Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Old May 13th 18, 07:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

Frank Krygowski wrote:
:On 5/12/2018 6:49 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:
: David Scheidt writes:
:
: Frank Krygowski wrote:
: :On 5/11/2018 4:10 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
: : :On 5/10/2018 11:19 PM, David Scheidt wrote:
: : : Frank Krygowski wrote:
: : : :On 5/10/2018 6:15 PM, John B. wrote:
: : : :
: : : : I suspect that you, like I, are what might be called a sensible rider.
: : : : RE, door zones, just slow down a bit so you have time to dodge the
: : : : door if necessary.
: : :
: : : :Um... no, that's not sensible.
: : :
: : : :Consider what happens if you're riding just 15 kph and a driver pops his
: : : :door open as you pass his rear bumper. There's no way to stop in time.
: : :
: : : :If you're lucky, you'll hit his door squarely and crumple beneath it. If
: : : :you're unlucky, you'll snag the door edge with your right handlebar, the
: : : :bike will steer to the right, your body will be thrown down to the left,
: : : :and the motor vehicle you were worried about will run over you.
: : :
: : : :Unlike mountain lion attacks, dooring really is a danger. Most states
: : : :don't record it as a car-bike collision, because they record those only
: : : :if the car was moving. But Chicago did keep track, and found that
: : : :something like 20% of car-bike crashes were doorings.
: : :
: : : And we have a $1000 fine for causing an accident by dooring -- and the
: : : cops write the tickets.
: : :
: : : on't ride in the door zone. Just don't.
: : :
: : : Yeah, you live in smallsville. If I don't ride in the door zone, it
: : : takes me three times as long to get to work.
: :
: : :Why are those the only choices? Details, please. What happens if you
: : :move a few feet left?
: :
: : My commute invovles riding past a mile (literally, one mile) of cars
: : that are stopped at stop signs or lights. Riding between them and
: : parked cars gets me to the light or sign in one cycle. Moving to the
: : left puts me in stopped traffic.
:
: :OK. That's an unusual situation, one that I think is quite rare. We
:
: Sounds like progress. Several years ago I described riding past more
: than a mile of cars on a typical commute (not even properly in the
: city), and you simply refused to concede that such a thing was possible,
: never having observed it in your global travels.

:I was being nice. I'm still pretty skeptical. Example: David says the
:backup is "one mile (literally one mile)" but he says if he rides past
:in the door zone he gets gets to the light in one cycle.

multiple lighs, Frank.

I'm in chicago. The interesting part of my ride, for this purpose,
are shown on this map:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ys...&usp=shar ing

These are the areas where I pass stopped cars. It's rare that I'd be
doing the whole distance drawn, which google tells me is 1.75 miles, but
the section on kimball, especially between foster and lawarance is always
bad (There's a high school there.). The section of montrose is full
of cars, always, at my commute time. How much of that I ride through
when the lights are red and the cars are stopped depends on the day,
but typically I hit the light at california, and there are cars backed
up from the light at Virginia, and often all the way to Western, and I
ride faster than they do, even if they're moving. When school is not in
session, I take a route that's further north and doesn't have as much
traffic, but it has an elementary school full of stupid parents who drive
their kids there, and let them get out where ever, so it's impassable on
a bike (or car).

--
sig 25
Old May 13th 18, 09:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

John B. writes:

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

It would seem hard to judge light cycles from a mile away.

The most common traffic light cycles are one minute, split evenly
between the two directions. OK, maybe this light has longer cycles -
say two minutes instead of one. Is he really averaging 30 miles per
hour as he rides past one mile of cars in the door zone?

And I'm still curious about which city he's riding - and now, which
city you're riding in.

The backup I described was in Concord MA, waiting for a four-way stop --
it's not urban at all, but the streets are busy at rush hour. I also
described a backup nearly as long on the street where I used to live in
Lowell MA, which is urban, and split by a river with limited bridge
capacity.

I no longer either live or work in the same places, so I don't ride that
way much any more.

But again, I think such a situation must be pretty rare. Give me more
information to educate me.

Traffic congestion is a worldwide phenomenon. That you have managed to
avoid it is fortunate for you. Having to be at work right on time in
the morning makes life harder, and is something that one might not
notice even when travelling through a congested city.

