SM+ question: 700x35c -or- 700x38c for Chicago year round commuting?

Old April 1st 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

Default SM+ question: 700x35c -or- 700x38c for Chicago year round commuting?

RTC is having trouble getting my spec'ed 700x38c SM+ tires
(backordered). They do have the same tire in 700x35c. I am 210lbs,
20lbs cargo (pack on the rear rack + small backpack), 5000 road miles
per year.

Should I just go with the narrower tire?

J.
Old April 1st 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 1, 1:49*pm, Jay wrote:
RTC is having trouble getting my spec'ed 700x38c SM+ tires
(backordered). They do have the same tire in 700x35c. I am 210lbs,
20lbs cargo (pack on the rear rack + small backpack), 5000 road miles
per year.

Should I just go with the narrower tire?

J.

The difference is going to be imperceptible. Go with the stock tire.

Joseph
Old April 1st 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Apr 1, 7:05*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 1, 1:49*pm, Jay wrote:

RTC is having trouble getting my spec'ed 700x38c SM+ tires
(backordered). They do have the same tire in 700x35c. I am 210lbs,
20lbs cargo (pack on the rear rack + small backpack), 5000 road miles
per year.

Should I just go with the narrower tire?

J.

The difference is going to be imperceptible. Go with the stock tire.

Joseph

Thanks Joseph,

That's what I will do.

J.

Old April 1st 08, 04:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 1, 4:19*pm, Jay wrote:
On Apr 1, 7:05*am, "

wrote:
On Apr 1, 1:49*pm, Jay wrote:

RTC is having trouble getting my spec'ed 700x38c SM+ tires
(backordered). They do have the same tire in 700x35c. I am 210lbs,
20lbs cargo (pack on the rear rack + small backpack), 5000 road miles
per year.

Should I just go with the narrower tire?

J.

The difference is going to be imperceptible. Go with the stock tire.

Joseph

Thanks Joseph,

That's what I will do.

J.

It's only because Schwalbe makes a huge array of sizes that I am not
surprised that tires in those 2 such close sizes are available at all.

I haven't been following lately, have you posted what your new bike
choice is?

Joseph
Old April 1st 08, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay[_2_]

On Apr 1, 10:11*am, "
wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:19*pm, Jay wrote:

On Apr 1, 7:05*am, "

wrote:
On Apr 1, 1:49*pm, Jay wrote:

RTC is having trouble getting my spec'ed 700x38c SM+ tires
(backordered). They do have the same tire in 700x35c. I am 210lbs,
20lbs cargo (pack on the rear rack + small backpack), 5000 road miles
per year.

Should I just go with the narrower tire?

J.

The difference is going to be imperceptible. Go with the stock tire.

Joseph

Thanks Joseph,

That's what I will do.

J.

It's only because Schwalbe makes a huge array of sizes that I am not
surprised that tires in those 2 such close sizes are available at all.

I haven't been following lately, have you posted what your new bike
choice is?

Joseph- Hide quoted text -

Electra Royal 8.

More pics to follow, at this URL:

http://orion.neiu.edu/~jbollyn/bike/electra/

J.

Old April 1st 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 1, 6:06*pm, Jay wrote:
On Apr 1, 10:11*am, "

wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:19*pm, Jay wrote:

On Apr 1, 7:05*am, "

wrote:
On Apr 1, 1:49*pm, Jay wrote:

[...]

Looks good. Is the seatpost supposed to be like that?

Joseph
Old April 1st 08, 09:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 1, 3:41*pm, Werehatrack wrote:
On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 04:49:41 -0700 (PDT), Jay may
have said:

RTC is having trouble getting my spec'ed 700x38c SM+ tires
(backordered). They do have the same tire in 700x35c. I am 210lbs,
20lbs cargo (pack on the rear rack + small backpack), 5000 road miles
per year.

Should I just go with the narrower tire?

3mm isn't all that much, but in this case I'd simply swap to a
different 38. *

A 35mm gumwall tire can take a heck of a load and abuse. I wouldn't
worry.

Old April 1st 08, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Joseph Santaniello wrote:

It's only because Schwalbe makes a huge array of sizes that I am not
surprised that tires in those 2 such close sizes are available at all.

The Schwalbe Marathon Plus "700x38" is in fact a 622-40, and it says
so on the sidewall.

Chalo
Old April 1st 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

On Apr 1, 6:49 am, Jay wrote:
RTC is having trouble getting my spec'ed 700x38c SM+ tires
(backordered). They do have the same tire in 700x35c. I am 210lbs,
20lbs cargo (pack on the rear rack + small backpack), 5000 road miles
per year.

Should I just go with the narrower tire?

Either one is fine. The so-called 700x38 is actually a 40mm tire.
The nice thing about using the smaller tire is that the gummy tread
insert both makes the tire taller and softens the ride (no matter how
much tire pressure you choose to use).

The 700x38 would be preferable for unpaved surfaces just because of
its larger contact patch. The 700x35 weighs three to four ounces less
per tire.

Chalo