Craigslist good/bad

Old March 19th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default Do you have a Stronglight crank puller for sale?

On Mar 19, 11:29 am, Andre Jute wrote:
On Mar 19, 3:32 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

On Mar 19, 10:24 am, Andre Jute wrote:

On Mar 19, 12:47 am, Jay Beattie wrote:

But you
know what, the week after I sold my TA crank puller, I inherited a
bike with a TA crank. It's freakish that way -- the second you get
rid of something, you need it. -- Jay Beattie.

You wouldn't happen to have a 23.35mm Stronglight crank puller of the
same vintage to sell me, would you?

I'm tempted to one of the 49D Stronglight cranksets one can get in
good condition this side of the water if you're patient, held back
only by the impossibility of getting it off the taper again once it is
on.

Andre Jute
Aesthete

You are aware an automotive pulley puller will work just fine for
this?

Unnecessary to be so crude when knowing the right people will
eventually get you the right tool. What's the point of buying
something beautiful if you then proceed to mark it with a bodger from
a discarded technology?

Man of your experience prolly can make a puller from twigs and
twine, right ;-) ?

Start by cutting the branch above and below a fork...

Peter
O/C Aesthete

A doubtful claim.

Unsigned

Ummm.... well. Which do you doubt, the O/C or the Aesthete part? A
true Aesthete sees the beauty of a multi-purpose tool, where the poser
merely looks for the "right" one.

Poser.

Peter
Old March 19th 10, 08:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 19, 3:32 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

I got the purtiest roll of gaffer tape I gotta introduce you to...
Old March 19th 10, 09:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

Default Chanenelock???? was Craigslist good/bad

On Mar 19, 4:21*pm, * Still Just Me *
wrote:
On Fri, 19 Mar 2010 09:45:06 -0700 (PDT), N8N
wrote:

On Mar 19, 12:38*pm, semi-ambivalent wrote:

s/Kleins/dykes/g

Of course, the guys that do that for a living will probably have Klein
brand tools. Klein also makes a small scissors for cutting e.g. CAT5.
Buy a pair, you can almost shave with them.

sa-

I've always heard "dykes" used to refer to diagonal cutters and
"Kleins" to refer to the non-slip-joint pliers with the big square
jaws. *YMMV. *I do have a pair of those scissors as well, they're
surprisingly handy for a variety of jobs (work better than a carpet
knife for cutting carpet, for instance - I'm pretty sure that's what I
used to trim a scrap of commercial carpet to make a bed mat for my
pickemup truck) *I don't do electrical work for a living, but I work
with people who do, and since my house is even older than my oldest
car, I suppose you could call me an "advanced amateur..."

And yeah, Klein makes great tools. *I love their 10-in-1 screwdriver
and multi-tap as well. *With those two tools, a pair of needlenose
pliers, some regular Kleins, and a drill in your belt you can do a
whole mess of stuff.

nate

Agree on the "dikes" as being short for diagonal cutters (don't think
you'd spell it "dykes", but your tools might work from the other side,
if you get my drift).

Personally, I don't much like Kliens. I've always found their steel to
be a bit substandard. Back in the day, I used to have access to an
unlimited supply of Kliens tools - whatever I wanted. Their tools all
seemed to wear fast. *This was particularly true of their
channel-locks jaws (the large 10" and the little 5" sizes) where the
points of the jaws were soft, the diagonal or lineman's cutters that
just weren't that sharp out of the box and got worse (You could never
cut a brake cable with them and get a nice cut), and their
screwdrivers that rounded off, whether phillips or standard, way too
soon. I'd spend my money to buy Craftsman to get tools with hard steel
that worked properly even though the Kliens were free (The same
Craftsman channel-locks from that era are still sharp toothed... the
Kliens long ago beat).

And in the inevitable path, current Crapsman screwdrivers end up with
their tips all deformed the first time you use them on a stubborn,
rusted screw... (save for the Torx driver whose handle twisted off the
very first time I tried to use it, to loosen a choke housing on a
brand new Edelbrock carburetor...)

I agree, the older stuff was good, I still have a set of my
grandfather's Craftsman wrenches...

nate
Old March 19th 10, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

landotter wrote:
Channelocks and a square of chamois remove Italian and Japanese caps
alike without marring. Doesn't look as fly hanging on your wall,
though.

