Advice on a good hardtail.

Old May 26th 04, 02:45 AM
frodge

Default Advice on a good hardtail.

Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good hardtail to bu
for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam of about 31". I will be usin
the bike for trail-riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8 feet an
stuff. Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills

-

Old May 26th 04, 02:51 AM
tcmedara

frodge wrote:
Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good hardtail to
buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam of about 31". I will
be using the bike for trail-riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8
feet and stuff. Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills.

http://tinyurl.com/3cglf

Not sure if you can get it for under $1000, but it looks fun to ride.

Tom (just tryin' to help)

Old May 26th 04, 02:55 AM
S o r n i

frodge wrote:
Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good hardtail to
buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam of about 31". I will
be using the bike for trail-riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8
feet and stuff. Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills.

That's a /fairly/ long inseam for your height, so it's even more important
that you enlist the help of professionals with bike selection and fit.

In other words, visit some Local Bike Shops (LBSs) and ask questions and
take test rides.

You can get a helluva bike for a grand these days, but it MUST FIT or you
won't enjoy riding it.

Bill "go forth and shop" S.

Old May 26th 04, 02:56 AM
S o r n i

tcmedara wrote:
frodge wrote:
Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good hardtail to
buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam of about 31". I will
be using the bike for trail-riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8
feet and stuff. Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills.

http://tinyurl.com/3cglf

Seat looks comfortable.

Not sure if you can get it for under $1000, but it looks fun to ride.

You pig.

Bill "a fan" S.

Old May 26th 04, 04:02 AM
Craig Brossman

Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good hardtail to buy

--

You're pretty new to the board, as you said. Try not to use the word
"serious", it seems frowned upon

Craig Brossman

Old May 26th 04, 04:15 AM
D-DUB

go to your local bikeshops and look for a good deal on last years
models....most bang for the buck.

.. .

Old May 26th 04, 04:32 AM
Chris

" S o r n i" wrote in message
frodge wrote:
Hi. I am pretty new to the board and want to know a good hardtail to
buy for around $1000. I am 5'7, with an inseam of about 31". I will
be using the bike for trail-riding. Nothing serious like jumping 8
feet and stuff. Basic trail riding with roots and mud and hills.

That's a /fairly/ long inseam for your height, so it's even more important
that you enlist the help of professionals with bike selection and fit.

In other words, visit some Local Bike Shops (LBSs) and ask questions and
take test rides.

You can get a helluva bike for a grand these days, but it MUST FIT or you
won't enjoy riding it.

Bill "go forth and shop" S.

Heh, this is the guy that inadvertently started the brawl over bike fit - he
said his 19.5" Trek felt great, but reading about bike fit convinced him he
was wrong.

Frodge, you just bought a bike. Ride it for at least a year. You're not
going to develop enough skills, ride enough miles, or race so much that the
low-end-Trek you have won't last. In that space of time you will have
learned enough to make your own decisions as to what you should ride. Don't
listen to us; you'll get everything from "rigid steel SS" to "Ti FS or
bust."

Chris

Old May 26th 04, 12:15 PM
frodge

Thanks guys. I will check back in 6 months to a year after I have put some miles on. I guess my skills are crap right now anyway and the Trek will be o.k. for now. :cool

-

Old May 26th 04, 02:32 PM
Dan Volker

"frodge" wrote in message
.. .
Thanks guys. I will check back in 6 months to a year after I have put some

miles on. I guess my skills are crap right now anyway and the Trek will be
o.k. for now.

One thing you might do---keep checking the Trek web site looking for when
the DEMO program comes to a trail within a reasonable distance of your
area... You can ride several different sized bikes, and also get the
assistance of the Trek people in choosing the right frame size for you.
And in particular, you can try riding several different styles of mountain
bikes on real trails--you can see how you like a good hard tail, how you
like a full suspension cross country bike, how you like an "All Mountain"
bike with 5 inches front and back suspension, how you feel about extremely
light versus extremely plush, etc. You get to do this over real obstacles,
not a parking lot where you can tell NOTHING about how the bike will ride
over technical obstacles for you.
A lot of people on this NG hate Trek, and with that in mind, I'll add that
the DEMO program can help you with what style of bike, and does not have to
be about choosing a Trek--you may decide you like an All Mountain design,
and then gravitate to some other manufacturer for the All Mountain bike you
will actually get ( or X-country, or hardtail, etc).
Personally, I like my Trek Liquid 25....its awesome in the rooty type of
riding we have in south florida, and its holding up well to the abuse I've
been giving it ( Got it in January, been hammering very rooty trails 3 to 4
days per week on average since then...I weigh 212 pounds now, and I put alot
of stress on a bike frame. For the people who claim the Treks have weak
backends, I have to say this is nonsense. I don't use it to jump off 7 foot
drops onto flat landings, but to me that is not mountain biking....If that's
what you like, get a bmx or freeride bike, start banging your head into
concrete walls for at least 30 minutes a day to help further reduce your IQ,
and try skateboarding in your spare time;-)

Regards,
Dan V

Old May 26th 04, 03:45 PM
frodge

Dan Volker wrote:
"frodge" wrote in message news:2%_sc.2-
-
netserver.com...
[...]

Haha. That last part is pretty funny. I just bought a Trek 4900 amont
ago and like it a lot. It is a little big for me because I didn't kno
anything until after I bought it. I know it is not a heavy duty trai
bike, but for right now it is not bad I guess. I will look into you
suggestions. The bike shop will not work with me with the issue that th
bike i a little big. For what I am doing right now, it seems to be ok

-