vintage brooks saddle

Old August 5th 03, 06:30 PM
Stephen Harding

Default vintage brooks saddle

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

It's safe to write someone off if they own a Brooks.
You don't want to be seen with that type.

Oh dear!

I was hoping the power of aesthetics might save me in the eyes
of "real [tm]" bicyclists but hearing this from you leaves me
thinking I'm just destined to pedal my life through as member
of the bicycling fashion and style damned.

Rather sad I suppose.

SMH
Old August 5th 03, 06:52 PM
Dan Barch

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in message .ca...

Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!

I thought two decades ago guys like you were zygotes.
Old August 5th 03, 07:25 PM
Bob M

On Tue, 05 Aug 2003 10:09:56 -0700, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

In article ,
Bob M wrote:

On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin wrote:

SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

Apply some leather treatment and ride it.

I don't have to do anything to my saddle except ride it.

Dick Durbin

On benefit to leather saddles is that they mold to your body. Non-
leather saddles basically cause your body to mold to them. However,
I've ridden most of my miles on a non-leather saddle. Now that I have a
Brooks, though, I don't plan on going back to non-leather. My mountain
bike is still non-leather, though.

I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not molded
to the shape of my plastic saddle.

The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt and
saddle is your sit bones. Get that right, and bliss ensues. Everything
else is details.

I don't know -- I've done that and I find some saddles, particularly gel
saddles, to be quite fatiguing. I gave up on a wide gel saddle because of
that. My point was that I have non-leather saddles that still look exactly
like they did when I bought them. My Brooks looks like my butt. It's
indented where my sit bones are and it forms to me. On my non-leather
saddles, my butt forms to the seat.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply
Old August 6th 03, 03:33 AM
Mike Kruger

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in message news:ZgHXa.651615

Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.

At least in some bike shops, you are right.
I needed some Proofide for my Brooks saddle, and stopped in a bike shop I
was unfamiliar with.

me: "Do you have any Proofide?"
them: "What's that for?"
me: "It's a treatment for leather saddles."
them: "Nobody rides leather saddles anymore."
me: "I've got a leather saddle."
them: "Well, uh, uh, uh, well, we don't have any. You could just use shoe
polish."

(I believe the "shoe polish" remark was said out of ignorance and momentary
confusion, not malice.)

Old August 6th 03, 04:53 AM
Tom Sherman

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:

And you're the guy that rides a steel frame.

Come on, get with the times. Brooks is dead.

I like the looks of a 135 gram Sella Italia SLR
on my oversized AL frame.

Guys like me junked the cowhide two decades ago!

See just how far out of it you are?

I prefer a full sling mesh seat with an industrial hemp seat pad. The
best thing about this type of seat is Fabrizio secretly wants to sit on
it, but is too cowed by peer pressure to ever do so.

Old August 6th 03, 07:14 AM
Ryan Cousineau

Bob M wrote:

On 5 Aug 2003 04:44:02 -0700, Dick Durbin wrote:

I haven't tried a leather saddle, but I assure you my butt has not molded
to the shape of my plastic saddle.

The trick is to ensure that the primary point of contact between butt and
saddle is your sit bones. Get that right, and bliss ensues. Everything
else is details.

I don't know -- I've done that and I find some saddles, particularly gel
saddles, to be quite fatiguing. I gave up on a wide gel saddle because of
that. My point was that I have non-leather saddles that still look exactly
like they did when I bought them. My Brooks looks like my butt. It's
indented where my sit bones are and it forms to me. On my non-leather
saddles, my butt forms to the seat.

Well, de gustibus non disputandum etc., and that goes double for
saddles. What works, works.

The saddles I gave up on were both plastic shelled, though one had a
suede cover. Both were wide and seemed slightly concave. Maybe they were
both women's saddles; I don't know. The narrow saddle I use now just
fits my sit bones properly.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old August 6th 03, 10:13 PM
jacques

SOME folks find leather saddles comfortable. I'm not one of them.

I am one of those folks since I put a B17 on my commuter hybrid.
I still have a Selle Italia tri-something on my Bianchi road bike, and I'm
not fully comfortable on it, especially after 3 hours riding.

Is anyone here using a Brooks on a road bike ? and which model ?

Jacques
Old August 6th 03, 10:14 PM
Sorni

"jacques" wrote in message
news
Fabrizio,

Cycling is not *only* about fashion.

Who let this guy in the door?

Exclusive Bill

Old August 6th 03, 10:17 PM
Jkpoulos7

Is anyone here using a Brooks on a road bike ? and which model ?

I have a B17 standard on my Lemond. Love it. I will probably buy one for my MTB
and beater road bike they are that comfortable.