Odd interaction with a road rager

Old September 2nd 04, 01:45 AM
Mitch Haley

Calm n Collected wrote:
One neighborhood boy thought it was cute to ride his bike in the other
lane towards an oncoming car like you see in movies with two cars
racing towards
each other.

That's the big reason that we have bicycle helmets now.

What reason?
With or without a helmet you need a closed casket funeral when a kid
gets splattered on the front of a car in a head-on.

Mitch.
Old September 2nd 04, 02:34 AM
Badger_South

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 20:45:40 -0400, Ron McKinnon
wrote:

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:44:44 -0400, Roger Zoul wrote:
I suggest that, in the future, you do your best to avoid second encounters
with stupid people driving cars (assuming the first encounter was forced
upon you). It can't be good policy for a cyclist.

Probably a good piece of advice. At least in that respect, being
hot-headed, the road rager and I have something in common. However I've
never instigated anything with a motorist in my life, but I do tend to
respond in kind more than is probably wise.

Thus you need to have a cue or mantra to tell yourself when this happens
again. Think of something when you're feeling cool and rational, and then
when you feel tempted during a ride to do this, you can recall the advice.

Even those of us who are non-confrontational get juiced up with adrenaline
and pumped from riding and lose that better judgement.

Then when you get home, think positive thoughts about your ability to
resist the urge to confront.

-B

Old September 2nd 04, 05:49 AM
Chris BeHanna

On Wed, 01 Sep 2004 04:23:50 +0000, Jem Berkes wrote:

The car was some souped-up muscle car ...
I caught up two lights later ...

You should have asked him, if his car is so powerful how come you were able
to catch up to him? If that's too subtle for him just tell him he has a
small penis.

Nah.

If you were canoeing, and an empty boat drifted across your path,
it wouldn't make any sense to get angry at it.

It makes no more sense to get angry at road raging morons than it
does to yell at an empty boat.

Just repeat to yourself, "Empty boat."

I admit I'm not 100% perfect at this, but when I am successful,
it's very gratifying to NOT have gotten angry, and to NOT have let the
asshole spoil my day.

--
Chris BeHanna
Software Engineer (Remove "allspammersmustdie" before responding.)

I was raised by a pack of wild corn dogs.

Old September 2nd 04, 12:19 PM
Gawnsoft

On 1 Sep 2004 14:21:57 -0700, (Calm n Collected) wrote (more or less):
It seems that most urban riders are much more aware of safe and legal riding
techniques, but I've certainly seen a lot of oblivious peddlers in New York
City. This ****es ME off -- and I'm a cyclist. I can't imagine how it irks
a driver who only wishes he/she had a bicycle!

Don't let it get you so upset. Many parents don't have their
priorities straight and don't teach resposibility. They aren't
themselves responsible
and either is their progeny. Unfortunately we live in a fallen world.

One neighborhood boy thought it was cute to ride his bike in the other
lane towards an oncoming car like you see in movies with two cars
racing towards
each other.

That's the big reason that we have bicycle helmets now.

I'm a little confused. You now have biccylcle helmets so you can ride
bikes towards oncoming cars?

Or you now have bicycle helmets because another cyclist has ridden
towards oncoming cars?

In either event, please realise that bicycle helmets are not designed
to withstand head-on impacts from motor vehicles, but are designed for
falling off your bike when cycling at low speed.

Be thankful for each ride where you come home.

--
Cheers,
Euan

Old September 2nd 04, 03:15 PM

Mitch Haley wrote in message ...
[...]
So the question here is: Who had road rage - the truck driver or the
cyclist?

If you believe the cyclist's story, the driver was.
Somebody yelled at him, he responded in kind, [...]

"...he responded in kind..."

That's where the problem starts with road rage incidents.

If the victim of the initial act of road rage can just be cool and let
it pass, subsequent acts of stupidity do not occur. This true for both
motorists and cyclists.

In this case, if the cyclist had held his tounge for 2 seconds, he
would not be facing assault charges (which could be life-ruining), a
guy would not have been shot, multiple lawyers would not be 10's of
thousands of dollars richer, and this stupid avoidable case would not
be in the court system.

Responding to road rage just isn't worth it. Its not worth the risk to
your life, car, beater bike, or even your retro cycling apparel. Its
not even worth gritting your teeth for.

Old September 2nd 04, 03:21 PM
Calm n Collected

Calm n Collected wrote:
One neighborhood boy thought it was cute to ride his bike in the other
lane towards an oncoming car like you see in movies with two cars
racing towards
each other.

That's the big reason that we have bicycle helmets now.

What reason?
With or without a helmet you need a closed casket funeral when a kid
gets splattered on the front of a car in a head-on.

Mitch.

No, parents not teaching kids to be careful and paying attention is a
big reason people are wearing helmets. I have been riding 40 yrs
without a helmet, but then I am very careful and ride with the
assumption that all drivers are "challenged."

off road or on road tyre Skunk UK 14 July 21st 04 07:55 PM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 2 June 3rd 04 03:01 AM
Last Chance Road [email protected] Rides 1 April 29th 04 02:38 AM
on road and off road Richard Goodman UK 15 December 16th 03 04:03 PM
Sierra Nevada - Tioga/Sonora Pass [email protected] Rides 1 November 3rd 03 07:52 AM