Choosing a very special crank

Old March 3rd 10, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Choosing a very special crank

A CRANKSET FOR MY UTOPIA KRANICH

My crank must
*be elegantly slender,
*suit a 1935-1955 style of bike,
*offer a wide tread (high Q-factor),
*have a 54mm chainline (Rohloff),
*fit square taper (preferably JIS) axle,
*use a standard 22mm extractor,
*take a 9/16in pedal,
*be 170mm long (or 167.5mm),
*employ a 50.4mm BCD in order to
*work with the existing chaincase (1in/25mm deep, max).
*attach a chain-ring/wheel/disk with 38 teeth

****
Clearly the narrow-Q TA Pro 5 Vis/Stronglight 49D/Sugino PX/Nervar/VO
Grand Cru copy won't do; I've already looked into them closely and at
best they would require a very thick spacer between the drive plate
and the chaindisk, and very likely a special BB of over 140mm axle
length too for frame and chaincase clearance and tread width. We're
now getting into offsets the original designers didn't allow for, and
into unnecessary Phil-custom money for what in the end is about
appearances.

****
So which crank can I have new or new old stock (NOS) with a 50.4 BCD
that looks as good as a 49D or a Maxy but has a modern MTB/Rohloff
chainline and tread?

Thanks for your input.

Andre Jute
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf
Old March 3rd 10, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
D'ohBoy

Default Thermos for Jutie WAS Choosing a very special crank

Oh I'm picking out a thermos for Jute
not an ordinary thermos for Jute
but the extra best thermos you can buy
with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in

I'm picking out a thermos for Jute
and maybe a barometer too
and what else can I buy
so on me you'll rely
a rear end thermometer too
Old March 3rd 10, 06:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Mar 3, 7:26*am, "D'ohBoy" wrote:
Oh I'm picking out a thermos for Jute
not an ordinary thermos for Jute
but the extra best thermos you can buy
with vinyl and stripes and a cup built right in

I'm picking out a thermos for Jute
and maybe a barometer too
and what else can I buy
so on me you'll rely
a rear end thermometer too

Lord loves a workin' man; don't trust whitey; see a doctor and get rid
of it.
Old March 6th 10, 08:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Mar 3, 1:10*am, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Lou Holtman wrote in another thread (that one's on cotter pins!):

Andre is your crankset worn out already? No? Leave it. Don't get that
'vintage' crap.

The crankset on my Kranich is a long way from being worn out. But it
is an inexpensive Indian Amar Onyx, selected by someone else because
it was instantly available and steel and black and thinner than the
Utopia standard and only fitment for 38T Rohloff installations of the
ugly, fat-armed Sugino Mighty. But the Amar, while reasonably
slender, is a bit amorphously styled. So I want something more
positively styled. It is the last element in fitting out my bike and
I'm not giving up on it.

I came to what Lou calls the 'vintage crap' because I want to use
whatever crank I get for aesthetic reasons with the Country chaincase,
which has a very small opening for the crank-arm to exit, and is so
shallow front to back that the spider will have to spin in that
opening. So the 50.4mm BCD on the TA Cyclotouriste spider started
looking good; I like the style of those cranks anyway. But that narrow
TA Q factor would kill my knees, and anyway on my 60mm balloon-tyred
bike the chainstay clearance with the widest BB I will consider
fitting (131mm) will still be very dicey. Even worse, it is possible
that there is not enough space between outer chainring and crank of
the TA to fit a chain case...

At the moment I'm looking at the Middleburn RS7 Uno, which has the
combined spider/crankring fixed by a threaded retainer ring that would
probably not interfere with my chaincase. The Middleburn appears to be
finished for rough work but I don't mind refinishing and polishing it
myself. The basic styling is attractive. Unfortunately, just as I
become interested, Middleburn has let their old models run out of
stock in order to launch the new, proprietary external BB, model that
they've been promising for years... Aargh! http://www.middleburn.co.uk/
Incidentally, I looked at Middleburn two years ago while I was
investigating the Kranich, and didn't order a set of Middleburn cranks
at that time because they didn't yet have the 38 tooth chainwheel that
I wanted to use with my Rohloff setup; they now have it in a
'hardcote' version for the Uno too.

Andre Jute
The only diet that works is exercise

Help choosing a GPS Mr.mobile Techniques 26 November 13th 09 09:46 AM
Help choosing a GPS Mr.mobile Racing 1 November 6th 09 08:10 PM
Choosing a BB [email protected] Techniques 9 August 9th 07 02:28 AM
choosing my first mtb J_T_Magnino Mountain Biking 5 May 31st 05 10:12 PM
FS: FSA Special Edition Carbon Crank Scott Morrison Marketplace 0 January 27th 05 05:59 PM