"Normal" XT stuff drying up

Old May 28th 04, 11:45 PM
TBF

Default "Normal" XT stuff drying up

I'm willing to bet this stuff drops down to LX next year. Prolly even
Deore.

Already has for 2005. Singletrack Mag had a photo shoot of the new LX gear

Old May 28th 04, 11:59 PM
The Nelson Paradigm

Andrew Thorne wrote:
|| We sold a set of XT 9s rapidfire pods today, then set about ordering
|| their replacement.
|| Nobody, and I mean NOBODY we do business with had them in stock.
|| Some of them blamed a shortage of Shimano parts.
|| More likely Shimano has already quit making these in favor of the
|| new XTR clone with the wiggly brake levers and the "Low normal" (son
|| of Rapid Rise) derailleur.
|| I'm willing to bet this stuff drops down to LX next year. Prolly
|| even Deore.
|| Keeping my good old stuff up is going to get harder and harder. Like
|| finding a good old long (127mm) bottom bracket spindle made of
|| quality metal.
|
| Point 1) Buy sram

Not unless they start making old fashion thumbshifters

| Point 2) UN-72's are still widely available.

Yes, and I'll use them when the cup and cone spindles wear out. I still
prefer the old school XT spindles.

My last one went onto my Big Sur a month ago. After that it's UN-73 (the
current version of UN72)

| Cheers,
|
| -Andre

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com
_______

Old May 30th 04, 01:36 PM
KLydesdale

"Pistof" wrote in message
. ..
"The Nelson Paradigm" wrote in message
We sold a set of XT 9s rapidfire pods today, then set about ordering

their
replacement.

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY we do business with had them in stock. Some

of
them blamed a shortage of Shimano parts.

More likely Shimano has already quit making these in favor of the new

XTR
clone with the wiggly brake levers and the "Low normal" (son of Rapid

Rise)
derailleur.

I'm willing to bet this stuff drops down to LX next year. Prolly even
Deore.

Make that bet.
http://tinyurl.com/2fp9w (links to cyclingnews.com)

XTR = XT = LX in 2005

I've spoken with Shimano reps about Dual Control and they feel very

strongly
that it's superior to Rapidrise. They bluntly told me that Rapidrise is
dead... DEAD!, I tell ya... D-E-A-D sniffling

To put it in one reps words, "The future is Dual Control. Rapidrise is

old,
being replaced..." All three I've spoken with have used "Dual Control"
w/the word "future" as if they are reciting something from their Shimano
propaganda.

Rapidrise has served me very well. I don't understand why I am being

forced
to adopt something else. Would it kill Shimano to keep both systems? I
guess so.

Was RapidRise ever really alive to begin with? I've never had it on any of
my bikes and none of the guys in my regular ride group has ever used it in
the ten or so years we've been riding together.

Remember, we're talking 'Normal" XT stuff here and RapidRise was far from
normal for XT derailleurs.

Old May 30th 04, 06:40 PM
G.T.

"KLydesdale" wrote in message

"Pistof" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Replace RapidRise with RapidFire and the above makes more sense. Dual
Control is replacing RapidFire, and doesn't Dual Control use RapidRise or
whatever they're calling it now, anyway?

Greg

Old May 30th 04, 07:05 PM
The Nelson Paradigm

G.T. wrote:
| "KLydesdale" wrote in message
|| "Pistof" wrote in message
|| . ..
||| Make that bet.
||| http://tinyurl.com/2fp9w (links to cyclingnews.com)
||| XTR = XT = LX in 2005
||| I've spoken with Shimano reps about Dual Control and they feel very
||| strongly that it's superior to Rapidrise. They bluntly told me
||| that Rapidrise is dead... DEAD!, I tell ya... D-E-A-D sniffling
||| To put it in one reps words, "The future is Dual Control.
||| Rapidrise is old, being replaced..." All three I've spoken with
||| have used "Dual Control" w/the word "future" as if they are
||| reciting something from their Shimano propaganda.
||| Rapidrise has served me very well. I don't understand why I am
||| being forced to adopt something else. Would it kill Shimano to
||| keep both systems? I guess so.
|| Was RapidRise ever really alive to begin with?
|
| Replace RapidRise with RapidFire and the above makes more sense. Dual
| Control is replacing RapidFire, and doesn't Dual Control use
| RapidRise or whatever they're calling it now, anyway?

It's all in a name. When I asked the Shimano rep why the Dual Control uses
a Rapid Rise (reverse sprung) rear mech, he about bit my head off - it's now
called "Low Normal" (sounds to me like 'below normal' intelligence.)

It means that, with the shortage they are now experiencing, they are
concentrating on their new stuff and either ignoring or have totally
discontinued XT and XTR rear mechs with the proper springs in it.

I'll just come out and say it: The XT derailleurs (except the 8s wimpy
spring version) have always been my favorite. They work well and work long
and are worth every penny. I have 7s era rears working today. I *DO NOT
LIKE* the reverse spring mech. It relies on the spring to pull the chain to
larger cogs, instead of the smaller ones. A cable pulling the chain to
larger cogs works better and more reliably. Period.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com
_______

Old May 30th 04, 07:32 PM
G.T.

