Coker Challenge - Durango Colorado - Never Been Done

Old May 20th 05, 12:42 AM
trailguy

Default Coker Challenge - Durango Colorado - Never Been Done

No unicyclist has ever tried this, at least according to event
organizers. It is possibly the longest running bike race in America,
the Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. Event leaders have just ok'd
unicyclists.

Any of you Coker folk want to give it a shot? (Or you might want to
learn about it and plan for a future entry.) I might be convinced to
host you at my home.

The course is challenging. It is 48 miles long and climbs two Colorado
mountain passes, Coal Bank Hill and Molas Pass, topping out at 10,900
feet. The scenery is spectacular, some of the best in the USA. There
is a huge amount of climbing (either 8600 or 5700 feet depending on the
information source) and less descending because the end point is at
higher elevation than the start.

More info is on their website: 'Iron Horse Bicycle Classic - 34th
Annual Road Tour' (http://www.ironhorsebicycleclassic.com/tour.html)

It happens in Durango, Colorado on Saturday, May 28th, starting at
8:15am. Completing it on a uni would be a tremendous accomplishment.

Anyone interested?

AspenMike?
GB4?
Tellurider?
Etc?

--
trailguy - uni is great
trailguy's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8788

Old May 20th 05, 01:33 AM
aspenmike

That ride is on my shortlist, which will include Red Mtn. Pass as well.
It's part of my Rocky Mtn High Tour planned for June this summer.
Unfortunatley, ( or fortunately), my family and I will be white water
rafting that weekend of the Iron Horse, so I won't be able to
participate. The rivers are coming up and are going to be rippin by
then. Thanks for the invite and the FYI, maybe 06'. Cheers.

--
aspenmike - unicycling albino
aspenmike's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3768

Old May 20th 05, 02:50 AM
trailguy

Yes Mike, I just returned from a short Coker ride along the Animas River
Trail in Durango. The river is RAGING and the boaters are all over
it.

Glad those mountain passes are a goal of yours, even if not during the
Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. How long do you think it might take you or
another capable uni rider to Coker from Durango to Silverton, the route
of the IHBC Race & Tour?

Old May 20th 05, 02:59 AM
aspenmike

trailguy wrote:
*Yes Mike, I just returned from a short Coker ride along the Animas
River Trail in Durango. The river is RAGING and the boaters are all
over it.

Glad those mountain passes are a goal of yours, even if not during the
Iron Horse Bicycle Classic. How long do you think it might take you
or another capable uni rider to Coker from Durango to Silverton, the
route of the IHBC Race & Tour? *

4-5 hours riding time/5-6 hours total time depending on photos etc.

Old May 20th 05, 05:36 AM
trailguy

aspenmike
4-5 hours riding time/5-6 hours total time depending on photos etc.

If this Iron Horse Race/Tour could be Cokered that fast, it would mean
you would get to uni most of the passes before the authorities allow the
automobile traffic to resume. Cool - those spectacular views without
traffic would be extra nice.

Old May 20th 05, 05:40 AM
gbarnes

trailguy wrote:
*

GB4?

*

If it wasn't on my anniversary I'd be there!

--
gbarnes - www.gb4mfg.com

George C. Barnes IV
GB4 Manufacturing, L.L.C.
http://www.gb4mfg.com/
gbarnes's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/174

Old May 20th 05, 11:33 PM
trailguy

Happy Anniversary George. Yeah, I could imagine how much trouble a guy
celebrating an anniversary might get into if he began the special day
with a monumental uni ride. Thanks for chewin' on it though.

It would be cool if a solid Cokeur came forward to try this challenging
ride, even a hardcore 29er. Especially cool for whoever does it
first.

There are a few of us in Durango and nearby towns that are lookin' at
beginning it, though I'm not sure any of us have what it takes to try to
complete the route.

Old May 20th 05, 11:39 PM
dubmuni2004

lol this is perfect. Im going to be in Durango the same weekend. So if
any of you guys are into the whole Muni thing...im always up for a good
ride. I hear there is quite a group in Durango, but I have no way of
contacting them.

--
dubmuni2004 - rusty spoons

blahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblahblah

AIM: IhaveAsuckySN
dubmuni2004's Profile:
http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5837

Old May 23rd 05, 05:30 AM
trailguy

It's official and it hit the local newspaper. For the first time ever,
unicycles are invited to ride the Iron Horse Classic from Durango to
Silverton.

Article appears 'here' (http://tinyurl.com/c2a4c) .

Can't wait to see if we have any unicyclist entries. Especially
exciting would be someone with a shot at completing the course and
finishing the race.

Any of you Telluriders? How about Norman in Ridgway?

Old May 23rd 05, 05:30 PM
Tellurider

Hi Trailguy, I sent you a PM. Dan.

--
Tellurider - Dan Wilson

There's a fine line between "Hobby" and "Mental Illness".
Tellurider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4972