I'm retired and so don't have to be "at work right on time" but we do,
on occasion fly somewhere and the Airlines now require that a
passenger check in on time or they give his seat to someone else, so
the effect is the same.

So far I haven't found a burden... get up early enough to get to _ _
_ _ on time.

You do that what, three or four times a year? And 10,000 of your
neighbors don't happen to have the same appointment?

Perhaps if all those people in Bangkok were to take a page from your
lesson book their roads would all look like Cowntown, NH, back in 1943.
Or maybe not.

Old May 13th 18, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

: David Scheidt writes:
:
: : : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I notice a huge difference in traffic at the beginning and end of the
school year, even in places not that close to schools. The increase in
mileage and decrease in flexibility required to drop the sprogs off
every day really clogs the roads.

If only making them walk, or ride a bike, or take the bus to school
were not considered tantamount to child abuse ...

Old May 13th 18, 10:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Dude, it's what anyone who rides in ****ing city experiences every
day.

Dude, I rode to work in two different cities thousands of times. I rode
through hundreds of other cities while bike touring or while on various
vacations. I didn't ever experience it.

It depends on the city, dude.

:If that's what you're dealing with, I'd suggest riding _really_ slow,
:and perhaps making noise as you ride. As I hinted to John, at anything

Why the **** don't I just walk then?

Hey, it's up to you. But if you want me to tell you that riding at
normal speed in a door zone is smart, you're going to be disappointed.
In fact, I don't know of any recognized bike training program that
condones it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dooring

What city are you riding in?

Portland! I ride in the door zone on the commute into work. Otherwise, you sit in traffic all morning. You do it carefully, and it's legal under Oregon law. I've been doing that for 32 years on the same road (sad fact) without getting doored. Now with all this fretting, I just know I'm going to get doored on Monday! I also squeeze around a lot of construction and the giant garbage trucks that park in the lane at morning rush hour -- just to compound the mess.

The real threat, however, is pedestrians. On SW 4th in downtown PDX, there is a cross walk every ten feet and not just at the lights. There are far too many cross walks, and the pedestrians should put down their double-venti mocha frappucinos and walk an extra thirty feet to a light and burn off a calorie or two. Anyway, if you're squeezing up the right or left through stopped traffic, you can end up with pedestrians launching off the curb that you can't see. My strategy is to hit them . . . hit them hard and then ride off. Most of them are looking at their phones and couldn't ID me anyway. I try to snatch the phone and whatever other valuables are within my grasp.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old May 14th 18, 12:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Nope. I get up early enough and I got up early enough get to work on
time for my entire USAF career and then when I retired from that
career I got early to beat my office staff into work for another 30 0r
so.

Perhaps if all those people in Bangkok were to take a page from your
lesson book their roads would all look like Cowntown, NH, back in 1943.
Or maybe not.

The population of Bangkok is about 8.2 million and a goodly share of
those attend school so from about 05:3, or thereabout morning traffic
in Bangkok is pretty heavy.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 14th 18, 04:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]
: : Yeah, you live in smallsville.Â* If I don't ride in
the door zone, it
: : takes me three times as long to get to work.
:
: :Why are those the only choices? Details, please. What
happens if you
: :move a few feet left?
:
: My commute invovles riding past a mile (literally, one
mile) of cars
: that are stopped at stop signs or lights.Â* Riding
between them and
: parked cars gets me to the light or sign in one
cycle.Â* Moving to the
: left puts me in stopped traffic.

:OK. That's an unusual situation, one that I think is
quite rare. We

Sounds like progress.Â* Several years ago I described
[...]

typically:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfPebMP6SMg

including a non-fatal door at 6:33. I skipped through the 18 minutes,
noting there are bike stripes which weren't there back when I ride North
Clark from time to time. Overall, on one street, you get a
representational mix of urban commuter joys and sorrows.

Nothing wrong with taking a lane when appropriate but it's not always
appropriate. Or reasonable.

I watched a lot of that video, skimming some parts. Here's how it looked
to me:

The rider appeared glued to the door zone, passing dozens of parked cars
very closely. Most of the time he was doing that, the lane appeared
empty to his left. I can only assume this guy had never even heard of
door zones. I absolutely would have avoided the door zone. (And BTW, I
saw sharrows in the door zone, bike lanes in the door zone. One serious
tip is "Don't let paint do the thinking for you." Avoid that crap.)