The Nelson Paradigm wrote:
G.T. wrote:
| "KLydesdale" wrote in message
|| "Pistof" wrote in message
|| . ..
||| Make that bet.
||| http://tinyurl.com/2fp9w (links to cyclingnews.com)
||| XTR = XT = LX in 2005
||| I've spoken with Shimano reps about Dual Control and they feel very
||| strongly that it's superior to Rapidrise. They bluntly told me
||| that Rapidrise is dead... DEAD!, I tell ya... D-E-A-D sniffling
||| To put it in one reps words, "The future is Dual Control.
||| Rapidrise is old, being replaced..." All three I've spoken with
||| have used "Dual Control" w/the word "future" as if they are
||| reciting something from their Shimano propaganda.
||| Rapidrise has served me very well. I don't understand why I am
||| being forced to adopt something else. Would it kill Shimano to
||| keep both systems? I guess so.
|| Was RapidRise ever really alive to begin with?
|
| Replace RapidRise with RapidFire and the above makes more sense. Dual
| Control is replacing RapidFire, and doesn't Dual Control use
| RapidRise or whatever they're calling it now, anyway?

It's all in a name. When I asked the Shimano rep why the Dual Control uses
a Rapid Rise (reverse sprung) rear mech, he about bit my head off - it's now
called "Low Normal" (sounds to me like 'below normal' intelligence.)

It means that, with the shortage they are now experiencing, they are
concentrating on their new stuff and either ignoring or have totally
discontinued XT and XTR rear mechs with the proper springs in it.

I'll just come out and say it: The XT derailleurs (except the 8s wimpy
spring version) have always been my favorite. They work well and work long
and are worth every penny. I have 7s era rears working today. I *DO NOT
LIKE* the reverse spring mech. It relies on the spring to pull the chain to
larger cogs, instead of the smaller ones. A cable pulling the chain to
larger cogs works better and more reliably. Period.

No need to convince me. I'll be switching to SRAM next time I need to
replace parts.

Greg

Old May 31st 04, 07:32 PM
Pistof

"KLydesdale" wrote in message

"Pistof" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yeah, not RapidRise. I can't believe I wrote that. I meant Rapid F-I-R-E.
Thanks.

Rapidrise has to do w/the derailleur, not the shifters. Ugh.

I remember when Shimano first introduced the RapidRise XTR derailleur.
Everyone was jokingly calling it RapidDemise, like it would be the end of
Shimano. Guess not.

Old June 1st 04, 11:11 PM
KLydesdale

"Pistof" wrote in message
. ..

"KLydesdale" wrote in message

"Pistof" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

You sounded so sure of yourself too. ;^)

I've tinkered with the Dual Control stuff on a friend's new bike - I
actually kind of like it. But not enough to pay the prices they're asking
to swap all my bikes over to it and it's not the kind of thing I can see
myself having on just one bike So I see SRAM trigger shifters in my
future.

Old June 2nd 04, 12:29 AM
The Nelson Paradigm

> [...]
| guess so.
|

| Was RapidRise ever really alive to begin with? I've never had it on
| any
| of
| my bikes and none of the guys in my regular ride group has ever used
it
| in
| the ten or so years we've been riding together.
|
| Yeah, not RapidRise. I can't believe I wrote that. I meant Rapid
| F-I-R-E.
| Thanks.
|

| You sounded so sure of yourself too. ;^)
|
| I've tinkered with the Dual Control stuff on a friend's new bike - I
| actually kind of like it. But not enough to pay the prices they're
asking
| to swap all my bikes over to it and it's not the kind of thing I can see
| myself having on just one bike So I see SRAM trigger shifters in my

I may eventually try to hook some dual controls up to a "normal" derailleur
and see if it works at all.

---
__o
_`\(,_ Cycling is life,
(_)/ (_) all the rest, just details.
The Nelson Paradigm =^o.o^=
http://intergalax.com
http://intbike.com
_______

Old June 13th 04, 09:40 PM
John Morgan

The Nelson Paradigm wrote:

> [...]
| any
| of
| my bikes and none of the guys in my regular ride group has ever used
it
| in
| the ten or so years we've been riding together.
|
| Yeah, not RapidRise. I can't believe I wrote that. I meant Rapid
| F-I-R-E.
| Thanks.
|

| You sounded so sure of yourself too. ;^)
|
| I've tinkered with the Dual Control stuff on a friend's new bike - I
| actually kind of like it. But not enough to pay the prices they're
asking
| to swap all my bikes over to it and it's not the kind of thing I can see
| myself having on just one bike So I see SRAM trigger shifters in my
| future.

I may eventually try to hook some dual controls up to a "normal"

Yeah, works great, as can be attested by any Specialized owner. Specialized
did not like the idea of being forced into Rapid Rise derailers, so they
bought a stockpile of standard derailers for use on their bikes.

Works just like it should, if you ask me.

John M

Accessory report: CamelBak stuff. Jonesy Mountain Biking 21 February 14th 04 07:56 PM
Testing all the new stuff (long gear review) gazzer Mountain Biking 3 January 16th 04 04:07 AM
Used stuff at shops? Matt J General 20 December 9th 03 10:15 PM
best bike stuff in San Francisco? MontanaBiker General 5 December 6th 03 04:53 AM