks pertty good, does not stick up into the air, and is not
a track specific helmet so it can be used in the real world where vents
are a nice thing. The problem is, I don't know what kind it is.

Here are some pics:

http://tinyurl.com/yx4abq
http://tinyurl.com/u2zdl
http://tinyurl.com/yxtcrf

So what kind of helmet is he using? Where do I get one? I know it won't
make me average over 73kmh for 200m, but it think it will help a
little!

While searching, I cam across the dumbest helmet I've ever seen:

http://www.bicycle-parts.de/assets/b...rt_camo270.jpg

Which is made by the same folks who make one of the nicest (but at $300
it better be nice!):
http://www.casco-helme.de/01/attack_1.jpg
http://www.casco-helme.de/01/attack_t1.jpg

Joseph

Old January 10th 07, 07:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I'm afraid I can't help ID the helmet, but your post did leave me
wondering a couple things. When you say "approved" are you referring
to a DOT standard? You mention needing an approved helmet for
centuries, etc. Do clubs/groups/races have helmet rules & acceptance
standards? I'm imagining myself being turned away from my first group
ride or race because I wore the DOT sticker off my skid lid a couple
years back, or because I don't have the visor for it anymore.

I do keep my spare streetbike helmet in my car, and that's still got
the DOT sticker, but it'd be a bit much pedaling around in the heat and
may take a couple seconds off my overall race time.

Old January 10th 07, 07:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 10 Jan 2007 11:31:14 -0800, wrote:

[snip]

While searching, I cam across the dumbest helmet I've ever seen:

http://www.bicycle-parts.de/assets/b...rt_camo270.jpg

[snip]

Dear Joseph,

Bah! There are three obvious advantages of that helmet's double rear
spoiler wings:

1) The down-force pushes your head down, reducing frontal area.

2) The down-force pushes the tire down, improving traction.

3) The clean plastic loops of the spoiler wings offer much safer
support when you hang the helmet from a nail on the garage wall.

The laughably old-fashioned method of hanging a helmet on the wall
nail by its sweaty chin strap rusts the nail, which eventually breaks
and lets the helmet fall, crack on the floor, and require replacement:

"You can also crack the helmet foam or damage it by dropping the
helmet on a hard surface. The cracks may be small and hard to see, so
you need to look carefully. Cracks in the foam always require
replacement of the helmet."

http://www.helmets.org/replace.htm

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 10th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joseph Said: There are various approval agencies about, depending upon
where you are in the world. Events like centuries usually in the fine
print have some requirement that riders use a helmet approved by
whatever the national cycling body uses as a standard. As long as you
use some helmet, I doubt they will get nit-picky about the stickers.
The problem is my Carrera is clearly not a regular helmet, and usually
the second comment I get from people is, "is it approved?"

I'll bite, what's the first comment? Interesting info on the helmet
requirements. I reside in the northeastern portion of the US, New
Hampshire to be a bit more precise. The only approvals I'm aware of
for a helmet are DOT (Department of Transportation) and the Snell
ratings (Snell being an organization and not an acronym).

My bucket isn't exactly normal looking either, as it's a full face with
a removable jaw piece. If anything, mine would appear overkill by
sight, so I should be ok. I'll have to see what's required before
signing up for any particular event. Thanks for the heads up.

Old January 10th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Marz

wrote:
So does anyone know what helmet Theo Bos has been using lately on the
track? It looks pertty good, does not stick up into the air, and is not
a track specific helmet so it can be used in the real world where vents
are a nice thing. The problem is, I don't know what kind it is.

What helmet is Theo wearing? I think you've already found it at casco!
Looks the same to me.

Old January 10th 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Marz wrote:
wrote:
So does anyone know what helmet Theo Bos has been using lately on the
track? It looks pertty good, does not stick up into the air, and is not
a track specific helmet so it can be used in the real world where vents
are a nice thing. The problem is, I don't know what kind it is.

What helmet is Theo wearing? I think you've already found it at casco!
Looks the same to me.

Mmmm. Duh. I guess it's not so strange for a world champion to have a
$300 helmet. And I guess it's not strange that I would think 2 helmets
that are actually one and the same were BOTH appealing!

Thanks for bursting my bubble. I was hoping his was available online
for $40. ;-)

Joseph

Old January 10th 07, 08:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Forrest Tomlinson

On 10 Jan 2007 11:41:54 -0800, "
wrote:

Do clubs/groups/races have helmet rules & acceptance
standards?

In the US, helmets used in bike race races sanctioned by the US
Cycling Federation (which covers most races) have to have a sticker in
them stating they meet some standard. Most, but not all, commercially
available helmets meet one or more of these standards.

The answer depends on where you are and whose events you're doing.

--
JT
****************************
Old January 11th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:57:37 -0700, wrote:

On 10 Jan 2007 11:31:14 -0800,
wrote:

[snip]

While searching, I cam across the dumbest helmet I've ever seen:

http://www.bicycle-parts.de/assets/b...rt_camo270.jpg

[snip]

Dear Joseph,

Bah! There are three obvious advantages of that helmet's double rear
spoiler wings:

1) The down-force pushes your head down, reducing frontal area.

2) The down-force pushes the tire down, improving traction.

3) The clean plastic loops of the spoiler wings offer much safer
support when you hang the helmet from a nail on the garage wall.

And, of course, the additional projections increase both the
likelyhood and severity of rotational injury, should a fall occur.