Shimano clipless pedals

Old March 27th 17, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Shimano clipless pedals

I prefer single sided clipless pedals for city riding as they allow me
to clipped in when the road is clear and at the same time ride
"clipless", as it were, in dense traffic when one might want to get
either foot down quickly.

Previously I had always used Shimano M324 pedals but recently I find
that local shops seem to no longer stock them and Shimano A530 now
seem to be the pedal of choice so I now have two "city bikes" one with
M324 pedals and one with M530 pedals.

But I also have two pairs of bicycle shoes and had been wearing one
pair on my Wednesday morning rides and the other on my longer Sunday
rides. And, I had been using one bike for Wednesday rides and the
other for Sunday rides. No rational reason, I admit, but it was what I
had been doing.

Recently I had been doing some cleaning and servicing on the Wednesday
bike and rode the Sunday bike on a Wednesday with the Wednesday shoes
and found that the heal of one shoe was hitting the crank arm nearly
every revolution. Not actually slamming into the crank but brushing
it.

When I got home I did a comparison of the two bikes and the shoes and
found that with the Wednesday bike and the Wednesday shoes the shoes
were essentially "straight ahead" and the Sunday bike and Sunday shoes
were the same. But with either the Sunday bike and Wednesday shoes or
the Wednesday bike and the Sunday shoes the shoes were noticeably
angled.

Is this common that different "clipless" (how can one have clipless
pedals that clip on :-) pedals have the clips at different angles?

Hardly a problem that equals global warming but I am curious

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 27th 17, 12:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

John B. wrote:

[...]

Maybe it's the shoe? I recently bought a new pair of shoes and after
installing the cleats in what appeared to be the same position as on the
old shoes, I had the same thing that you described.

--
duane
Old March 27th 17, 01:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/26/2017 8:22 PM, John B. wrote:

[...]

The pedal mechanisms are the same and aligned to your pedal
spindle.

Humans are not symmetric and so besides being somewhere on a
range of toe-in to toe-out, most of us differ left foot to
right foot angle as well. Some riders are extremely
sensitive to cleat angle, complaining of knee pain when a
cleat is slightly misaligned to their stance. Others (me,
and apparently you too) seem to tolerate a range of cleat
angle without noticing. Or not noticing until your heel hit
the crank anyway.

You might try changing one cleat or another slightly and if
you didn't lubricate the cleat screws it's a good time to do
that too. We use a paint pen along cleat edges so you know
where the cleat started before making changes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 27th 17, 01:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 11:15:15 -0000 (UTC), Duane
wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

I'm not sure as the Wednesday" shoes have been kicking around for a
number of years. But to the best of my recollecting thy worked well
until I bough the new pedals, which I installed on the Sunday bike.

But what I have always done with new shoes is to spend a while getting
the clips (cleats?) in just the right place both centering and
angular.

So I think it is the pedals. But can't figure out why.

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 27th 17, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

wrote:

John B. wrote:

[...]

Don't know then. Maybe an adjustment. I'm not familiar with those
pedals though.
Old March 27th 17, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 07:05:35 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

Yup. Same length cranks. I unscrewed one set of pedals (shimano A530)
and replaced then with the new pedals.The distance from the center
line of the pedal cleats to the face of the crank is 53mm for the old
pedals and 55mm for the new pedals which, to be honest, I never
noticed. But the angle of the shoe in the new pedals was enough that
the crank arm brushed the inside of the heals.

Humans are not symmetric and so besides being somewhere on a
range of toe-in to toe-out, most of us differ left foot to
right foot angle as well. Some riders are extremely
sensitive to cleat angle, complaining of knee pain when a
cleat is slightly misaligned to their stance. Others (me,
and apparently you too) seem to tolerate a range of cleat
angle without noticing. Or not noticing until your heel hit
the crank anyway.

Noticeably so. When I went from the old toe cages and straps to
"clipless" pedals it seemed to take me forever to "get then just
right". In fact when I first tried clipless (Look, if I remember) it
did hurt my knees but the Shimano SPD pedals have been basically
painless (and I can walk in the shoes too :-)

You might try changing one cleat or another slightly and if
you didn't lubricate the cleat screws it's a good time to do
that too. We use a paint pen along cleat edges so you know
where the cleat started before making changes.

For "city riding" I always keep the pedals adjusted as loose as
possible since there are times when you gotta get a shoe on the
ground, NOW.

I clean the pedals when I wash the bike and give them a shot of
silicone lubricant, which, hopefully lubricates then without
attracting too much dirt.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 27th 17, 02:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/27/2017 8:13 AM, John B. wrote:
[...]

That's nice.
What I meant was lubricate the screws holding your cleats to
the shoe. Feet are always moist and those fasteners stick if
not protected from corrosion.

Old March 27th 17, 03:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

John B. wrote:
snip

Yup. Same length cranks. I unscrewed one set of pedals (shimano A530)
and replaced then with the new pedals.The distance from the center
line of the pedal cleats to the face of the crank is 53mm for the old
pedals and 55mm for the new pedals which, to be honest, I never
noticed. But the angle of the shoe in the new pedals was enough that
the crank arm brushed the inside of the heals.

So throw a 2mm spacer on the "short" pedals, adjust the cleats on the
corresponding shoes and ride off into the sunset.
Old March 27th 17, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/27/2017 10:17 AM, Ralph Barone wrote:
John B. wrote:
snip

Yup. Same length cranks. I unscrewed one set of pedals (shimano A530)
and replaced then with the new pedals.The distance from the center
line of the pedal cleats to the face of the crank is 53mm for the old
pedals and 55mm for the new pedals which, to be honest, I never
noticed. But the angle of the shoe in the new pedals was enough that
the crank arm brushed the inside of the heals.

So throw a 2mm spacer on the "short" pedals, adjust the cleats on the
corresponding shoes and ride off into the sunset.

I still use old-style clips and straps, because I want to ride using any
pair of shoes.

But a pair of sandals I bought last year slightly brushed the chainstays
on one bike. So I took the sandals to my bandsaw and removed about 1/4"
from the inside edge of the sole, at the heel. It didn't affect the
appearance of the sandals, and it solved my problem.

I know it's not an answer to your question, but it might remove your
frustration.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 28th 17, 02:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 27 Mar 2017 08:40:04 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

[...]

I don't believe that I ever lubricated the retaining screws on the
shoe cleats. What I've always done was to screw the cleats on, get
them aligned and than tighten the screws as tightly as I can, recheck
the alignment and ride the bike.

But aren't there sticky decal sort of things that go inside the shoe,
under the innersole and cover the metal inner "plate" that the cleat
screws fasten to? I had always thought they were to prevent water from
coming "up" through the slots in the sole but they would equally
prevent moisture from immigrating down. Wouldn't they?
--
Cheers,

John B.