Flat tire question

Old November 28th 12, 02:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Flat tire question

Not that kind of flat. Here in Northern Illinois it's been a while since I've had time to ride but 55's on Sunday beckon. Check out the bike and the back tire is flat; not sure how long it's been that way. Swap out the tube, holds air, but there's a definitely flat spot on the tire. Will that work itself out over time or is the tire toast?

Steve
Old November 29th 12, 11:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
simon

Celebrate Christmas, www.cycling-wear.com on the new jersey for the audience 10% off

,There are some clothing have lower discount,who want to buy cycling wear and

accessories, please remember our website, soyou can with the least amount of money to

buy your favorite cycling clothing or accessories from cycling-wear.com
Old December 2nd 12, 03:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
thirty-six

On Nov 28, 1:16*am, " wrote:
Not that kind of flat. Here in Northern Illinois it's been a while since I've had time to ride but 55's on Sunday beckon. Check out the bike and the back tire is flat; not sure how long it's been that way. Swap out the tube, holds air, but there's a definitely flat spot on the tire. Will that work itself out over time or is the tire toast?

Steve

try it with a good slathering of butter and let us know.
Old December 3rd 12, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:16:23 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Not that kind of flat. Here in Northern Illinois it's been a while since I've had time to ride but 55's on Sunday beckon. Check out the bike and the back tire is flat; not sure how long it's been that way. Swap out the tube, holds air, but there's a definitely flat spot on the tire. Will that work itself out over time or is the tire toast?

Steve

All bicycle tubes leak air and over time they will go flat or nearly so. If they're left long enough with the tire flat they can develop the flat spot where the tire has been sitting.

Fully inflated to pressure this spot should disappear. If there is a flat spot at that time, with the tire inflated, riding it would jar your teeth out. So while it's possible that such a flat spot could work its way out (making certain that there is no tread damage in that spot and that the tread is not lifting off of the casing) you probably would want to change the tire out.

I will say that I've never seen such a flat spot stay in a tire after it was inflated. But I ride pretty high quality road tires.
Old December 4th 12, 06:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ben Kaufman

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 17:16:23 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

Not that kind of flat. Here in Northern Illinois it's been a while since I've had time to ride but 55's on Sunday beckon. Check out the bike and the back tire is flat; not sure how long it's been that way. Swap out the tube, holds air, but there's a definitely flat spot on the tire. Will that work itself out over time or is the tire toast?

Steve

From what you describe it sounds like time for a new tire.
Old December 18th 12, 09:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Tuesday, November 27, 2012 5:16:23 PM UTC-8, wrote:
Not that kind of flat. Here in Northern Illinois it's been a while since I've had time to ride but 55's on Sunday beckon. Check out the bike and the back tire is flat; not sure how long it's been that way. Swap out the tube, holds air, but there's a definitely flat spot on the tire. Will that work itself out over time or is the tire toast?

Steve

The first thing to do in a case like this is to remove the tire and inspect it carefully. Look for cracking rubber on the treads or sidewalls or shredding of the rim of the tire. If you see any of this throw the tire away.

If the tire looks serviceable other than a flat spot check that spot to see if it is in the treat or simply a set from being flat for so long. If it is just from being flat, inflate the tire and see if it's still there. If so you can ride it carefully for awhile to see if that spot comes out. If after a mile or two it doesn't replace the tire.

Remember that perfect inner tubes lose air over time and given enough time will go flat with no problems. That's why you always check a tube by pumping it up and passing it through a bucket of water and look for an actual leak.

Flat tire or Popped tire? beeper Unicycling 3 June 14th 07 05:59 AM
How often do you get a flat tire ? Gazza Australia 20 August 12th 04 01:14 PM
Flat Tire Worminton Unicycling 2 June 26th 04 11:01 PM
Flat Tire Repair Question from MB Newbie Sorni Mountain Biking 43 August 29th 03 01:14 PM
flat tire question The Causey Way Techniques 2 July 19th 03 05:41 PM