SWT/Cycle survey

Old July 2nd 04, 02:30 PM
Ianmel

Default SWT/Cycle survey

If you are in the South West Trains region, keep an eye out at your
railway station for a leaflet with a survey in it. SWT want to hear your
views on taking bikes on their services. Tell them how you feel!

Old July 2nd 04, 08:51 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

Ianmel typed

--

The leaflet only contains a postcard you return to them so they can put
you on their database. The whole premise of this phoney 'consultation'

SWT want to increase rush hour restrictions on cyclists. They seem to
wish to reduce cycle capacity all in all.

I went to Weymouth from London earlier this week (without a bicycle).
The whole of the centre coach was taken up by the buffet car, yet the
buffet closed at Brockenhurst, after which almost half the journey (in
time, at least) was without any use for that central car. This trip was
on a weekday afternoon.

We broke our return journey, to visit David's father in Christchurch. On
one train there were no catering facilities, so the central car was
unused, on one there was only a trolley, so again the centre car was
unused and it was only on our final train that the buffet car was in use
for the whole trip.

If they think the cyclists' use of space is uneconomical, I think they
should review the catering. Decent space that wouldn't require the
cyclist to hang bikes up could easily be supplied...

They might even prevent some of us getting cars and never using the
railway again...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old July 2nd 04, 11:39 PM
JohnB

Helen Deborah Vecht wrote:

Ianmel typed

If you are in the South West Trains region, keep an eye out at your
railway station for a leaflet with a survey in it. SWT want to hear your
views on taking bikes on their services. Tell them how you feel!

--

The leaflet only contains a postcard you return to them so they can put
you on their database. The whole premise of this phoney 'consultation'
seems wrong, IMHO.

SWT want to increase rush hour restrictions on cyclists. They seem to
wish to reduce cycle capacity all in all.

Exactly.

Firstly Get hold of some of the postcards from the CTC and hand them out
to fellow train using cyclists.

Secondly when travelling try and take note how many other passengers are
on the train. Some journeys I have made with bike (off-peak) I've made
up 50% of the train's custom.
Let the SRA know how much you use the trains and also what percentage of
the passenger numbers are cyclists.

John B