heart monitor

Old August 8th 03, 04:42 AM
sec

Default heart monitor

On Thu, 7 Aug 2003 23:20:39 -0400, "John Koutsoupis"
wrote:

I just started riding --- plan on doing a century--- can anyone recommend a
good heart monitor?

When you feel that throbbing pain down your left arm... then stop!

Old August 8th 03, 05:14 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
John Koutsoupis wrote:
I just started riding --- plan on doing a century--- can anyone recommend a
good heart monitor -- is Polar all there is?

I own one of the Polar 510 HRMs. I think it was a waste of money.
I wish I had bought a $40 on-sale basic unit instead of a fancy
one. I find the Polar user interface is not up to the task of
managing that many features, and the difference between holding
a button and pressing a button (which have different meanings) is
too slight so I often get unexpected results. The basic Polar
HRMs I would still consider.

--Paul
Old August 8th 03, 08:40 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"John Koutsoupis" wrote:

I just started riding --- plan on doing a century--- can anyone recommend a
good heart monitor -- is Polar all there is?

There are many HRMs out there, from cheapo units to the Polars with PC
downloading.

I use a Cateye CC-100HB. It's a decent unit for a good price, with the
bonus feature of being a full-fledged cycle computer. I am satisfied
with it, but it doesn't do max HR readback (does max speed for bragging
rights, though).

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club