Andre Jute wrote:
Was ist das "channelock"?

USA brand name which has become a generic term here for:
http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/kn...ter-pump-plier

We like these Knipex tools but we prefer Channelock end cutters:
http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...ter_P128C9.cfm

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old March 19th 10, 10:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 19, 3:32 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

I bet you have a whole collection of vise-grips, and on your front
lawn a pile of ruined components six feet high.

Andre Jute
A redneck is someone with more curtains in his truck than his house.
Old March 19th 10, 10:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 19, 3:32 pm, "D'ohBoy" wrote:

[...]

Heah in NASCAH w'all call it 200 mile tape.Purtier hole than a donut.
Old March 19th 10, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
Was ist das "channelock"?

USA brand name which has become a generic term here for:http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/kn...ter-pump-plier

Putting something like that on a bike is crude beyond belief.

We like these Knipex tools but we prefer Channelock end cutters:http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...d_Cutter_P128C...

I prefer Knipex diagonal and side cutters to anything else, as do
every other electronics hobbyist I know. Expensive but by the end of
the first decade you will have spent ten times as much on lesser
tools, and the Knipex you will leave to your grandson, good as new. My
Knipex diagonal cutters were left to me by an old engineer in his will
together with his VTVM.

--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andre Jute
Toolfondler
Old March 19th 10, 11:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 19, 10:00*pm, Jobst Brandt wrote:
Andrew Muzi wrote:
Channelocks and a square of chamois remove Italian and Japanese
caps alike without marring. *Doesn't look as fly hanging on your
wall, though.
Was ist das "channelock"?

USA brand name which has become a generic term here for:

*http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/kn...ter-pump-plier

We like these Knipex tools but we prefer Channelock end cutters:

*http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...d_Cutter_P128C....

and the name arises from the channels that are visible on this version
of the brand name:

*http://www.channellock.com/

Of course Google can find all this for you.

My pet googler, dear Carl, is in suffering a three-year fit of pique.

Jobst Brandt

Andre Jute
When the librarians go on strike, civilizations fall.
Old March 19th 10, 11:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Andre Jute wrote:
Was ist das "channelock"?

USA brand name which has become a generic term here for:http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/kn...ter-pump-plier

Putting something like that on a bike is crude beyond belief.

We like these Knipex tools but we prefer Channelock end cutters:http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...d_Cutter_P128C...

I prefer Knipex diagonal and side cutters to anything else, as do
every other electronics hobbyist I know. Expensive but by the end of
the first decade you will have spent ten times as much on lesser
tools, and the Knipex you will leave to your grandson, good as new. My
Knipex diagonal cutters were left to me by an old engineer in his will
together with his VTVM.

OT -- what are you using for a soldering iron? I soldered some Apple
power cords (for Macbooks) that broke, which involved soldering on to
those tiny little chip/diodes in the adapter plug. My ratshack $8
soldering iron was a pretty blunt tool. I did manage to repair both
cords and saved $140, though. Typical Apple -- make it look cool but
screw up a small detail that results in the failure of a minor but
expensive part for which there is no cheap knockoff. Most power cords
have substantial reinforcement at the adapter end (e.g. profiled
rubber/plastic at the head). -- Jay Beattie.
Old March 19th 10, 11:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Andre Jute wrote:
Was ist das "channelock"?

USA brand name which has become a generic term here for:http://www.toolspot.co.uk/product/kn...ter-pump-plier

Putting something like that on a bike is crude beyond belief.

We like these Knipex tools but we prefer Channelock end cutters:http://www.channellock.com/acb/store...d_Cutter_P128C...

I prefer Knipex diagonal and side cutters to anything else, as do
every other electronics hobbyist I know. Expensive but by the end of
the first decade you will have spent ten times as much on lesser
tools, and the Knipex you will leave to your grandson, good as new. My
Knipex diagonal cutters were left to me by an old engineer in his will
together with his VTVM.

Well, that's two recommends... all my side cutters are either
Channellock brand or else hand me downs from my grandfather or things I
picked up at a yard sale for dirt cheap. If I ever wear all of them
out, I'll have to check out Knipex

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.