vintage brooks saddle

Old August 4th 03, 08:51 AM
Manimal

Default vintage brooks saddle

hey guys,

I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic of
a bike a few years ago. Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if
these are worth anything. Maybe someone else does.

Sorry, no pics to show.

Old August 5th 03, 02:03 AM
Jkpoulos7

I have no idea if
these are worth anything

It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those
plastic "numnutters". Apply some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont
want it I'll give you $5.
Old August 5th 03, 02:08 AM
NY Rides

I thought I had gold when I discovered a brand new B17 in a truckload of
stuff I got from an abandoned bike store. Unfortunately, I think the
highest offer I got on rec.bicycles.marketplace was $30.

Sorry.
--
Low-Impact Rides In The LI/NY Area
www.geocities.com/NYRides

Old August 5th 03, 03:18 AM
mark

"Manimal" wrote ...
hey guys,

I have a vintage B17 narrow Champion brooks saddle I salvaged off a relic

of
a bike a few years ago. Its quite old and in ok shape. I have no idea if
these are worth anything. Maybe someone else does.

Sorry, no pics to show.

Brooks is still making a wide range of old school high quality leather
saddles, which limits the value of the old ones. Clean it up, put it on your
bike, and ride it.
--
mark

Old August 5th 03, 01:26 PM
Stephen Harding

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

Jkpoulos7 wrote in message ...

It's worth riding. Try a brooks and you'll never go back to one of those
plastic "numnutters". Apply some leather treatment and ride it. If you dont
want it I'll give you $5.

And you're the guy that rides a steel frame.

Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.

I like the looks of a 135 gram Sella Italia SLR
on my oversized AL frame.

Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!

See just how far out of it you are?

But think of it more in art and aesthetics terms.

If the bike is of the proper color or color combination, addition of
a Brooks in "honey" can be a real aesthetic addition to the bike.

I've found the appearance of my dark forest green Trek 520 is much
enhanced with the addition of the honey brown Brooks. It's a real
style statement that a person with such sensitivities as yourself
can much appreciate, and make even better by the knowledge that many
others are incapable of perceiving the improvement!

And of course, the heavier saddle can be useful for training purposes.
Get back on your lightweight aluminum and plastic mount and you fly!

[The above stated in a very deep, manly voice of course!]

SMH
Old August 5th 03, 04:10 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Kevan Smith wrote in message ...

. Anything goes in November and December.
You even see some pros on those juvenile delinquent mountain bikes.

Not class guys like Me and Michele Bartoli !

Old August 5th 03, 04:26 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Stephen Harding wrote in message ...

And of course, the heavier saddle can be useful for training purposes.
Get back on your lightweight aluminum and plastic mount and you fly!

Stephen, at my level of cycling a winter junker is
something like a C-40 or Fondreist P4 that has
seen a season of racing, and as far as saddles
go the Selle Italia Flite is now considered the retro
classic - don't go lower than level, people notice!

It's safe to write someone off if they own a Brooks.
You don't want to be seen with that type.

Old August 5th 03, 06:09 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Bob M wrote:

On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin wrote:

SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

Apply some leather treatment and ride it.

I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.

Dick Durbin

On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body. Non-leather
saddles basically cause your body to mold to them. However, I've ridden
most of my miles on a non-leather saddle. Now that I have a Brooks,
though, I don't plan on going back to non-leather. My mountain bike is
still non-leather, though.

I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not
molded to the shape of my plastic saddle.

The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt
and saddle is your sit bones. Get that right, and bliss ensues.
Everything else is details.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club