The meaning of "quill" stems and pedals

Old March 15th 06, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default The meaning of "quill" stems and pedals

I have always wondered why traditional stems and pedals were called
"quill" stems and pedals. Then, I found out in the yahoo dictionary
that the definitions are :

1. The hollow stemlike main shaft of a feather. Also called
calamus.
8. A hollow shaft that rotates on a solid shaft when gears are
engaged.

Thus, it seems that according to (8) any pedals are "quill" pedals
(except perhaps M2 racer pedals). I am still not sure about stems,
though. If the term actually fits the definition then I would think
that any stem would be a "quill" stem.

Is this correct ??

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old March 15th 06, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Donald Gillies wrote:
I have always wondered why traditional stems and pedals were called
"quill" stems and pedals. Then, I found out in the yahoo dictionary
that the definitions are :

1. The hollow stemlike main shaft of a feather. Also called
calamus.
8. A hollow shaft that rotates on a solid shaft when gears are
engaged.

Thus, it seems that according to (8) any pedals are "quill" pedals
(except perhaps M2 racer pedals). I am still not sure about stems,
though. If the term actually fits the definition then I would think
that any stem would be a "quill" stem.

Is this correct ??

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Wouldn't know about the pedals, but the fixed part of the tube on the
stem is tapered and somewhat resembles the end of a quill pen.
Old March 15th 06, 08:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Donald Gillies writes:

I have always wondered why traditional stems and pedals were called
"quill" stems and pedals. Then, I found out in the yahoo dictionary
that the definitions are :

1. The hollow stemlike main shaft of a feather. Also called
calamus.
8. A hollow shaft that rotates on a solid shaft when gears are
engaged.

Thus, it seems that according to (8) any pedals are "quill" pedals
(except perhaps M2 racer pedals). I am still not sure about stems,
though. If the term actually fits the definition then I would think
that any stem would be a "quill" stem.

Is this correct ??

I think the word is derived from a hollow shaft, particularly an
expandable one.

Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:

# 1 a (1) : a bobbin, spool, or spindle on which filling yarn is wound
# (2) : a hollow shaft often surrounding another shaft and used in
# various mechanical devices b : a roll of dried bark cinnamon quills

Jobst Brandt
Old March 15th 06, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Donald Gillies wrote:
I have always wondered why traditional stems and pedals were called
"quill" stems and pedals. Then, I found out in the yahoo dictionary
that the definitions are :

1. The hollow stemlike main shaft of a feather. Also called
calamus.
8. A hollow shaft that rotates on a solid shaft when gears are
engaged.

Thus, it seems that according to (8) any pedals are "quill" pedals
(except perhaps M2 racer pedals). I am still not sure about stems,
though. If the term actually fits the definition then I would think
that any stem would be a "quill" stem.

Is this correct ??

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

Live & learn... I always thought it was because the angular "beak" that
goes inside the steerer tube resembled the point of the old writing
implement, a "quill pen".

http://www.onlyinhouston.org/attachm...Pen%20scan.jpg

rsquared

Old March 16th 06, 12:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

rsquared wrote:
Donald Gillies wrote:

[...]

That was always my take on it too.

And the quill pedal is the one with the outside "beak" (often as
annoying as a porcupine quill to those with wide feet.) and is usually
the main difference between "Road" and "Track" clip and strap pedals.

Marcus
Old March 16th 06, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Two different things...

On a stem, it's the "classic" stem with a tube that goes down inside the
fork's steering tube.

On (old) pedals like from the 80s and before, the ones with toe clips
and straps, the "quill" was a raised portion on the outside of the pedal
cage where it curved around (one-piece cages) - that is, opposite the
crank end. It supposedly held and supported the foot. In reality, it
limited how wide a foot you could have. Those with wide feet either cut
the silly thing off or they used "track" pedals.

Old March 20th 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 15 Mar 2006 12:32:12 -0800, "rsquared" wrote:

Live & learn... I always thought it was because the angular "beak" that
goes inside the steerer tube resembled the point of the old writing
implement, a "quill pen".

Those angular things are pretty new on the quill stem scene, it always
used to be a slit up the side of the tube plus a circular expander wedge.

Jasper
Old March 20th 06, 01:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 13:22:14 GMT, Jasper Janssen
wrote:

Those angular things are pretty new on the quill stem scene, it always
used to be a slit up the side of the tube plus a circular expander wedge.

Even on low-cost bikes?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old March 21st 06, 05:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jasper Janssen wrote:
On 15 Mar 2006 12:32:12 -0800, "rsquared" wrote:

Live & learn... I always thought it was because the angular "beak"
that goes inside the steerer tube resembled the point of the old
writing implement, a "quill pen".

Those angular things are pretty new on the quill stem scene, it always
used to be a slit up the side of the tube plus a circular expander
wedge.

Where have you been? Haven't seen you posting lately.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training