'Feud' inquiry over biker's death

Old March 10th 05, 09:51 AM
Colin Blackburn

Default 'Feud' inquiry over biker's death

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4335183.stm

"""
The death of a cyclist in West Yorkshire could be linked to a feud
between local residents and bikers over off-road cycling, police say.

David Burns, 38, fell off his bike when it hit branches on a track near
Dewsbury. He died on 4 March, two weeks after the incident.

Inquiries are centred on how the branches got on the bridleway in Coxley
Wood, Netherton.

A police spokeswoman said: "We are aware there have been tensions."

Ongoing tests

She said Mr Burns had been cycling in the woods with a friend on 13
February.

After the fall he got back on his bike and went home, only going to
hospital the following day. He was treated and sent home.

A week later he still felt unwell and went back to Leeds General
Infirmary where he later died.

A post-mortem examination has taken place but tests are continuing to
find out whether his death was connected to the fall.

Last month, more than 150 people went to a meeting at Netherton Village
Hall to discuss bikers using the woods.

Residents claim off-road bikers are a danger and could be doing harm to
the environment.
"""

Colin
Old March 10th 05, 01:43 PM
Bryan

Colin Blackburn Wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bradford/4335183.stm

"""
The death of a cyclist in West Yorkshire could be linked to a feud
between local residents and bikers over off-road cycling, police say.

David Burns, 38, fell off his bike when it hit branches on a track
near
Dewsbury. He died on 4 March, two weeks after the incident.

Inquiries are centred on how the branches got on the bridleway in
Coxley
Wood, Netherton.
snip

"""

Colin

WEll according to this he was on a 'bridleway' where he was legally
allowed to ride. Now of course he was doing far more environmental
damage than any hore that would ever use the same path, so that
explains putting obstacles in the way.

If locals really were worried then putting bear traps in the the woods
but nott on the bridleway would be perfectly acceptable.

It's a terrible thing to happen, and if his deth is attributed to the
'roadblock' then I hope the whole village gets arrested, after all 150
of them are accessories before the fact.

Bryan

--
Bryan

Old March 10th 05, 02:13 PM
Mark Tranchant

Bryan wrote:

Now of course he was doing far more environmental
damage than any hore that would ever use the same path

You misspelled "whore".

--
Mark.
http://tranchant.plus.com/
Old March 10th 05, 04:15 PM
Tony Raven

Bryan wrote:

WEll according to this he was on a 'bridleway' where he was legally
allowed to ride. Now of course he was doing far more environmental
damage than any hore that would ever use the same path, so that
explains putting obstacles in the way.

If locals really were worried then putting bear traps in the the woods
but nott on the bridleway would be perfectly acceptable.

It's a terrible thing to happen, and if his deth is attributed to the
'roadblock' then I hope the whole village gets arrested, after all 150
of them are accessories before the fact.

Bryan

There's a bit of a difference between branches and bear traps. Branches
are common obstacles in woods and if you can't ride over them or stop in
time then you are going too fast for conditions. In the woods its quite
common for spade boy cyclists to dig jumps etc on the paths so while I
don't condone putting obstacles in the way I don't think it that heinous
a crime. After all the branches could have fallen off a tree with the
same effect.

Tony

Old March 10th 05, 11:57 PM
Ambrose Nankivell

Bryan wrote:
WEll according to this he was on a 'bridleway' where he was legally
allowed to ride. Now of course he was doing far more environmental
damage than any hore that would ever use the same path, so that
explains putting obstacles in the way.

I imagine a whore wouldn't cause that much damage to the path except for
discarded prophylatics.

Old March 10th 05, 11:59 PM
John R Clayton

I know this path, it has a "history" of occasional conflict with walkers,
horse riders and possibly cyclists. Several thousand people live in
Netherton, Wakefield.

Might also be due to stupid vandalism, not murderous malice.

--
John Clayton
Calder Clarion C.C.

Old March 11th 05, 10:27 AM

It is obviously uncertain as to why these obsticals were in the path
(and I agree that one should always ride a speed that enable one to
avoid any obstical). It also seems uncertain what actually caused the
riders death. That said I have come across plenty of examples of
walkers deliberately setting traps and so on in order to cause harm to
cyclists. Once whilst walking on a local RoW near to me I came a cross
a couple of aged 'RA' types pulling down live branches off trees to
make barriers across the path, When they saw me they cheerily said
'Don't worry we're only stopping mountain bikers from using the path'.
Some paths in my area are obstructed every few hundred metres by trees
which have obvioulsy been manhandled into position from where they
fell. Other walkers are prepared to go much further as is witnessed by
the occasional 'wire traps' one sees reported or the home made
'stingers' laid down in places like The Forest of Dene (See
http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebik...ghtsofway.html

I wonder what the reaction would be if cyclists or residents started
creating their own speed calming measures or depositing concrete blocks
around blind corners in order to catch out all those motorists who put
other peoples lives at risk by driving far too fast to be able to stop
in the distance they can see to be clear...

Old March 11th 05, 10:38 AM
John Clayton

Since I wrote this (below) I've seen an item in our local newspaper.
The Wakefield Express reports this morning that there was recently a
"Village Hall" meeting where 150 people gathered to moan about "trials
bikes, mountain bikes, other cycles" using this path / area.

This bloke (victim?) was injured and eventually discharged from
Hospital/ A&E, he later felt unwell and died at home.

For your information it is a fairly long, relatively narrow area, runs
downhill for the entire length. A small network of paths generally
follows a stream.

In article , John R
Clayton writes