Once that rider got deep into central Chicago, there was one place just
before the river crossing where he passed 20 - 25 cars. That's nowhere
near a mile of cars, of course.

In that situation, would I have filtered forward? Probably so. Would I
ride in the door zone to do that? Maybe yes, maybe no. Passing on the
left is usually safer than passing on the right. If I did pass on the
right and in the door zone, I'd certainly be riding very, very slowly -
like 10 mph or so. I think blasting at speed between parked cars and
stalled traffic is really foolish.

But again, that long backup is a situation that happens only very rarely
around here. I know where that happens, and I find routes to avoid it. I
do have some situations where filtering forward might save me one
traffic light cycle. In that case, I generally do not filter forward. As
with the "No Turn on Red" intersection that leads into my neighborhood,
I think it's important to demonstrate that _some_ cyclists play by the
rules. And how is a cyclist who violates laws to save a minute any
better than a motorist who violates laws to save a minute? How will I
change my life with that minute?

For the record, I've ridden downtown traffic at 5 PM in the very heart
of Pittsburgh, in a thunderstorm. I did it by following the normal rules
of the road and taking my place in the lane. I didn't get flattened by a
bus or even honked at by a driver. I got where I was going just fine.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 18, 05:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

: David Scheidt writes:
:
: : : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

I guess I don't understand. First, it sounds like you're now talking
about far less than a mile of backup.

Second, it's a very dense grid layout. I don't understand why you can't
choose parallel streets with less traffic. It looks like Bernard even
has a bike/ped crossing over a creek, which should cut way down on N-S
car traffic.

Obviously, I don't know the area. But my first thought in looking at the
map is "Wow, look at all the choices!"

Way, way back (1977) when I first started near-daily commuting, I
discussed my route problems with an older cycling mentor. He said "I'd
absolutely go a couple blocks out of my way if it gave me a more
pleasant ride." I think that's good advice.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 18, 05:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/12/2018 9:37 PM, Radey Shouman wrote:

Traffic congestion is a worldwide phenomenon. That you have managed to
avoid it is fortunate for you. Having to be at work right on time in
the morning makes life harder, and is something that one might not
notice even when travelling through a congested city.

One of my more interesting commuting events happened the day the local
newspaper sent a reporter to interview me about my biking to work. It
happened at a time that my normal, more pleasant route to work was being
repaved, so I had to ride a busier road. But I told the paper the route
I'd be using, and they stationed a photographer along the way. (Got a
great photo of me and printed it about 8" x 14". I have a copy of the
article and photo hanging in my study.)

Anyway, the odd choice of route paid off. Just beyond the busiest spot,
I spied a socket from a socket wrench set lying on the road; then
another, and another. Then the ratchet handle. Then the case.

I knew the reporter was going to be waiting at my office at 9 AM, but
this was too good to pass up. I parked the bike and gathered all the
wrenches. Not one socket was missing. They all went into my handlebar
bag, and I rode off.

The other photo in the article is one of me unlocking the door to my
office, with my bike leaning on the wall. As the reporter said, I
arrived for the appointment precisely on time.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 18, 05:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 5/13/2018 5:32 PM, jbeattie wrote:
I ride in the door zone on the commute into work. Otherwise, you sit in traffic all morning. You do it carefully, and it's legal under Oregon law. I've been doing that for 32 years on the same road (sad fact) without getting doored.

Wow. I've had car doors pop open just as I passed the car with plenty of
clearance. If I were four feet further right, I'd have gotten doored.

Now with all this fretting, I just know I'm going to get doored on Monday! I also squeeze around a lot of construction and the giant garbage trucks that park in the lane at morning rush hour -- just to compound the mess.

Squeezing by slowly is one thing. Riding through at speed is another.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old May 14th 18, 10:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

: : Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Filming with a GoPro or the like looks always scarier than it is in real life. You don't have to ride completely out of the doorzone. You only need to have some reaction time. Doors don't open in a millisecond. People blasting along cars within the doorzone thinking that it could not happen are stupid.

Lou